IGNORED

Hard to shift RT-P

JByerly

This is what has happenned:

Yesterday on the way to work when the bike was cold and it was the first time through the gears I could not shift up into 2nd, after several tries it finally went, on the way home could not downshift out of 5th, again it finally went. (I felt no movement of the shifter either time and then, after trying ten or twelve times, it resumed working correctly). Today up into 2nd and 5th first time through the gears, had a heck of a time getting into gear, but it finally went...

I looked on the board and read about cleaning shifter linkage, is that where I need to go, if so are the step by step directions for that and where can I find them? If there is something to consider besides linkage I would appreciate the input.

Thanks

Jerry

Before you get too carried away cleaning the shift linkage, check the bolt in the kidney shaped hole behind the foot peg. This is the bolt that has two positions to adjust the height of the shifter. If it is loose, it will cause the problems you describe.

Clutch feels normal, when it shifts (almost all the time) everything feels and sounds fine. But when it does not work, it is like the shift lever is welded in place, no give at all and then it starts working again.

Jerry

Archived