IGNORED

Product Review: Rev'it Cayenne

skinny_tom (aka boney)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I came about the purchase of this lovely item because BMW is apparently never going to make a Rallye II Pro in my size again. That's okay though, I'm not going to hold it against them. I don't know what I'm missing, but I do know what I'm not; CASH. This thing comes in at least $200 less than the Rally II Pro, marked for sale at $499. I like to colors better too.

Cayenne003.jpg

Fully farkled like that other jacket, this one has not 9 pockets- but 10! Ten pockets in which to put my things. (Not counting the inside pockets.) So far I've managed not to load myself down with too much extra stuff, but with space like a 2 car garage, I can see how a few extra things might find there way in. Maybe even a backup vehicle, or two. In fact, it took me a while to figure out some of them. The sideways one on the front? Perfect for you sunglasses... The one on the left arm? Good for you toll payment. Contrary to obvious construction, that left middle pocket looks like it's really two, but it's not. They did give me two flaps for it though. And those waterproof looking reflective rubberized stripes are zippers to access the breast pockets- and they're not waterproof. The two lowest pockets are, and they zip then flap closed. Keep your important stuff in there. On the back there are 3 more pockets attached to the removable fanny pack. The big 'un is good for the waterproof liner and a pair of lightweight gloves. The little ones??? Emergency TP! (just remember to remove it before you wash the jacket)

Cayenne017.jpg

HEY, MY JACKET IS MADE BY REV'IT!

If you get hot, this jacket vents.

Cayenne014.jpg

Cayenne015.jpg

Remember when the Trans-Am came with the removable T-tops?

Cayenne016.jpg

Good thing it comes with so many pockets, I'm not sure where I'd keep those little vent covers- and it would truely suck to lose one. This textile wonder also has small zippered vents in the bicept area of the arms and the trapezius area on the back. When I got all got all hot and bothered in that sandy wash outside of Death Valley last month, it was nice to be able to open up the jacket. They work pretty well, but I suspect that in over 100 temps nothing's really gonna help unless your making some pretty good airflow.

Cayenne019.jpg

As a bonus feature, this jacket includes a second liner for insulation. It half-zips and half-snaps into the jacket or the rain liner depending on how you arrange your lineup in the morning. I took it for a test in some cooler temps last week and I was warm on the highway at 50 degrees on the RT. The insulation is a bit thin, and the sleeves are cut short so your cuff isn't so bulky. Call me a California cry-baby, but more than likely I'm gonna sack this bit until the temps are better and run with the gerbings.

Cayenne020.jpg

The rain liner snaps into the jacket only. For you wiley folks who like to change things up a bit, I'm sorry, but there is no way to put the rain liner inside the insulation. That means, if for whatever reason you find youself needing to add this bit in the middle of a ride, you'll have to pull the insualtion first, then re-apply after insertion of waterproofness. And it is indeed waterproof. I tested it by taking a ride in the rain. dopeslap.gif Everything in my non-waterproof pockets got wet- remember that part? Everything else stayed dry. Nicely done even if the rubberized zipper flaps remind me of a ruffled pirate's shirt. I mean, there's just so much fabric there...

Which leads me to the real issues. Why on earth do they put the waterproof layer inside the jacket. Look, they've given me the perfect pocket in which to carry a rain liner on the back of the jacket. Why not put a rain cover in there instead? I'll reiterate- when it rained, EVERYTHING in my pockets got wet except for the stuff in the waterproof ones. Then, when I got home, I had to hang it up in the garage so it could drip dry- all alone, instead of all cozy and warm in the closet with the rest of my riding gear. A rain cover could solve the problem of wet jackets and pockets and keep my jacket from going mental.

Cayenne021.jpg

Perforated lining fishes off the jacket, under which the pads are velcroed and behind which a camel back bladder can be fitted. For the sake of experienmentation I took it to REI to see what bladders fit. I ended up with a Nalgene 100oz bladder because it has two holes for hanging, and the jacket had two snaps with which to hang the bladder. the camelback could'a been a contenda' but it has one hook centered at the re-fill cap and would hang crooked. We can't have that, can we now?

