IGNORED

Multivex Mirrors

Plasterman

Just got my multivex mirrors and was wondering if anyone had any good pointers on how to install them? Can't say I like the four small squares of two sided tape they give you to install them. There is also two strips of this tape on the outer side of the mirror so it attaches to the factory mirror at an angle, is this neccessary? Do people that have this mirrors like them?

Thanks

Tom

Haven't got multivex specific, but have installed convex on stock mirrors (06 rt). Use just enough two sided tape to keep mirrors(multivex) located and use automotive silicon as the main adhesive.This way heat/ moisture will not undermine the installation over time.You do get better/extended visual coverage if the mirrors are slightly raised on thier inside edges.you can adjust to personal preferance by thickness of silicon.Be neat, as silicon can get messy if you use too much.30min set time and you're good to go

Jerry Johnston

I pulled off the tape squares that came attached to the mirror and attached a much thinner double stick tape. I had to use two pieces in spots because of the curve. I also sanded the edges by laying the sandpaper on a flat surface and dragging the mirror over the s.p. but that may be more trouble than you want to go to.

I used the mounting tape that came with the mirrors. I filled the gap between the stock mirror and the Multivex with black silicone caulk on the top and sides only. I left the bottom open to allow for any condensation to evaporate. The caulk made a nice clean looking installation.

Only one word of caution: Many double sided adhesives require pretty high installation pressure to obtain a strong bond. But don't apply TOO much pressure when sticking the Multivex mirrors onto your OEM mirrors or you might hear the sound of cracking mirror glass from underneath. Don't ask me how I know this...

Tom

Thanks for the input. I will be more cautious when I install them. I love this board, its my new addiction.

Tom

• 7 months later...

I just installed a pair of Multivex mirrors after reading several posts about them in this forum. They are incredible! I got used to them very quickly, and can still see directly behind me as well as easily see vehicles that nearly in my peripheral vision when looking straight ahead. These mirrors miss nothing. Turning my head to check if a lane is clear is almost superfluous, I'm only doing it because I'm paranoid (a little paranoia is a good thing when riding). If I see no cars in these mirrors, there aren't any around.

As to installation, I just stuck them on using the supplied tape. I see no reason to try to fill the gap behind them with anything like silicone. It's an 1/8"open space that allows for air circulation, any water that might get back there will dry relatively quickly, and in any case there is nothing in there that could rust.

I'm not sure what Plasterman meant when he wrote: "There is also two strips of this tape on the outer side of the mirror so it attaches to the factory mirror at an angle". My mirrors came with the tape on the backside only.

What is the website for these mirrors? I tried the web link from the old posts on this topic and got a negative message.

Did you search on Google for "multivex mirrors"? Google is very good at finding websites just based on a word or two.

Here is the correct URL, either one will work: or https://secure57.softcomca.com/multivexmirror_net/index.html http://multivexmirror.com

I used the mounting tape that came with the mirrors. I filled the gap between the stock mirror and the Multivex with black silicone caulk on the top and sides only. I left the bottom open to allow for any condensation to evaporate. The caulk made a nice clean looking installation.

I did the same, only I just left a small gap at the bottom. Using the black silicone really makes them look much better.

It takes a day or two to adjust to the Multivex mirrors, but I love 'em. They really give you a comprehensive view of what's going on behind and to the sides of your vehicle. One of my favorite farkles.

Love mine. No more blind spots. Still swivel my head before lane change in case of diagonal traffic from multiple lanes away.

Just used the supplied stickies and filled in the top and sides with RTV. Sorry I didn't use a thinner "base layer" of tape so that the two mirror surfaces would be closer together. The mirrors now stick a little too far out of their cowlings.

I have used the supplied materials. No problem on the bike after three years, and two years on each on my cars. Just ordered another set for a new car. Great folks and a great product. You would be surprised on great they are on cars.

My right mirror broke, so I pealed it off and installed it directly to the backing plate, the other was installed over the existing mirror. not a problem in two years.

Archived