IGNORED

Headlight boot slips off...

Godfather

I just installed a Kisan headlight modulator on my 99' RT and I can not get the rubber boot to stay in place. I can get it back in position over the lip, but it just slips off. I tried cleaning the rubber with Simple Green in hopes of removing any oils from my hands, but no luck. Any advice? dopeslap.gif

You pulled the connector off, removed the rubber, installed the Kisan, installed the rubber, installed the connector. In that order?

Mick

Yes, I installed the Kisan, Boot, then the connector. I cleaned the boot again, this time with a citrus cleaner degreaser. I will wait untill the morning so it has time to dry, then try again. Just puzzling...

Don_Eilenberger
Yes, I installed the Kisan, Boot, then the connector. I cleaned the boot again, this time with a citrus cleaner degreaser. I will wait untill the morning so it has time to dry, then try again. Just puzzling...
If it's at all like my Kisan's have been - I left the rubber boot mounted to the bulb. It was:

bulb - boot - kisan - socket

The other way - the boot is being stretched by the Kisan and is gonna pop off where it seals to the headlight housing. Of course that was on a K75S - but I suspect the design is the same (it is on my R1150RS..)

I have had some cleaners actually cause the rubber (and some plastic) parts expand after using the cleaner ... $.02

After cleaning the surfaces again and letting them dry overnight, I reinstalled the boot this morning. It seems to be ok now. Perhaps letting it dry out did the trick. I will continue to monitor it. Thanks for the help. wave.gif

You have the sequence wrong. It should be Bulb, Rubber Boot, Kisan, Connector. That is the proper order and the reason I asked you a 'leading' question. smile.gif

Mick

Don_Eilenberger
You have the sequence wrong. It should be Bulb, Rubber Boot, Kisan, Connector. That is the proper order and the reason I asked you a 'leading' question. smile.gif

Mick

I think I mentioned that a few days earlier, but it seems to have been ignored. I've put about 4 headlight modulators on various BMW's and the boot always goes back on the bulb (actually with the Kisan - unless you're changing the bulb - there is no reason to even remove the rubber boot..)
Don_Eilenberger
No.
I'd say "hopefully no" - the high power Kisan relies on airflow around it to cool it - the back is the aluminum cooling plate.. having the boot over it not only prevents it from being cooled by airflow, it will tend to trap the heat from the bulb around the modulator.

So - hopefully - no, if it was caught in time.

Archived