IGNORED

cacotin scenic byway... thurmont, md area...

lawnchairboy

Glad you enjoyed it. thumbsup.gif I'm only about 20 minutes from there. It's where I go to play then branch off and wind my way home or off to points beyond and unknown.

Paul Mihalka
http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/58845/

can't recommend the cacotin scenic byway up there in Paul Mihalka town highly enough. What a hoot.. sorry no pics, forgot the camera, plenty of snow on the ground still, lots of gravel remaining in the corners but a great route.

Yep. That's my extended backyard. This time of year it is my favorite afternoon ride when the mornings are real cold thumbsup.gif
tom collins

as a former montgomery countian, i think of those roads often. it could feel like an air-conditioner up there on really hot days. enjoy, you lucky dogs.

tom collins

I live on Braddock Mountain which is the name for the Catoctin range about 15 miles south of Thurmont. We have plenty of nice windy roads, and if you pick your times wisely, little if any traffic. Rte 17 and its feeder roads can be nice, as too the road thru the Catoctin NP (just be aware that you may be surveilled during much of that ride due to the "alleged" proximity of Camp David.

Unfortunately, many of the roads were questionable the past 30 days due to road icing from snow melt. Wasn't too bad this weekend as temps got into the 50s for a while. But I was able to get the RT out to accumulate the initial 600 miles.

This is a great place to ride! I was stationed at both Ft. Ritchie, near Cascade, MD and Ft. Detrick in Fredrick, MD. I got to know those roads well. Highway 550 from Thurmont to Blue Ridge Summit is a blast.

Oh, I can confirm the fine folks at Camp David will be watching while you toodle through Catoctin NP.

If you want to see another national secret, take highway 16 aka the Waynesboro Pike from Blue Ridge Summit, PA to Emmitsburg, MD. As you are driving to the east, when you get to Harbaugh Valley road start looking to your right. You'll see the entrance portals to Site 'R'

Also a former resident of Montgomery County (1990-1994). I had 1990 VFR 750 at the time. Sunday mornings and I was out the door early heading onto this road and the many others that make the area outstanding for riders.

Archived