IGNORED

Quick question about 1200RT options

Husker Red

Hi guys,

I was talking to a non-BMW dealer this morning about a 2005 r1200rt that he just got in. I asked him about options, but he was unfamiliar with the bike and wasn't sure.

Specifically, I wanted to know if the bike had ESA. How can he look at the bike and know if it has ESA?

He said there is a radio, and cruise control button, a heated grip switch, and a BC button. I assume the BC is on-board computer?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks! I appreicate the quick help.

A button marked ESA, huh?? Who'd a thunk it. dopeslap.gif

I was looking at one at a bike show a few months ago, and the sales guy didn't know much about it either. He thought it was equipped with it, but none of the buttons were marked ESA. He was pushing an unmarked button on the left handlebar that appeared to be changing the settings on the LCD screen. That's what led me to think it might be an unmarked button.

Thanks again,

Mike

It's actually a rocker switch on the left. The upper part is labeled TP/MUTE and controls the sound system. The lower part is labeled ESA and cycles through the ESA settings.

Very good, I'll have to call him back and ask him to take another look.

Also, I actually think the bike is a 2006, not a 2005 as I originally posted. I don't know if that matters for button placement.

Thanks again,

Mike

The 2006 RT ESA switch is pretty obvious. It will be the last toggle switch going left to right on the left-hand grip. Directly below the switch will be stenciled in white, ESA. There will be nothing printed on the toggle switch itself.

Bruce

Dang, sold it already. I just called him back to verify the EAS and it's already gone. I was ready to buy it. The dealer is a nice guy, but unfamiliar with BMW's so I think he underpriced it. Too good of a deal to pass up I guess.

Mike

For next time, as others have pointed out, the ESA switch/button is different depending on whether the bike has the BMW radio/CD. If it has the radio, there is a switch on the left grip. It says TP Mute on the upper end of the switch, and ESA on the lower end of the same switch. That one switch is dual-hatted, as it were. The ESA marking is less obvious than when the bike has no factory radio/CD.

Better luck next time.

Crazy_Canuck
For next time, as others have pointed out, the ESA switch/button is different depending on whether the bike has the BMW radio/CD. If it has the radio, there is a switch on the left grip. It says TP Mute on the upper end of the switch, and ESA on the lower end of the same switch. That one switch is dual-hatted, as it were. The ESA marking is less obvious than when the bike has no factory radio/CD.

Better luck next time.

Yes I have the no radio option and it is a rectangular button (not toggle) and it is marked ESA below it.

Archived