IGNORED

How reliable are BMW Alarm/Immobilisers

John Bentall

Are you happy with your BMW Alarm/Immobiliser  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The immobilizer is part of the ignition / CanBus system and comes with the bike. It works well until the ring antennae fails and your bike won't start/

The alarm is an option. It make a pathetic amount of noise and triggers only with gross movements of the bike. I've got one and turn it on in parking lots only because I have it. Small comfort I guess. Disc-lock gives me a better feeling of security the bike won't be moved.

I've stated this before, but mine isprogrammed to come on when the key is removed and 'unsets' itself with the key in ignition. It's ideal and a total ease of use. Only issue i've ever had with it was that the vibrations from ferry crossings set it off, which is a small point, but annoying when you're already munching on a mars bar in the cafeteria when the vibes kick in!

Mine has the alarm because it was on the only bike they had available to buy when I went shopping. I carry a big chain in the tailpack that ensures my bike is chained to something solid and the factory immobiliser is all I really wanted. I'm 60/40 in favour on whether I'd pay for the pleasure.

Mine isn't nearly sensitive enough to be of much use, IMO.

For example, I can park my bike, set on sidestand and turn ignition off. While still seated, I can set the alarm, get off the bike, put it on the center stand, get back on the bike and rock it off the center stand -- ALL WITHOUT TRIGGERING THE MOTION ALARM.

I CAN set off the motion alarm if I rock the heck out of the bike from side-to-side, but it has to be done very vigorously. frown.gif

Archived