IGNORED

Checking the oil

Dandridge

Hello Everyone

Do any of you guys have a PDF file on how to check the oil and other fluids in the 1100RT? Still waiting on my manuel to get here but wanted to start checking fluids before I really road it any distance. Thanks in advance Dan thumbsup.gif

Put the bike on the centerstand and wait a few mintues. Look below the left jug, there is a hole in the tupperware that reveals the oil sightglass. The oil level should be visable between in the middle there somewhere.

Don't worry about adding to reach the top line. Mine usually runs pretty close to the bottom line. When I top it off it seems to burn a bit of oil until it gets near the bottom line again and then it stays there.

Brake fluid level should be visable in the sight glass on the reservoir on the right side of the handlebar. Rear brake reservoir is behind the black triangular panel in front of the right side case. That panel is removed by rotating the screw fastener 180 degrees and then pulling the post connector out of the rubber grommet. Be careful with that part because the plastic post can break off.

That's all the fluids to check! Now go out and ride. thumbsup.gif

Mike

You'll probably want to use a bright small flash light to see and check most of these fluids. Helps locate the oil window and then be able to see the oil line across the sight glass. Usefull for seeing most other levels as well. Works for my poor eyes anyway!

C'mon guys it's a;; about the dance...

Bike must be warmed up )5 bars)

Put bike on side stand, wait 5-10 minutes.

Check sight glass, if full with oil you are good to go.

For the anal, now put bike on center stand wait 10 minutes, check level should be center of dot.

Reasoning.....Side stand allows oil to drain from oil cooler before the thermostats close. Center stand does the rest. Blah blah blah. lurker.gif

I just pick the bike up and shake it over my head. If it sloshes, there's oil in it. You mean there's another method?

Shawnee Bill
I just pick the bike up and shake it over my head. If it sloshes, there's oil in it. You mean there's another method?

Yep, park it for ten minutes, if there's no puddle of oil under it there is either the proper amount of oil still in the engine or none at all. If it will start you're good to go, if not, it's too late already dopeslap.gif

Don't forget to go to Sears first and get an official Sears kneeling pad. They are only about $10 and will save your knees from the concrete. Helps to have an AA maglite handy to shine on the oil level window- dark as hell in there.

These oil threads are getting more interesting....... lurker.gif

Look at sight glass on sidestand + see full oil = ride bike.

Fixed for my way.

Jim cool.gif

Oh there you go again Jim, over complicating things again! wink.gifgrin.gif

But in all seriousness, on center stand, on side stand - makes no real difference. Full, 1/2 full, only a bit fill - makes no difference. Warm engine, cold engine - makes no difference. The delta between all the various combinations is only ounces across a gallon capacity. Oil visible in the glass is all you need IMHO.

Jim VonBaden
Look at sight glass on sidestand + see full oil = ride bike.

Fixed for my way.

Jim cool.gif

Oh there you go again Jim, over complicating things again! wink.gifgrin.gif

But in all seriousness, on center stand, on side stand - makes no real difference. Full, 1/2 full, only a bit fill - makes no difference. Warm engine, cold engine - makes no difference. The delta between all the various combinations is only ounces across a gallon capacity. Oil visible in the glass is all you need IMHO.

Agreed! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived