IGNORED

How can I seal the Aerostich Roadcrafter from leaks

mos

I just purchased a Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 pc suit. I have not use it on the bike yet but I hear it can leak in heavy rains thru the zipper eek.gif. Want to address it before it is a problem. What works ?

Mike

ShovelStrokeEd

Best thing you can do is use a tent seam sealer. Aerostitch even sells the stuff.

Most of the leaks through the zipper are caused by water pooling in the crotch area due to the tendency of that area to bunch up and form a bowl. While not the most decorous of moves, standing on the pegs and just yanking the material out of its bunch up, and then re-seating seems to work best for me.

Mos, Just use the Nikwax TX direct wash in waterproofing. In fact, just go ahead and do the whole wash proceedure with the Nikwax soap which is supposed to prep the fabric for the waterproofing. Don't forget to remove the pads first!

Follow the directions and don't skimp on the Nikwax. I even allow it to soak in a bit longer before the rinse cycle. Check your hands after handling the suit in the washer. Water beads on your skin and will not sheet off. I've not had a problem with leaks since washing and reproofing with these products.

The only time I had a crotch zipper leak was when I rode in a hard rain for a long time and water pooled in the crotch area. This happened with a used one piece Roadcrafter and was before I washed and reproofed it.

IMHO, the spray on waterproofing isn't nearly as effective as the wash in method.

I have no experience with seam sealer on the Roadcrafter, never felt the need to use it. Not saying it doesn't work, just never done it.

I've had my stich for about three years. I've ridden in some really hard rain several times and I've never had any problems with my zipper leaking. It's time to wash mine and I plan on using the nikwax soap.

Good luck.

+1 on the tent seam sealer.

I use the 3M Waterproof/Anti Mildew spray found at West Marine and other retailers.

Seam sealer WILL stain the suit if you get it on the outside of the suit, and it will not come out. Use it only on the woven zipper material as recommended by Aerostich, not on the suit itself.

Thanks for all your help . I plan on using Mikwax wash and then seam seal on the inside of the zipper material .

Mike

Just curious, what type of seam sealer are you folks using? In my experience as a camper, I've seen the water based seam sealer and the other is petroleum based. The petrol based stuff I'm familiar with is Coleman brand and comes in a toothpaste tube. It's clear and reminds me of model airplane glue.

The water based stuff is milky colored and flakes off after a couple years.

Are either of these the type of seam sealer you're using on your stich zippers??

AdventurePoser

A worthy question, and you have gotten good responses...for me, I use a three- pronged approach.

First, a clean suit is best. I wash it carefully with the NixWax products already mentioned. Then, I carefully treat all the zippered seams with a tent seam sealer. This is not a hard job and doesn't take too long. Finally, I use an aerosol can of Scotch Guard on the suit.

With all this being said, my suit still leaks. I think it is because I am tall, the water hits my chest, runs down and pools in my lap. Eventually the water finds it's way through the zipper...but, the treatments do help.

I've owned several 'Stiches and I love them, but it is not a "one use for everything" suit. If heavy, prolonged riding in the rain is called for, I pull on a rain jacket. Problem solved, completely!

Steve in So Cal

Hi Mike,

You might want to try 3M ScotchGuard before you try the NikWax. I have used the NikWax twice, following the directions very carefully and it just did not work for me. In a moderate rainfall, the suit was soaked and starting to leak through after 45 minutes. I ride a sport bike with very little fairing protection so that might be the difference between my experience and what others are reporting.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers! grin.gif

Hey Mike,

I'm getting ready to treat my suit with Nikwax. Can you tell me how you washed yours and what you think went wrong?

Thanks,

Hunter

Hi Mike,

You might want to try 3M ScotchGuard before you try the NikWax. I have used the NikWax twice, following the directions very carefully and it just did not work for me. In a moderate rainfall, the suit was soaked and starting to leak through after 45 minutes. I ride a sport bike with very little fairing protection so that might be the difference between my experience and what others are reporting.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers! grin.gif

Archived