IGNORED

What's up with "heavy" handling on my R1100RT???

DouglasR

I have a 1997 R1100RT with about 40,000 miles on it, stock suspension, newish Metzeler Z6 tires (~4000 miles, wearing beautifully, no cupping, etc.). I've put 27,000 on the RT since buying it three years ago, so I know how it should handle. I've also got a 2001 R1150GS and 1994 K75 (and Suzuki DR650), so I have something to compare handling with.

I pulled the RT out of "winterization" this week and rode it for the first time in four months. I've been riding the GS a little more frequently (I'm not as worried about dropping the GS on crappy roads as I am the RT with all that tupperware!). Anyway, when I pulled the RT out I checked tire pressures, all that pre-ride stuff. No issues. I did a total fluids replacement and all that stuff last Fall before storing her away, so no issues there either. She fired right up, purring like a kitten. I take off on my ride and DAMN the front end feels super heavy! Like it wants to flop over to the side when I corner, have to really give strong counter-steering feedback or it WILL just flop over to the steering stops. Stop, check tires again, everything is fine. It's cold out (about 30*F), so the shocks are cold and fork oil is cold and rubber is cold, but this feeling was surprisingly "heavy". BTW, I'm only 160 pounds and there isn't even any luggage on the bike, just a full tank of gas, so it's not like it's overloaded. I seem to remember the "heaviness" on a few instances last Fall, but the bike was loaded like a moving van and I chalked it up to that.

The Question: WTF is going on here?? Am I just feeling the effects of the cold and the difference between the GS handling and RT handling? Am I feeling the effects of a blown front shock?

I can look at the shock and don't see oil seepage or anything obvious. The right fork seal is weeping just a bit, but I have plans to change that anyway (did it on the GS and it's a breeze, so already have the parts). My GS has about 25,000 miles on it and has never felt "heavy" like this, even when loaded like a tank and riding rough roads. The K75 is so bombproof it never needs anything, and anyway it doesn't have a telelever. The DR650 feels like a bicycle compared to the Beemers.

What makes a person decide to buy new shocks? Do you ALWAYS get front AND rear (I can't imagine just replacing one...)?

Thanks for any insights you might offer!

Doug

It could be a combination of the differences in the bikes and the tires. When I first got mine it had some similar characteristics. When I put new tires on, it changed dramatically. That's not to say your tires need to be replaced, just that they may be contributing to the condition.

Even after my tire change it took a little while to get a really good feel for the bike and get my previous bike out of my "muscle memory".

Jerry Johnston

I figure the tire rubber isn't very flexible at 30 degrees as well as bearings being stiffer in the wheels and fork.

ShovelStrokeEd

Your GS has slightly different steering geometry and much wider bars. Tires are also a factor here as I never did like that Z6 front for exactly that heavy feel. Great when new but the newness goes away rather quickly. I wouldn't worry overmuch about the temps assuming you set your cold tire pressure somewhere north of 36 PSI. That full tank o' gas ain't helping much either, btw. Gas weighs about 8 lbs/gal and it's all up nice and high.

Your symptoms sound exactly like what I experienced some time ago - "Like it wants to flop over to the side when I corner". The answer was low tyre pressure. I would urge you to check again. You didn't say what the pressures actually were.

I tried to post earlier, but apparently hit the wrong button.... The front tire is in great shape, only 4000 miles on it, and is sitting at 38 PSI as I write this. I usually run 39 front and 41 rear.

So what I'm hearing is, "Quit whining and go ride the darned thing." Right? smile.gifdopeslap.gif

Yeah, no kidding about the geometry and bars on the GS, Ed! The RT feels "crunched" after riding the GS. Then I jump off the GS onto the DR650 and that thing feels like a toy or bicycle. And the DR650 is not a small bike...

So, again, at what point does a person decide his stock shocks suck badly enough to replace them with $$$$$ Ohlins or Wilburs?? With me it's a money issue....

Doug

I have a 1997 R1100RT with about 40,000 miles on it, stock suspension, ...

40K on stock suspension? Mine was shot at 20K. Try an Ohlins on the front and report back!

Rich06FJR1300

For me, the rear shock started leaking at 37k...i just bought a used one off of this board and decided to upgrade the front only to save some money in the interim (went with wilburs).

Jerry Johnston

I changed my shocks at about 40k when the bike started feeling strange going around curves - seemed somewhat flexible.

ShovelStrokeEd

To go a little further into it, even though the tire pressure may be up to specification, a Z6 tends to wear flat in the front, kinda gets squared off like a rear. That can lead to both portions of what you are feeling. Heavy initial turn in followed by a sensation of falling into the turn as you go over the squarish edge on the front of the tire. I used to notice this more on its predecessor, the Z4 but it's the same thing. Tire already has a pretty round profile and a little change in that profile can cause this big time, especially if you have been spending a good deal of time on freeways instead of curve burnin'.

Unless budgetary restraints are in the offing, I'd say just replace the tires. If you can put up with the howling, Michelin Pilot Roads do a better job on this although I find the turn-in on these to be a bit cumbersome as well. A Pilot Power front and a Pilot Road rear seems to be a really good compromise setup so long as you are willing to change tires as a set.

Thanks, Ed and others!

You know, I got to thinking maybe part of the issue is that the bike IS NOT LOADED like a moving van! When I've got the luggage on it and a full gob of camping gear, more weight is on the back than the front. So with a full tank of gas, cold tires/shock/fork oil, and zero weight on the rear, any effect of the tire or worn suspension would be magnified, right? This is how the poor beast is normally ridden:

97371751-L.jpg

I'll give that tire another hard look, but it's really only been on one long trip that included a whopping proportion of twisty roads (like Lolo Pass, above, incredible twisties mile after mile all the way from Lolo, MT to Lewiston, ID!!!) and very little straight up riding. I'll stick the luggage on and throw a few tons of crap in it and see what happens to the "heavy" feeling.

I'd love to toss a set of new Ohlins or Wilburs on the bike, but I'm recently divorced and there just ain't no cookies left in the jar for that kind of snacking! grin.gif At least I got to keep my bikes!

Thanks, people! This is truly a wonderful community. I hope to see a bunch of you at Torrey!

Doug

... long trip that included a whopping proportion of twisty roads (like Lolo Pass, above, incredible twisties mile after mile all the way from Lolo, MT to Lewiston, ID!!!) and very little straight up riding. Doug

It is a great ride !!!

Archived