IGNORED

Sport tires on ST

kopov260

Has anyone tried sport tires on the ST? I am looking at Bridgestones BT 015. I know they wouldn't last more than 4-5 miles but should ad in performance.

Any opinions??? thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Why not? If you don't mind changing them more often, and can ride the bike hard enough to need them, you'll probably like the change. If you are already scraping stuff and spinning up the rear on corner exits, certainly. If not, then I don't really see the need.

Typically, the turn in is easier and more responsive and the traction is very, very good.

One caveat might be that to take full advantage of the tires, you might need different suspension settings which leads down the road to the already crappy BMW suspenders.

Firefight911

I echo Ed's statements and would add that you will, other than what has already been stated, not realize a whole bunch of added performance as a "sport" tire needs heat in the tire to come up to temperature and realize the gains afforded their construction.

If you check the recently done Motorcycleist article that compared tires within manufacturer based on type, you would see that the performance sport tires actually fared worse on the street overall.

NakedRider just recently put on new Pirelli (????) tires and stated that the performance just improved by leaps and bounds. If he sees this, maybe he'll chime in or you could do a search for NakedRider's post about them. If I get a chance, I'll try and look for it as well.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Wow - the fastest I ever wore a set of tires out was 20 laps of a 2.5 mile track and you can do it in 4-5 MILES?

I changed my RT from BT020 to Avon AV45/46ST and was very impressed. No more following of the LA rain grooves on the freeway and a more sporty feel. The typical R1200RT feel of forcing the bike off center and then it "falling" a bit before it "holds" is GONE! There is now a linear feel to turn initiation. They now have 2 track events and 3k miles and are 2/3 gone. I have had to replace the footpeg feelers so I don't know how much grip you need.

If the Storm ST replacement is any better I will be even more impressed. One caveat: the sporty tire with the touring geometry of the RT/ST is more difficult with a passenger and when you are barely moving like in a parking lot.

Of course I forgot to include letter K right next to 4-5 miles. I was able to get set of these for $160 and that's why will put them on. I can get another set for same price if I like them.

$160 a SET?

The BCP needs new tires (at 3k miles) and I was going to try the Metzler M3 but I'm open to trying others.

Two track days next month.....

I'm interested to see how they work out.

Slumgullion

M 3's are awsome on the ST if its performance you want! I put on a set for Reg Pridmore and plan on another set for Keith Code this summer.

Jim VonBaden

Stay away from Dunlop Qualifiers. Maybe it is because of the weight of the bike, but those tires are just plain aweful on it. Squirley and crap in the rain.

The best tires in the three sets so far are the Pilot Roads, and maybe the Pilot Power or Pilot Sports would work?

Jim cool.gif

I echo Ed's statements and would add that you will, other than what has already been stated, not realize a whole bunch of added performance as a "sport" tire needs heat in the tire to come up to temperature and realize the gains afforded their construction.

If you check the recently done Motorcycleist article that compared tires within manufacturer based on type, you would see that the performance sport tires actually fared worse on the street overall.

NakedRider just recently put on new Pirelli (????) tires and stated that the performance just improved by leaps and bounds. If he sees this, maybe he'll chime in or you could do a search for NakedRider's post about them. If I get a chance, I'll try and look for it as well.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Yup...still got the Pirellis. IMO these are much better than the M3s for turn in and the grip is the best I've ever had in a tire. I'm now running them on my R1200S as well. I've got about 1,000 miles on the ST with these tires. Still too early to tell how long they will last.

HIGHLY recommended clap.gif

Archived