IGNORED

ER-6I - poor sound, no bass, tinny

daveinatlanta

daveinatlanta

My new ER-6is are awful - weak, no bass and they sound just plan tinny. I've read the instructions, inserted them all the way into my ear canal to the point where they hurt, tried all the ear bud/fittings including the yellow foam inserts that came with them. I tried fitting them loosely, fitting them tight, moistening them, pulling the top of my ear up, per the instructions. No improvement.

Sent back one pair, thinking that they were defective and just got another set. No improvement.

I'm basing this negative opinion of the ER-6Is on the old earbuds I have for my Ipod - which are $15 cheapies that are about 1/2 to 3/4" in diameter and sit just outside my ear canal.

I'm wondering if my ears are really so weird that in-ear buds will not work.

Anybody else have this problem?

Jerry_75_Guy

I'm sorry I can't directly answer your question, but in the interest of adding a data point, I have the ER6i's and the original earbuds, and am very happy with the performance of the ER6i's, whether I'm using them for the bike, or just sitting at home listening to recorded lectures or music.

I can't say if it's a bad pair of ER6i's, or something else, but what you are discribing is not normal performance for that make and model.

My ER6Is sound much better than any other earphone/bud type I've tried, the bass is especially good for an earphone.

What you describe is almost always related to an improper seal to the ear canal. I don't know what to recommend other than what you've already tried, but while the ER6i aren't bass monsters they shouldn't sound notably deficient in the bass area either so something isn't right.

What smiller said. I'm confident you don't have them in properly. It is a common mistake. The "back" of the bud should be inside your outer ear, so the flange is almost pointing "forward".

2nd what smiller said. Are you wetting them prior to insertion? I lick mine a little 1st. Damn if this don't sound like a sex ed class.

daveinatlanta
Are you wetting [it] prior to insertion? I lick mine a little 1st.

I'm impressed.

As for the earbuds - yes. After reading these posts and trying a few insertion methods, I think my problem is the construction of my ear canal -- too big and too short. And this does sound like sex-ed.

But when I push the flanges in to the point where they're starting to get seated and sealed, they 'bottom out' hitting the curve in my ear canal. I've tried negotiating that curve but it is too painful.

I think I was simply not designed for in-ear buds.

Gotta talk to somebody about that..!

One thing you might try is cutting off the last (smallest) flange, making the tip a 'bi-tip' instead of a tri-tip. This will allow for a complete seal without having the end of the tip hit the side of the ear canal (it's a common mod for the ER6i when experiencing a problem similar to yours.)

After reading these posts and trying a few insertion methods, I think my problem is the construction of my ear canal -- too big and too short. And this does sound like sex-ed.

But when I push the flanges in to the point where they're starting to get seated and sealed, they 'bottom out' hitting the curve in my ear canal. I've tried negotiating that curve but it is too painful.

I think I was simply not designed for in-ear buds.

Gotta talk to somebody about that..!

You might try checking with Etymotic about your problem. When I got my 6is, I had problems with them not fitting well. In my case, the flanges were too large and hurt my ears after being in for a short time.

I contacted them, and they sent me out a couple of the less commonly used eartips to try out. One of them worked for me.

They didn't charge me anything, and had them out to me very quickly. Great customer service!

Dave, I just read through your thread.

FWIW, you happen to have one of the best custom-molded ear plug guys located in your area. I've used him a number of times and am currently using two pair of his plugs, one with speakers and the other set are without speakers.

Once you use custom-molded plugs (especially if you have tough-to-fit ear canals, as I do), you won't try anything else.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll forward his contact info.

Good luck!

paulcbrowne

Before you give up or take the expensive custom-molded route, be sure to check your connections. You didn't say if you were using the ER-6 with your iPod, Autocom or... FWIW, I thought that I had a problem with my Autocom losing one channel, weak volume, static. I use the Autocom connector for the small stereo plug like the iPod for my earphones. I discovered that there's a bit of variability in the length of the sockets and plugs. I was sitting on my couch testing my Autocom on a 9v battery vs. connecting to the bike and accidentally discovered this. As I was inserting the plug from my earphones, I suddenly got both channels and louder volume. The plug was actually going in too far. I affixed a small O-ring from Home Depot on the Autocom adapters socket and that made the plug fit perfectly every time. Interestingly, this was a problem on 3 Autocom adapters that I tried. The ER-6i works perfectly with my iPod.

