IGNORED

What's your browser's "Home Page" set to?

ChrisNYC

In the early days of the web I used to re-set my home page to a different (exciting!) website each week or so. Over the years I seem to be slowing down - I think I've had it set to Yahoo for a while now.

What's your browser's home page set to? Are you a news-junkie? Or do you choose home-pages that are focused on a hobby? How often do you change home-pages?

I started wondering about other folks' web-habits so I figured I'd start asking around here first smile.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

russell_bynum

I use IE 7's tabbed browsing (and I used Firefox's tabbed browsing before I switched back to IE) and when I open IE, it loads the following tabs:

* My pesonal Google homepage, with gadgets for Gmail, CNN, Top Stories, and a few moto-racing feeds

* bmwst.com

* SuperbikePlanet.com

* MotoGP.com

* CBR600RR.com

* 600rr.net's pictures/videos forum

How do you set Firefox & Explorer to load multiple tabs at startup? I can see how to open with the last set of tabs (when the browser was last closed), but now how to open with the same set of tabs each time. confused.gif

In Firefox open the tabs you want to be there when you open it. Go to "Tools"->"Options" then on the main tab, for Startup set When Firefox starts to "Show my Home Page" then click on the "Use current pages" button. Your homepage is now the tabs that are currently open.

In Explorer, you can either type each address on a separate line in the homepage box or open all the pages you want open and click the "Use current page" button.

To set tabs to open at startup in Firefox, get all of the tabbed pages open in the order you prefer, and then go to Tools, Options, Main, Startup and hit the button for "Use Current Pages."

I have different startup sets for my office and home computers. The office is pretty mundane. At home, it goes:

*wsj.com front page

*bmwst.com main index

*Hotmail login

*Personalized Google homepage

*online banking login

*espn.com

*weather.com local weather 10-day forecast

*ilounge.com

*advrider.com GSpot

*r1200gs.info

*eBay login

*smugmug

*Netflix queue

By the time I cycle through those, it's time to go to bed. I'm not sure how any work ever gets done. crazy.gifgrin.gif

"Use Current Pages" will only display the tabs that were present when the browser was last closed, not the same set of default tabs each time.

But Russell's tip about separating multiple pages with the pipe character works great, thanks Russell. I don't know where I would have found that one in the documentation (if it is even there.)

Edit: OK, I see what you guys mean now about the 'Use Current Pages'. If you select that and set the pull-down to 'Use my home page" then it works as described. Thanks everyone.

But Russell's tip about separating multiple pages with the pipe character works great, thanks Russell. I don't know where I would have found that one in the documentation (if it is even there.)

It's not in my FF 1.5 documentation. However, I discovered it by using a bookmark folder as my start page, which does the same thing. With FF 2.0 (which I don't have handy) I think you can use Live Bookmarks, but I could be wrong about that.

Doesn't much matter for me. I've been using about:blank (or its equivalent) as my browser's homepage for years. Between FF keywords for searching and moving most of my surfing to my aggregator, I don't see much need to open tabs.

Now that I've moved haverkamp.com mail to Google Apps for Domains, I may rethink that. The biggest problem is that I'm still a multi-window kind of guy. Can't get into tabs, as much as I try. One of these days I'll figure out how to remap the key in Firefox to make it like iTerm, and then maybe I'll use it. Right now, it's too awkward on my Kinesis Advantage.

I have a page saved locally that I created to be my start page. There's no load time and it has all the links I regularly use as well as one-click logins to various sites. I redesign the page now and then of course, but the basic idea has served me well for years.

bakerzdosen

my.excite.com

I'm too lazy to set up a google or yahoo! home! page! so I stick with what I've been using since, um, 1996? (Wow, that's a long time ago in internet years isn't it?)

Blank Page, I don't like to wait for a website to load.

ditto

double ditto

tripple ditto.

if i want a page bad enough, i have it bookmarked, or i can just type it in.

russell_bynum
Blank Page, I don't like to wait for a website to load.

ditto

double ditto

tripple ditto.

if i want a page bad enough, i have it bookmarked, or i can just type it in.

On my laptop, where I'll have questionable connectivity, I go to about:blank.

On the desktops, my surfing patterns are pretty predictable. I'm pretty much always going to go to the sites I listed, so I might as well go ahead and load them when I load the browser.

I guess it depends on your surfing habits and connectivity.

bakerzdosen said my.excite.com

Holy smokes ... I forgot about excite.com! That was one of my very first homepages. Just now I went to excite, and my account still exists, and in it I found a bookmark I've been trying to (re-)locate for a while: a photography site with pictures of abandoned aircraft in the desert.

http://www.lostamerica.com/images/new.html

I also used backflip.com in the early days when I wanted to access the web from a borrowed computer ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

I have a page saved locally that I created to be my start page. There's no load time and it has all the links I regularly use as well as one-click logins to various sites. I redesign the page now and then of course, but the basic idea has served me well for years.
I use a links page I save on my own web site, that way I have my favourites no matter what computer I'm using. Problem is I haven't updated it in a long time so it isn't much use...
steve.foote

That's an interesting question, Chris. I used to keep mine on Google, then Yahoo before that, and I can't remember what prior to that. Now, I keep all of my browsers on my own personal "jump" page.

www.rightspin.com/jump

Every now and then, I update it to include new sites I visit often. It's also handy to have all of my important links when I am away from my own computers.

I've been using about:blank (or its equivalent) as my browser's homepage for years.

Can't get into tabs, as much as I try.

Ditto on the blank, although I'm using Opera with tabs and really liking it. I have a thing about keeping my taskbar as clear as possible, thus having lots of little icons for apps that are minimised to tray...

• 2 months later...
bakerzdosen

I know I'm drudging up a thread from over a month ago, but I just had to add this:

I really like the igoogle homepage. I still think it's missing a coupla small things, but for the most part, I think I might just switch over to that. I read a review of it this morning and decided to try it. I'm a fan now.

Google will rule the world soon... if they don't already.

russell_bynum
I know I'm drudging up a thread from over a month ago, but I just had to add this:

I really like the igoogle homepage. I still think it's missing a coupla small things, but for the most part, I think I might just switch over to that. I read a review of it this morning and decided to try it. I'm a fan now.

That's my main home page. I like it.

Some BMW website where the members ask nosey questions. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I love this place. It's home to me. And everyone on it is my friend (with perhaps one or two exceptions and they know who they are). lmao.gif

I'm using Opera with tabs and really liking it.

I'm using Opera as well and like it a lot. Their new version (9.2) has a feature called "Speed Dial". When you open a new tab, it shows you new thumbnails of whatever sites you've added to the list. Nice if you've got bandwidth to spare and fairly predictable surfing habits.

------------------------------------------------------------------

...and then MicroSoft will come and swallow it whole.

My homepage: http://bmwsporttouring.com

..honestly!

Jurgen

I use a links page I save on my own web site, that way I have my favourites no matter what computer I'm using. Problem is I haven't updated it in a long time so it isn't much use...

I do the same thing except that my links page contains some php code that allows you to add, edit and delete links. So it is easy to update and keep current from wherever.

Archived