IGNORED

Uneven (rear) brake pad wear on R1200RT

Mike05

While changing tires this weekend we noticed uneven wear on the rear brake pads; the "inside" pad was half as thick as the other. Is this normal or something to be concerned about?? Any thoughts?

I've seen it a couple of times, but I'm not really convinced it's "normal." Typically it is symptomatic of the caliper not correctly sliding on its pins. OTHO I really couldn't find a real cause of it, so I just put new pads on the two bikes that were showing that wear pattern and went on.

Jim VonBaden
While changing tires this weekend we noticed uneven wear on the rear brake pads; the "inside" pad was half as thick as the other. Is this normal or something to be concerned about?? Any thoughts?

Might be a good idea to pull the caliper, remove the pads and clean and lube the shaft they mount to.

It is possible that the pads are binding.

Jim cool.gif

The hydraulic pressure on both pads is by definition, equal. Since the pistons are the same diameter, that means the force on each piston is identical.

Thus, there are only a few possible explanations for the problem...

1. You hae a sticking piston.

2. One side of your disk is rougher than the other (possibly due to an earlier pad wearing through to the metal?).

3. Somehow, more dirt is being thrown up on one side of the disk, than the other (not very likely).

4. The two pads are somehow different in composition.

So, check to see if the pistons push back into their calipers with equal ease. Check both sides of your disk for equal surface roughness. If all that is OK, then replace the pads and check later to see if the problem persists.

Archived