I'd also offer that the suggestion to try different tips is really worth a shot. Etymotics sent me a couple of sets for free. I have ear canals that otologists call in their colleagues to view "one of those things that you almost never see!" After four different sets of custom-molded earplugs, I found the Etymotics absolutely the best.

another possibility is the filter. these are new so it shouldn't be clogged, but, all I know is that mine went from sounding great to sounding awful pretty quick. When I changed the filters all was well. maybe, there is some gunk in there from manufacturing? anyway, just a thought..

This is probably moot since you already have the ety's, but... at the risk of getting flamed there might be another reason/alternative to the situation.

This is just MHO and I have nothing to gain or affiliation with either product or company other than my own personal experience in using/owning the products. Having said all that.....

It just might be that the frequency response for the ety's is just too narrow for you. They do roll off the bottom at a fairly high frequency compared to some other ear buds.

Etymotic ER6i

Features Frequency response: 50 Hz to 16 kHz

Tolerance: ±3 dB to 6 kHz, ±6 dB to 16 kHz re nominal

Transducer type: Balanced armature

1 kHz sensitivity: 108 dB @ 0.1V

Impedance: 16 Ohms

Maximum output: 120 dB SPL

Maximum continuous input: 2.5 Vrms

Weight: less than 1 oz.

They're very accurate and detailed just not exceptionally deep in the bass response.

That why I ended up settling on another ear bud.

Westone UM2

Specifications: Dual Driver True Fit Earphones

Sensitivity: 119dB/mW

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 18kHz

Impedance: 27 ohms

Driver: Dual Balanced armatures with a passive crossover

They do bass REALLY well even with an iPod Nano. They are also very revealing and detailed. Unfortunately, they're not very cheap.

Aside from that I would agree with others that the flange seal is critical to achieving the best sound possible with the etys. You usually have to get them fairly deeply seated to insure that they don't get air gaps while you move about inside your head.

Best regards,

Matt

This is probably moot since you already have the ety's, but...
It may also be moot because the UM2 are over 4X as expensive as the ER6i... wink.gif

Dave,

If you're not willing to give up on in-ear phones yet, you could try Shure. I had a pair of Shure E3C for a while and switched to the ER-6i. I like the Etymotics better, but Shure offers more bass and a slightly different fit that may or may not work better for you. The Shure E2C is under $100 and supposedly has good bass.

Please note that I use these primarily on long flights overseas and haven't tried them while riding (I use an Autocom on the bike).

Dave

I would tend to agree about the 6i earbuds. Not enough bass for my taste and the kind of music I listen to. I have tried quite a few different earbuds and really like the V-Moda Vibes, the Sony EX90s and the Altec Lansing IM616 (excellent isolation)for use without external amplification. The Altec Lansing IM716 sound even better, but really need an external headphone amp to perform at their best. I was fortunate to be able to purchase the Altec earbuds when they were on clearance for nearly 70% off, so I'm really happy with them. From what I understand, the prices have gone back up lately, so they may not be quite the bargain they once were.

Headphones in general and earbuds in particular are very personal preferences. One listeners "warm" sound is hopelessly bassy and muddy for another. Ones "accurate" reproduction is dull and flat for another. One person may find the tri-flange tips to provide excellent comfort and isolation while another might find them to be agonizing after just a few minutes of use.

Hi Dave,

If you have tried the various suggested mods such as cutting off one of the tip flanges (This assumes you have the three flange model) and you have tried talking to Etymotic then you probably are right. I have the two flange model and they work very well as long as I wet them before I insert them. Even then they take a little wiggling around to get them to seat just right. You are probably going to need another brand of ear-bud type earphones or possibly get a pair of custom molded inserts. I dated a girl who just could not get her Etys' to seat correctly in her ears and this was before Autocom had the separate volume controls so we could not use the helmet speakers. Needless to say it was not very much fun for either of us. If you are not finicky about stereo phonic sound quality then I would send and email to ArizonaAL on this board who makes custom molded audio inserts. He has many satisfied customers and I am sure you will get many years and miles out of a pair of his custom audio ear inserts. There are many posts on this board that attest to these type of in ear audio inserts from AzAL or other makers of custom molded earphones.

Cheers!

Archived