IGNORED

R1200RT Glovebox - Can it be installed after the fact?

Rusty1945

I have an 06 R12RT with the radio prep kit, but no radio. I'm not planning on ever installing a radio and wonder if you can retro-fit the glovebox that comes on the RT's without the radio prep kit. Anyone know?

I have an 06 R12RT with the radio prep kit, but no radio. I'm not planning on ever installing a radio and wonder if you can retro-fit the glovebox that comes on the RT's without the radio prep kit. Anyone know?

Are you sure there is such a thing? I thought there was no difference, other than the prep-kit stuff at the bottom of the box. There is a 'pouch' accessory that you can add for about $30.00, but it isn't worth the money IMHO. Make a carboard cover for the radio stuff, and cram your other items in there!

you already have it. I believe the only difference is that you have a hole in the bottom with a bunch of wires running through it and the non radio prep kit glovebox has a plug in that hole. Obviously you've got other parts as well like the built in speakers. If you want a sealed glovebox all you need to do is remove the wiring and add a plug.

I bought the "Radio Bay Storage Insert" for my RT. It's kind of small, only about 6" deep. You really can't get much in there. I was hoping it would utilize more of the space available.

Are you sure there is such a thing? I thought there was no difference, other than the prep-kit stuff at the bottom of the box. There is a 'pouch' accessory that you can add for about $30.00, but it isn't worth the money IMHO. Make a carboard cover for the radio stuff, and cram your other items in there!
Hmm. I'm aware of the pouch accessory that slides in from the top and really isn't very deep. I'll look more closely at my glovebox - there definitely are a bunch of wires and connectors at the bottom - I've stuffed a rag in there to cover those. My buddy who has the "non-radio" RT showed me his (no wise cracks!) and it looked nice and clean. Maybe it did just have a plug in the bottom where I have the wires. But it was a nice clean molded fitting with no sharp edges around the opening. On my RT, there are sharp edges around the opening that make it hard to get stuff in and out.

Not sure what the rough edges would be Rusty. I've got the non-radio equipped (or prepped) model. The opening is smooth and gasketed. Maybe a picture of yours would help. I find the glove box to be one of my favorite storage areas. I can access it without moving from the saddle, it's waterproof and lockable and it's huge. I actually lose stuff in there it's so big.

. I find the glove box to be one of my favorite storage areas. I can access it without moving from the saddle, it's waterproof and lockable and it's huge. I actually lose stuff in there it's so big.

At great expense , and after much trial and error ......... I fitted a highly expensive piece of kit to my glove box when I had my 1200 RT ..........

A plastic bag from Sainsburys grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

This cunning device enabled me to retrieve items from the bottom of the glove box without having to resort to major surgery grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif................I should have patented that idea lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Steve

Not sure what the rough edges would be Rusty. I've got the non-radio equipped (or prepped) model. The opening is smooth and gasketed. Maybe a picture of yours would help. I find the glove box to be one of my favorite storage areas. I can access it without moving from the saddle, it's waterproof and lockable and it's huge. I actually lose stuff in there it's so big.
I think the rough edges are there because the glovebox as you describe it, isn't. In other words, for bikes with the radio prep kit, the area where the glovebox would go is left empty so the opening has no gasket or smooth "walls". Since the radio is supposed to go there, there isn't a need for a nicely gasketed and finished glovebox, just an empty space to accept the radio. What I want to do (if possible) is to install the glovebox where the radio would go on my bike.

i have the non-radio box. there is just a rubber plug about 1 to 2 inches square that plugs the hole in the bottom.

27852895-M.jpg

here you can see, at the bottom, the square where the plug would go. (this is the box take out and taken apart as I was test fitting various electonic ideas)

Mystery Solved!

I decided to dive into the bowels of my bike to see if I could determine what the real scoop is. I removed all the tupperware, loosened the gas tank so I could access the screws to take off the side cover of the glovebox and found the culprit. There's a square frame in there that's a mounting flange for the CD player that goes in there and it has very sharp edges plus restricts the opening. Once I took that mounting frame out, I had my glovebox with a nice big opening with no sharp edges.

I secured the radio connector at the bottom of the box by zip tying it to the cooling fan frame after I removed the fan itself. Now it's out of the way completely.

It took a lot of work, but now I have the glovebox I saw in my buddy's bike all along. The only difference is the connector descreetly located at the very bottom. No problem.

By the way, I tried in vain to include pictures of this, but never could make it work. I followed the directions Andy gave in the Discussion Board Support area using Image Shack, but could not get it to work.

Thanks Rusty. Now that you have described it, I can look in there and see exactly what your are talking about. With that bracket removed, it looks like there is quite a bit of space to use. thumbsup.gif

Crazy_Canuck

I just took out that same plate (to mount a CD deck) yesterday. I took all the right side tupperware off first then I realized I might have to move the gas tank. Well I didnt have to move the tank...all I did was reach in and yank on the plate and it came out with a little coaxing. There is 2 pieces to it and I had to remove a piece at a time.

I just took out that same plate (to mount a CD deck) yesterday. I took all the right side tupperware off first then I realized I might have to move the gas tank. Well I didnt have to move the tank...all I did was reach in and yank on the plate and it came out with a little coaxing. There is 2 pieces to it and I had to remove a piece at a time.
Hmmm, I had to move the tank a bit to get at one of the screws that held the side plate on the box. Undoing the mounting bolts and moving that tank around was nerve racking for me - I had visions of going up in a huge explosion. But it proved not to be that hard, just awkward.
Hmmm, I had to move the tank a bit to get at one of the screws that held the side plate on the box. Undoing the mounting bolts and moving that tank around was nerve racking for me - I had visions of going up in a huge explosion. But it proved not to be that hard, just awkward.

BTW, if you ever remove your tank, for whatever reason, always replace the rubber O-rings in the line disconnects, even if the bike is brand new. Don't ask how I know.....and you think you had visions of an explosion grin.gif

By the way, I tried in vain to include pictures of this, but never could make it work. I followed the directions Andy gave in the Discussion Board Support area using Image Shack, but could not get it to work.
Finally figured out how to load images so here goes:

Here's what my glovebox looks like from above - see the square frame in there? That's there so the CD player can be mounted and it has very sharp edges plus restricts the opening.

img7528yf6.jpg

Here's the frame after I took it out.

img7534sc7.jpg

And here's the glovebox without the frame in there - a nice big opening with no sharp edges.

img7529xi6.jpg

Here's a side view of the glovebox with the side cover removed - that weird gray shape crossing in front of

it is the right side extension from the gas tank.

img7527ru7.jpg

Here's a closeup of how I secured the radio connector at the bottom of the box. I took the cooling fan out and zip tied it to the fan frame (the silver thing). Now it's out of the way completely.

img7532sf5.jpg

Finally, here's a view from the top with tupperware in place - a nice big opening into a nice big glovebox. img7537wr0.jpg

Archived