IGNORED

Seat

Petreer

Hello: I want to change out my seat in my GS Adventure 2006,I have looked at "Cee Bailey" seat out of CA. they build a custom seat. My stock seat is kinda like riding on two 4x4's, any ideas?

Thanks,

"Boats"

You've probably heard the names already. The big players are Corbin, Sargent, Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer. With the first two you get to keep your stock seat. I do like the Sargent seat over the Corbin.

Pat

Hello: I want to change out my seat in my GS Adventure 2006,I have looked at "Cee Bailey" seat out of CA. they build a custom seat. My stock seat is kinda like riding on two 4x4's, any ideas?

Thanks,

"Boats"

Hello! NIce avitar.

I've had several Russell seats over the years and recommend them highly. Here's their website. http://www.day-long.com/

They build a custom seat on your stock seat pan. Better get an order in soon before the riding season starts. They've got a 6 weeks turn around right now.

Here's a pic of my latest Russell. They're making one for the RS in April too. Can't beat them for comfort thumbsup.gif

100_0407.jpg

paulcbrowne

Beware of Russell if you are short. Their seat is higher than a stock seat and they don't seem to have any way to preserve the height of a stock low seat. Send 'em pics and measurements and it makes no difference -- not sure why they bother asking for that stuff. They build a seat their own one way and good luck if it's wrong or made for someone who's over 6 feet tall and you're 5' 8". I sold a brand new Russell seat because they wouldn't stand behind their work when I could only barely touch my toes after I received my new seat.

Beware of Russell if you are short. Their seat is higher than a stock seat and they don't seem to have any way to preserve the height of a stock low seat. Send 'em pics and measurements and it makes no difference -- not sure why they bother asking for that stuff. They build a seat their own one way and good luck if it's wrong or made for someone who's over 6 feet tall and you're 5' 8". I sold a brand new Russell seat because they wouldn't stand behind their work when I could only barely touch my toes after I received my new seat.

OK, so who is a good seatmaker for those of us who are vertically challenged?

sargent seats if you are vertically challenged. I had a low bmw seat for my 04 adventure replaced it with sargent seat and got me lower. great seat and comfy as well.

I totally agree with what Paul Browne said. I'm about to send my seat back to Russell for the second adjustment. The first time, they charged my credit card, cut up my BMW low seat, and built exactly what I told them I had already tried and was unhappy with. dopeslap.gif

I just hope they understand what "low and narrow" means this time. It turns out that their refund policy doesn't cover the rear seat, because it was built to an average size, and there is a restocking charge if I get a refund on the front seat.

I know Russell has made a lot of people from this board happy, but I already consider this as wasted money. If you aren't going to make what the customer asks for, you shouldn't call yourself a custom seatmaker.

Jim

I'm headed down to Ojai in the morning to have a seat made by Bill Mayer. I rode 400 miles last Sunday, and the stock seat put a hurten on my butt!!!

Jim VonBaden
sargent seats if you are vertically challenged. I had a low bmw seat for my 04 adventure replaced it with sargent seat and got me lower. great seat and comfy as well.

Agreed! I love my Sargent seat, after trying a Corbin and a Bill Mayer.

Jim cool.gif

paulcbrowne

Here's a useful statement on Sargent's web site:

"All products purchased directly from Sargent Cycle Products are entitled to a 30-day money back guarantee for the purchase price." There is some fine print in addition, but nothing that seems unreasonable.

I rode my son's 1150RT with a low Sargent seat and found that it was pretty confining for one's "package." Sure would like to hear from any who have the low Sargent seat on an R12RT. The pictures make it look like the R12RT seat is a bit more spacious.

To quote Duane Ausherman:

"People who sit up on a motorcycle end up with the weight on the ass. That

gets to be painful. Better to spread the weight over a larger area. This

is where the tractor seat idea comes in. However, one can't slide back and

forth. It is a cultural thing, we Americans like our easy chairs and try to

adapt it to motorcycles. [On] a cafe bike, ... one can really move

around and place some weight on the chest and feet."

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/index.htm

In other words, the question to ask about any motorcycle seat is: "Are you riding, or are you sitting?" The range of preferences goes from the wafer a racer uses to the lounger on Old Wings.

In other words, the question to ask about any motorcycle seat is: "Are you riding, or are you sitting?" The range of preferences goes from the wafer a racer uses to the lounger on Old Wings.

It's true I can't slide all the way to the pillion position like I could on the old /7. But I'm not stuck in one place either. I can and do move forward and back a few inches for comfort sake on long rides. Sometimes I even stand up on the pegs for a half mile just to stretch out and get the blood moving around. I like my ass to be happy at the end of the day. An aftermarket seat works for me.

bluejoeblue

I tried the Sargent low seat on my R12RT and took a 300 mile ride. The seat is slightly wider and more spacious than the stock low seat and much more firm. It felt like it put me up a little higher but didn't affect reaching the ground (5'7'' 29 inseam) to a great extent. However, the seat is too firm and felt like I was sitting directly on the seat pan with no cushion at all. After 20 miles I had to stop and put the sheepskin over it but did not help. I was relieved when I reinstalled my stock low seat. The standard seat may be a better seat but I would not recommend the low seat version. Sargent service however was excellent and they have a 30 day return policy for refund.

And for a contrary view, I have put about 8,000 miles on a low Sargent seat on my '06RT. I'm 5'10" with a 29~30" inseam and find it just a bit harder to "flatfoot" with the Sargent due to the increased width, but it's not a real issue. The stock (low) seat for me is agony after about 75 miles, but I've done several 400 mile days on the Sargent with minimal discomfort.

bluejoeblue

Glad to see it works for you. I guess it depends on each individual's specific bodily anatomy and comfort level. The stock seat is not ideal for me either but I found it more tolerable than the Sargent low seat. I will keep looking for that ideal seat but am limited by seat height.

With opinions (and anatomies) ranging all over the place like this, it's no wonder the O.E.M.s don't even attempt to make comfortable stock seats...

I tried the Sargent low seat on my R12RT and took a 300 mile ride. The seat is slightly wider and more spacious than the stock low seat and much more firm. It felt like it put me up a little higher but didn't affect reaching the ground (5'7'' 29 inseam) to a great extent. However, the seat is too firm and felt like I was sitting directly on the seat pan with no cushion at all. After 20 miles I had to stop and put the sheepskin over it but did not help. I was relieved when I reinstalled my stock low seat. The standard seat may be a better seat but I would not recommend the low seat version. Sargent service however was excellent and they have a 30 day return policy for refund.

I't difficult to believe that anything other than concrete could be firmer than the stock low seat. I understand that too soft of a seat can bottom out and therefore be uncomfortable but the stock low seat seems to have no "give" at all. bncry.gif

Glad to see it works for you. I guess it depends on each individual's specific bodily anatomy and comfort level. The stock seat is not ideal for me either but I found it more tolerable than the Sargent low seat. I will keep looking for that ideal seat but am limited by seat height.

Like they say, "that's why they make chocolate ice cream". While I find the Sargent a big improvement over stock, I'm also still looking for the ideal - so my Rick Mayer seat will be arriving in a few weeks.

bluejoeblue

I thought so too but the Sargent feels bottomed out to begin with. Too firm for me although I did like the shape. I thought of trying the standard seat and the other custom seats but can't afford the increased height

Archived