There are various places through which a hydration pack hose can be routed. I still need to play with that...

FIT:

I'm a stick. They don't call me Boney for nothin'. I have to run around in the shower to get wet. I wear a 42 "ape special" suit. At 6'4" and 175ish pounds, the XL fits well. Since it's a European cut jacket, the sleeves are long enough and the shoulders don't slide off my narrower build.

The front of the Jacket is cut a bit shorter in the waist then the back, which provides for a bit less of the "is that guy pregnant" look from the people I pass, and there's a drawstring around the bottom hem- a nice feature to help keep out the draft.

FINISH:

So far there are no stray threads, no unravelling edges, and no stray velcro grabs. Nicely done.

Spend the extra $25 and get the Knox back protector, the thin piece of foam that comes in the jacket isn't protecting anyone but Rev'it's bottom line.

Quite the nice jacket. So far there are no regrets or other issues. I look forward to putting the miles on.

I really wanted this jacket, but the fit is very tight in the shoulders and by the time I got one large enough for my shoulders the waist area was big enough for two of me.

I need to find a jacket with an athletic cut if anybody makes one.

The lady at the BMW shop suggested that I try on a woman's jacket, but she didn't have any large enough for me and that's a good thing because I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it dopeslap.gif

I really wanted this jacket, but the fit is very tight in the shoulders and by the time I got one large enough for my shoulders the waist area was big enough for two of me.

I have the same problem, guess we need to fattin up.

The lady at the BMW shop suggested that I try on a woman's jacket, but she didn't have any large enough for me and that's a good thing because I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it dopeslap.gif

I have the same problem, guess we need to fattin up.

Cute......very cute lmao.gif

Available in women's XXL at New Enough

front.jpg

Plenty of other styles too. tongue.gif

I have a similar problem.

2X and 3X talls usually work for shoulders and arms.

Stomach is underdeveloped for those though. (But too big for me dopeslap.gif)

I have this jacket as well great piece of gear! all the pockets are great can just about shove everything I need into the jacket. works pretty good in the summer time here in virginia do wish it has a little more ventilation. excellent during the winter months with the extra layers. Think mortons bmw had a couple of them on sale for around $200 not sure if they still have them.

Hey Tom

Great lookin jacket.

How long did it take to dry in the garage?

I want to order one, but I don't like the rain liner on the inside either.

I have the same problem finding jackets to fit me. 6' 2" 165 lb.

Whip

Very nice jacket! Looks to be well made and warm!

I don't get the point of the inside rain liner either.

If it's cool or even cold you would start out with the rain liner inside the jacket. Then it starts raining. You stay dry but your jacket is wet. How warm is that?

If it's hot you pack the liner on the bike. Then it starts to rain. You have to stop to put on the rain liner. If you have pants with an inside rain liner and your not wearing them at the time what do you do stop on the roadside and drop your pants to put on your liner?

Sorry for the mini hijack! crazy.gif

Bill_Walker

I've got this jacket, too, as well as their "Ultimate" pants. Very happy with both. I agree on the liner thing, though. And the pants have the same liner system, and they're NOT overpants. Lots o' fun taking your pants off in the rest room to install or remove the liners.

I carry Frogg Toggs for the rain, though. But the Rev'It rain liners make excellent wind blockers. And either the insulated liner or the rain liner is good to wear over your Gerbings to hold the heat in.

For temps over 100, I've found that wearing the jacket with the vents open and an evaporative vest underneath is very effective, at least in the low-humidity areas where I've used it.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Hey Tom

Great lookin jacket.

How long did it take to dry in the garage?

I want to order one, but I don't like the rain liner on the inside either.

I have the same problem finding jackets to fit me. 6' 2" 165 lb.

Whip

I left it in the garage over night and everything but the cuffs we're dry the next day.

Also, the two rubberized reflective zippers let quite a bit of water into those pockets and they held the water- I had to turn them inside out to dump it.

I'll probably use the liner as a wind breaker on the cooler days and plan to bring a proper rain cover instead when I go on trips.

Archived