IGNORED

Mapsource City Navigator v8

Bill in Vermont

Bill in Vermont

I use a Garmin Street Pilot 2610, and currently it has City Navigator North America 6.0 installed. A couple of months ago I ordered and received the updated version, v8. For some reason I recall that some found the update to cause some problems, so never installed it. Any comments? Any reason not to go ahead and install it? Thanks

Used v8 thru europe and the US in a 2610. Now on a 2730. No problems at all and don't remember hearing about any.

I seem to recall (you may want to confirm) someone saying that individual map segments are bigger, so there are fewer of them. This could be a drawback for some people depending on how much memory your GPS has. If your GPS can hold all map data contained in v8, then it's a non-issue.

Bill_Walker

As others have said, as long as you have a big memory card, it's a non-issue. And if you don't, cards are cheap right now. Slap a 2 GB card in there and you can have all of North America loaded all the time.

The only issue you might run into is installation, which depends on your computer. Unlike V6, V7 and V8 come on a DVD, not a CD, so if your computer is old and doesn't have a DVD drive, that could be an issue. Also, I found that that even though Garmin says Mapsource will run on Win98, the installer wouldn't run on my old Win98 machine. I had to upgrade to XP.

I upgraded my Quest2 with version 8 and now all of the POI's are listed twice. Doesn't hurt anything, it's just annoying.

Bill Dennes

I de-installed it from my Quest, reverting to City Select V7.

I live and ride in the Los Angeles area, which is one of the metropolitan areas that V8 knows about. It knows so much that it sets a turn point at EVERY freeway interchange, even if you're going straight through the thing. This demolishes the usefulness of Time to Next and Distance to Next.

I notice that V8 does not know so much about the San Diego area, and did not set those bogus turn points there.

Thus, V8 should be a good thing EXCEPT for travel through big metropolitan areas. tongue.gif

I de-installed it from my Quest, reverting to City Select V7.

I live and ride in the Los Angeles area, which is one of the metropolitan areas that V8 knows about. It knows so much that it sets a turn point at EVERY freeway interchange, even if you're going straight through the thing. This demolishes the usefulness of Time to Next and Distance to Next.

I notice that V8 does not know so much about the San Diego area, and did not set those bogus turn points there.

Thus, V8 should be a good thing EXCEPT for travel through big metropolitan areas. tongue.gif

I find that amazing. I've been thru 20 large cities without the problems you mention using both the 2610 and 2730. All loaded with V8.

I went from City Navigator v6 to v7 on my 2610 and had some problems. Then I remembered I never downloaded the newer version map to the unit. It kept telling me to exit where there weren't any off ramps... dopeslap.gif

It knows so much that it sets a turn point at EVERY freeway interchange, even if you're going straight through the thing.

That sounds more like a preference setting -- are you asking it to avoid freeways? I have seen that sort of behaviour on my SP-III with that preference set.

I imagine that the freeway ramps don't have freeway status in the database, so the routing follows the ramps in an effort to comply with the preference.

Effervescent

My new 2610 came with V7 and I installed the free V8 grade recently. Not a blip in NYC. About to ride to the Iron Butt dinner in Florida, will report back.

-Eff

It knows so much that it sets a turn point at EVERY freeway interchange, even if you're going straight through the thing.

That sounds more like a preference setting -- are you asking it to avoid freeways? I have seen that sort of behaviour on my SP-III with that preference set.

I imagine that the freeway ramps don't have freeway status in the database, so the routing follows the ramps in an effort to comply with the preference.

Or maybe it thinks that your on a GS!

Exit ramps? We don't need no steeenking exit ramps!

Gregg

Archived