IGNORED

Engine Electronics Warning Indicator

CantinaDan

Riding home from work recently on my '06 R1200RT one of the Warning Indicator lights came on. (The one with the "!" in the yellow triangle accompanied by the engine symbol.) My manual tells me my engine is running in emergency operating mode! The control unit has diagnosed a fault.

The same thing happened a few month previously.

Has anyone else had this show up, and if so, what did it turn out to be? Is this something to be ignored or should I bring it in?

Thanks very much!!!

Is this something to be ignored
Nope!
or should I bring it in?
Yup!

The system will have stored one or more trouble codes that need to be read and diagnosed.

or should I bring it in?
Yup!

The system will have stored one or more trouble codes that need to be read and diagnosed.

Good grief - I JUST got it back from my $380 12K service. Shouldn't they have found this?

Shouldn't they have found this?
Yes, they should have. I just lost a headlight bulb on my RT and the failure is still stored in the computer. It still shows up as a fault that is no longer present. I haven't cleared the fault yet. Yes, I can read and clear faults myself with the GS-911 diag unit. Nice not needing a dealer for that. clap.gif If the computer displayed a fault on the lcd screen then it's stored in the appropriate computer until it is cleared. In my case the ZFE computer recorded the fault. I would think in your case the fault would be recorded by BMS-K.

I called and there was no faults indicated in the notes from my 12K. He suggested I bring it by so he can hook it up to the computer and see if it registers any hard or soft faults or something like that...

Anyway, I'm bringing it in first thing tomorrow morn. I'll let you know what they find.

Jim VonBaden
Yes, they should have. I just lost a headlight bulb on my RT and the failure is still stored in the computer. It still shows up as a fault that is no longer present. I haven't cleared the fault yet. Yes, I can read and clear faults myself with the GS-911 diag unit. Nice not needing a dealer for that. clap.gif If the computer displayed a fault on the lcd screen then it's stored in the appropriate computer until it is cleared. In my case the ZFE computer recorded the fault. I would think in your case the fault would be recorded by BMS-K.

Not necessarily true, at least as far as the GS-911 is concerned. My GF had the same fault on her ST and the GS-911 didn't read it. No faults at all.

Maybe the dealer computer can read it.

At any rate, she is good on fluids, the bike runs great, and no other issues, so I will wait and see.

Jim cool.gif

PS She also just got hers back from the dealer. I wander if there is a common issue?

It was my "Knock Sensor."

I guess we've got little microphones on our RT's that listen pings and knocks and the like. When we have bad gas or some water it "hears" it and makes adjustments to compensate.

Glad to know it wasn't serious but I really would've preferred not bringing it in at all – I got flashed by a photo radar on the way! ARGGG dopeslap.gif

Hi

Off message a little but I note you have the GS 911. I thought that th esoftware for the RT was in beta. I assumed that emant it was not released but I guess it is?

Also in general is the GS911 really worth having and if so how does it justify its cost most?

Jim VonBaden

Hi

Off message a little but I note you have the GS 911. I thought that th esoftware for the RT was in beta. I assumed that emant it was not released but I guess it is?

Also in general is the GS911 really worth having and if so how does it justify its cost most?

The GS-911 is set up for the GS, but works fine on the RT and ST as well.

Jim cool.gif

OK , please bear with me people:

Lets say you purchase this gizmo that reads and clears faults..

How does the dealer fit into this equation during the warranty period? Does the computer log how many faults have been cleared and what they were? Suppose you clear all faults and the dealer determines that a service never happened when it should have, and your warranty issue becomes null and void.

Does the computer track service intervals?

Thanks, still livin' in the old world.

Mark.

The computer has a bit of memory that dealers write service records to. I think it is a timestamp and a code that describes what service was completed. Writing this data is part of the service, and a BMW dealership could argue that the service was not completed properly.

But a failure due to lack of service would probably be obviously enough due to lack of service that the dealer wouldn't have to go that far...

Well first off, if the bike has a trouble code, and the owner (of a bike and GS-911) just clears the codes without actually troubleshooting and correcting the underlying problem, then I'd say the deserve what they get! The bike is recording a fault code for a reason after all.

That being said, the GS-911 is a passive device, except for clearing codes. It can 'do' anything that would in itself void a warranty.

Jim VonBaden
The computer has a bit of memory that dealers write service records to. I think it is a timestamp and a code that describes what service was completed. Writing this data is part of the service, and a BMW dealership could argue that the service was not completed properly.

But a failure due to lack of service would probably be obviously enough due to lack of service that the dealer wouldn't have to go that far...

More importantly the dealer would have to PROVE that you didn't do the service (and you would only have to show a receipt for the timeframe and the filled out booklet page to prove otherwise), and they would have to PROVE your supposed lack of service is the cause of the failure. Not such an easy thing to do.

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden
Well first off, if the bike has a trouble code, and the owner (of a bike and GS-911) just clears the codes without actually troubleshooting and correcting the underlying problem, then I'd say the deserve what they get! The bike is recording a fault code for a reason after all.

That being said, the GS-911 is a passive device, except for clearing codes. It can't 'do' anything that would in itself void a warranty.

You meant CAN'T, right?

Jim cool.gif

Archived