IGNORED

R1150RT Tail Light Modification

Sidmariner

I commute on my bike all year and in all weather (except in snow, which is rare here) and in the winter often find myself riding down the mountain and through the valleys in fog. I decided in the interest of safety it was prudent to really light up my bike, add lots of reflective stuff and wear bright clothing. My latest upgrade however, was the replacement of the stock tail and brake lights with a much brighter LED based system. After a little research I decided to go with the "Brake" LED light made by Gizmo Mill.

I live only a few miles from the fellow who makes the kit in Victoria BC, so I had the opportunity to check out his operation and speak to him before shelling out the big bucks for the mod.

There are actually two separate kits that can be bought. The first is the BRAKE module, which replaces the upper brake light bulb with two phenomenally bright LEDs (used to be 20 lower brilliance LEDs). A chip controls three optional light patterns from short strobe, long strobe to steady on. I chose the short strobe, which my riding buddies tell me really gets attention. One critical factor for me was my insistance that the modificaton not screw up the brake warning light on the instrument panel. (I had to undo changes on my older K1100LT because the warning triangle would not go out with someone elses flashing LED kit). It wasn't a safety issue, just an annoyance.

I bought the optional module which replaces the running/license plate light with two LEDs as well. The brightness of the running light is more than doubled without adding any additional heat.

The changeover took less than 5 minutes and I only needed a pair of needlenose pliers to pull off the old connectors. The new modules just bayonet into the existing holes.

I've got one more lighting project to go before I feel I'm completely geared up for "conspicuity". So far I've installed super-bright PIAA light bulbs for high and low beams, caliper-mounted Moto-lights and a set of yellow fog lights under the chin. I've got a set of Run-n-lights on order to make my turn indicators do double duty as running lights and turn signals. When all is said and done I will probably look like the CP Rail engine out of Vancouver...which is a good thing I think.

Just to clarify, I have no shares in the company, but I do think good ideas should be shared. Here are some shots of the Gizmos:

IMG_01701.jpg

Side profile:

IMG_01761.jpg

In place:

IMG_01781.jpg

Hmm, well they look extremely well made, $120 is quite a bit, but hopefully you will not have to lay out for any bulbs again, and you have made yourself stand out a lot more in traffic.

I used to have a set of the old hyper lites on my old R1150RT, however flashing brake lights are not allowed over here.

We hear quite a few instances of cars ploughing into the back of stationary traffic in the Canada/USA, however it is not too common over here in the UK, mainly because we only have small short roads.

Side profile:

IMG_01761.jpg

In this image I can see that the top LED is a wide angle type.

How does the LED illuminator compare with the incandescent illuminator as far as side view intensity?

As you astutely observed, the upper LED is a wide angle one which is actually used to effectively illuminate the licence plate. The other three are very high intensity LEDs, used for running and brake light functions. I have the units displayed upside down. Good eye! thumbsup.gif

Quite right, they are extremely expensive.

I had to take into consideration that fact that I live in the retirement capitol of Canada, in a town with one of the highest percentages of geriatric drivers in the country. If I don't have flashing lights, fireworks and waving flags on my bike I would stand a very good chance of being rammed by a little old lady in a monstrous old Buick.

I'd carry a tail-gunner if it was legal!

...If I don't have flashing lights, fireworks and waving flags on my bike I would stand a very good chance of being rammed by a little old lady in a monstrous old Buick.

I'd carry a tail-gunner if it was legal!

lmao.gif

10-4 watch your six! (LOL)

If I don't have flashing lights, fireworks and waving flags on my bike I would stand a very good chance of being rammed by a little old lady in a monstrous old Buick.

You still stand a very good chance of being rammed by a little old lady in a monstrous old Buick.

Never rely on the abilities of others for your own safety on a bike! Do everything you can, to make yourself as visible as you can, then ride knowing that none of it works.

Archived