IGNORED

Link: $59.99, shipped, Etymotic ER6i-BLK (so you don't get mugged)

Effervescent

Can you use these with an autocom (is an adaptor available from autocom)?

Yes...see a dealer...Plugs in line with the helmet cord, then earplugs plug into it- when earplugs are plugged in, they replace the helmet speakers...

Works well-

Good Luck

Can you use these with an autocom (is an adaptor available from autocom)?

Yes...see a dealer...Plugs in line with the helmet cord, then earplugs plug into it- when earplugs are plugged in, they replace the helmet speakers...

Works well-

Good Luck

Thanks for the confirmation that they'll work with autocom. What is the benefit over the regular speakers?

Just bought these from Amazon for $69.99, I very rarely buy extended warranties but this is item which I did get one for, my first set broke fairly quickly. They are quite delicate, doesn't take much of a pull to damage them and the cord whips around all over the place if you aren't careful (and I'm not).

What is the benefit over the regular speakers?

Excellent sound and pretty good isolation, you can hear sirens OK though...

Thanks for the confirmation that they'll work with autocom. What is the benefit over the regular speakers?

Way better sound and lower volume level.

Disadvantage is something in your ear but if you wear ear plugs no big whoop.

Also make sure your helmet style can accomodate the in ear plugs.

I notice the Etymotic is similar to another brand I bought . Koss "spark plug"

I took them out of the package, put in ears then tried to put FF helmet on.

Nearly ripped my ears off. Turned around and returned them 5 minutes later.

I know a lot of folks use these phones so I know it can be done. Just not with my helmet.

I went with a much smaller Sony in ear unit with a contoured profile.

Also make sure your helmet style can accomodate the in ear plugs.

Thanks. I guess I stay with the headsets that I currently have.

Sorry for the hijack Eff

bakerzdosen
Just bought these from Amazon for $69.99
+1 bncry.gif

Keep in mind that Etymotic service is quite good if you do ever damage them.

bakerzdosen
How do these compare to the Bose insertable earphones @ $100.00
OK, first of all, my disclaimer: I don't like Bose at all. I think they are the Microsoft of the speaker world (aka all marketing and no substance.) Feel free to disagree. It's just my opinion (but most stereo aficionados (geeks?) will tend to agree).

Now, with that said. The Bose IE Triports are more conventional than their normal stuff. So, most reviews that I've seen of them say that they're better than most Bose stuff... so they're actually pretty average. They'd probably fare well up against most $40 Sony in-ear headphones. However, if you put them up against a product from Etymotic, Shure, Ultimate Ears, Westone, etc, they'd be way out of their league.

HOWEVER, if you can't handle true isolating headphones, these could be just the thing for you. Some people can't take additional pressure in their ears when flying. If that's you, these could be perfect for you as they apparently don't really close your ears off.

Thanks for the tip, Effervescent. I've been intending to purchase a set of these for some time but hadn't found the right deal. It doesn't get any better than $60. thumbsup.gif

I used the link you provided at Buy.com and the price is $69.99 now. Do I have the wrong link or did they up their price?

bakerzdosen
I used the link you provided at Buy.com and the price is $69.99 now. Do I have the wrong link or did they up their price?
If you use Google checkout for the first time, it's $10 off...

I didn't read it well the first time either.

They come with the silicone ear buds, but you can get a foam ear bud also - much like regular ear plugs. I found the foam ones to be more comfortable for me, but they do get nasty dirty pretty quickly.

I bought mine from the ear plug superstore a few years ago for substanially more than $59 - but I have been really happy with them. That's also where I got the foam ear buds.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a pair. Did the "google" purchase (-$10) and paid a few bucks for quicker shipping (I can be impatient). Should be here any day now.

Regards, Lou

If you use these with Autocom, how do you rig the microphone?
You can buy (or make) a 'pass-through' adapter that connects to the Autocom DIN plug and directs audio to the earphones while not affecting the microphone connection.

I took them out of the package, put in ears then tried to put FF helmet on.

Nearly ripped my ears off. Turned around and returned them 5 minutes later.

just to show that everyone, and, their helmets, are different. I'm amzed how I can put my ety's on, pull on my X-11 nad have no issues whatsoever. When I pull helmet off, they are still lodged firmly in my ears. I can't imagine them working any better. Now, the Shure EC2's were a completely different story. I couldn't wear them with a helmet. Way better sound though. As always, ymmv.

cheers

Archived