IGNORED

I think Givi sold some of their tooling for topcases...here Cheap!

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Now please don't scoff at the fact this is JC Whitney. But, they have an incredible deal going here on a medium and large topcase with mounts for 59.99 and 79.99. The large box looks identical to my 46 liter model on my R1100RT.

G_20997G_CL_1.jpg

Just passing along some good info. We ordered the medium one for Rainy's SV650.

Shawn

ShovelStrokeEd

Nope, they are cheap, flimsy knockoffs.

They will do for light duty use but I wouldn't put my laptop in one.

The plasic used in these boxes is somewhat more brittle than the Givi, in my experience. The Givi is like the old Timex watch, "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'."

all the best,

Mike

Nice....here is a review from the V-strom site about these boxes...

I have the medium on my DL1000 now. Like it. Had a bit of a problem at first with a spring getting sideways and not letting it open but cured that. No problems so far with 3000 miles on the bike and Louisiana ruff roads. In fact it has a metal base where the older ones have a plastic base. I plan on it being the location of my laptop in my travels. I wrap the laptop in a towel and have other stuff in there so it has a pretty soft ride in there. And neat to just pop it off and carry it into the motel room.

I also had the other el cheapo JC whitney box on my R1150GSA for about 30,000 miles carring my laptop and other goodies in there with not ever a problem.

I still have the other elcheapo on my KLR and it's really been down some ruff stuff for the last 10,000 miles.

Hard to beat at that price.......

Lone_RT_rider
There was also a review in MCN or Rider (forget which).

I don't subscribe to Rider and just started getting MCN again. Steve, is there any way you could track that article down when you get some time? If not, I understand completely.

Shawn

Can't resist the price. I had to order one, just to satisfy our curiousity. All inclusive, even with 15% off, a Givi 46l case is almost $400 including the mounting kit, brake light, and inner bag. If I can make this one work well enough for the trip for $80 and and a little labor, I'm ahead. If it's of reasonable quality, I will add some LED lights and call it a day.

-MKL

Lone_RT_rider
Do they fit the Givi mounts? The included bracket looks very similar.

I have an Givi on my RT. When the new top case gets here in a couple of days I will post back and let you know.

Shawn

I have an Givi on my RT. When the new top case gets here in a couple of days I will post back and let you know.

Shawn

Thanks!

Lone_RT_rider

Shawn

Thanks!

Well it came in the mail today. The bracket is a metal bracket unlike that of the Givi. It may rust over time but we shall see. The first thing I did was take the Medium sized case over to the RT which already has a 46L givi case mount on it and checked to see if it would install......

No go.. The Medium case does not fit on a 46L give topcase mount. The mounting scheme is similiar but spaced differently at the front two tabs on the mounting plate. I do not know if the their "large" case has the same mounting spacing on those tabs.

More reports after we get in mounted. I spent most of tonight putting my RT back together.

Shawn

Archived