IGNORED

Deauville

Steve1962

Just to get my fix ,

I arranged a test ride on a Honda Deauville - 700 cc shaft drive small tourer .

PICT0001Medium.jpg

PICT0002Medium.jpg

PICT0004Medium.jpg

PICT0006Medium.jpg

PICT0007Medium.jpg

My observations :

It 's easy to ride , and the weather protection is good .

Ergonomics are fine , and the seat is comfortable .

The clutch and brakes are both up to the job [ this bike has ABS ] , and the motor is willing if you " use the rev range " .

I found the mirrors vibrated above 75 mph , but that stopped at 100 mph [ tested on a motorway ] .

Overall a good little bike for a solo tourer , but I reckon it would struggle two up fully loaded - it doesn't have the torque I'm used to , but at half the price of the 1200RT it's still good vfm .

I enjoyed the ride , choosing a winding B road for a 30 mile blast - in this terrain the Deauville copes easily at a steady pace - I can see it lasting forever without trouble , but it lacks " character " .

I'm still smiling though , as I got out on a bike , even if it was under false pretences .

See ya ,

Steve

Between bikes

I have just got back in from being my kids taxi driver grin.gif

I had a Deauville in 2000, they were a 650 then but not a lot different in power. The bike is a lovely little one-person tourer but struggles two-up with luggage. The weather protection is surprisingly good and I found it perfect for commuting. In fact I have recently been looking to find a cheap old one for just that purpose but found no cheap ones - they hold their value well.

If the bike lacks anything, it is character. Although it is built in Spain at the Montessa factory - it says Montessa-Honda on the VIN plate - it is still a Honda, well made, competent and reliable. In the UK it has the not really deserved nickname of 'Dullsville'.

Good to see you out and about on a bike again Steve. We have a local Moto Guzzi dealer who will hire out a Norge for the day...... I am thinking about doing so soon - we could share the day on it.

Andy

Andy ,

Spot on in your summation there . Personally , I found the light clutch and oh so easy gear change very refreshing , and the bike nimble [ enough for me anyway ] .

It's just a bike that you get on , and ride , without any fuss or bother , and it gives you the felling that it will go on forever without protesting .

I'm up for the Norge too clap.gifclap.gif , that would make a good comparison .

See you soon ,

Steve

Paul Mihalka

When you guys describe the Deauville it sounds like you are describing a BMW K75. I would have loved to see a K900 triple based on the newer technology.

They look fine to me, but they would be great for your camera with a long lens, I think there's a hole that goes from one pannier to the other.

Steve

Francois_Dumas

Good to see you riding Steve.

I tested the 650 as part of my quest for a first bike.... it is advertised all over the place here as being an ideal 'first bike'.

To be honest, I didn't much like it. Took weakly powered for a big bloke like me, and too small too.

The Paneuropean was more to my liking..... not not comparable price wise of course !

Well, or was the BMW I got me in the end, but that's a different story grin.gif

Francois ,

You make a valid point - this bike certainly suits smaller riders , and only has 65 bhp [ considering that it weighs a bit more than the RT ] .

However , overall , for the right rider ,this is a great little machine - sure , it won't set the roads alight , but it is bomb proof and so easy to use .

Steve

Nice one Steve, good to see you back on a bike, Mark Crook had a Deauville, did a lot of touring on it, and he rates it very highly.

Looking at that and the R1200RT you can't believe it is HEAVIER than the RT, is it made of Tungsten??

All the best to all at home

George and Kathy

Paul_Burkett

When I look at this bike, it seems to morph back and forth between Honda's and BMW's. The line is getting thinner between the two. If the asking price was $15,000.00, then there would be no way to tell them apart. lmao.gif

When I look at this bike, it seems to morph back and forth between Honda's and BMW's. The line is getting thinner between the two. If the asking price was $15,000.00, then there would be no way to tell them apart. lmao.gif

The asking price is £6,650.00 - about $13,000.00 - not that far from BMW terrritory - except the R1200RT is about £12,000.00 or $23,400.00.

Andy

Francois_Dumas

Wow, that's a lot more expensive now then.. When I looked (okay 3 years ago) at the 650 it was under 10.000 (Euros) still.

When you guys describe the Deauville it sounds like you are describing a BMW K75. I would have loved to see a K900 triple based on the newer technology.

thumbsup.gif Stick it into a bike with ergonomics and fairing similar to the 75S, and you have a winner.

Archived