IGNORED

Riding with Allie, and Pix

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

As promised by TWC, Saturday dawned bright and clear in So Cal this morning, and Allie was up bright and early-well, at least for Allie…By 0900 we were deep in the regimen of preparing for her first “long” ride. Like it was for the knights of days gone by, getting dressed for the ride is elaborate: “Light pants, riding pants, long sleeve shirt, THEN boots, Allie. If you put your boots on first, you can’t put on your riding pants, dear…” Then we follow up by braiding hair and the helmet…Oh, one last thing. You gotta make sure the ears are on tight!

26935559.jpg

Whew. Once on the bike we snick quickly through the gears searching for that perfect cruising speed. Unfortunately, the State of California and I aren’t in complete agreement on what this speed is, but we settled for 72 mph. Soon we were west bound on the I-210, heading for Moorpark, deserted country roads, and oranges. Of course, Allie is interested in our ultimate round-a-bout destination, Ventura, because that’s where the vanilla ice cream is located! I have a sneaking suspicion that the only reason she wants to ride to Oregon is because of fresh, creamy Tillamook ice cream!

26935562.jpg

As any parent knows, the key to keeping your sanity on any road trip with children is to keep them occupied. On a bike, this is a challenge! Counting games are good. We quickly decided to play “Slug bug.” The object of this game is to spot VWs or PT Cruisers. First person to see a “slug bug” gets to hit the other player in the arm.

In our effort to raise Kinder, Gentler children, the rules are amended to just yelling out the car and color and keeping score. By the time we downshifted into Fillmore, the score was Allie 9, and Steve 2. I reminded her that she was probably cheating. She responded by showing me by extended fingers how many she saw. Only problem was that she reached forward and put her gloves over my visor to show me.

After a few seconds of IFR riding, we were back on track, now winding our way through the orange country surrounding Fillmore. Oranges are what sunny So Cal is famous for, even though groves seem to be on the endangered species list. We felt fortunate to be cruising through this warm valley, the scent of orange blossom wafting over us. Cooled in the afternoon by breezes that flow from the Pacific Ocean a scant few miles away, this valley offers the perfect climate for citrus fruit, avocadoes, and riding with an eleven year old copilot!

25685053.jpg

At a quaint church in the middle of the groves we stopped for water and “Gushers” break. Allie remarked,” Did you see that “In and Out” in that last city? I and O is Allies favorite hamburger place, and the comment, once interpreted, meant that she was hungry. I told her to hang on for about 20 minutes-we’d ride some twisties, see some horses, and get a bit to eat at the Summit Inn, near Ojai. The promise of seeing horses helped Allie forget about the rapidly growing hole in her stomach.

26935557.jpg

The Summit Inn is a good place to stop and relax on a warm spring day. Food is good, plentiful and reasonably priced. Allie, eating like a starving wolf, packed away a cheeseburger, fries and drink. Being mindful of preserving my girlish figure, I scavenged a fry or two and the tomato out of her burger.

Fun on a motorcycle means many things to different people. For Allie, it meant a nap on a hay bale. For me, it meant talking to a couple of other riders who happened by…one, a KTM rider, and the other, a pilot of a new Gold Wing. Nice guys, both. The GW guy wanted to know if he could take his bike to Alaska, so we sat around and talked Alaska for awhile. Meanwhile, Allie was still sleeping…

26935560.jpg

Once roused, Allie wanted to climb a tree before riding…We did that for a few minutes, and then suited up. I had visions of twisties to cruise before heading back home. Allie said, “Oh boy, we’re gonna ride the twisties!!” It was one of those rare moments when a 52 and 11 year old think EXACTLY alike. Cosmic.

26935567.jpg

Off we went, zipping down into the Ojai Valley and up the other side on CA 150 to Bates Road. CA 150 is a sun-dappled ribbon of joy for us this afternoon. No traffic and I can hear Allie singing in her helmet. By now, the inland valley was heating up, which meant one thing….the coastal wind was ON! We stopped at Bates to watch the paraglider action as they soared 100’s of feet over our heads.

After watching the gliders dance on the wind, we made a quick bee line down US 101 to Seaward Ave and ice cream by the beach. By now, the clouds were starting to drive back inland and it was getting chilly. Not too chilly for Allie to eat ice cream, mind you. As for me, I ordered a big, steaming mug of decaf.

From here, it was counting games and “Slug Bug” all the way back to Glendora. The Final score was Allie 164 and me, 6. I still think she cheated…

In all, a lovely day with a lovely girl!

26935566.jpg

There will come a time when it probably won’t be “cool” to hang around with Dad. I’m hoping we have lots of rides just like today before that day comes!

Cheers,

Steve

russell_bynum

Once roused, Allie wanted to climb a tree before riding…

Oh man...that kid TOTALLY gets it. Way to go Allie!! clap.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gif

There will come a time when it probably won't be "cool" to hang around with Dad. I'm hoping we have lots of rides just like today before that day comes!

The two of you look like the Dad/daughter combo for which that day won't come within the next 50 years or so.

Truly wonderful, Steve. Just one word: CONGRATS!!!

[And thanks for sharing. Great ride report, and marvellous pictures]

Once again Steve, thanks so much for sharing your trip pics. You 4 are wonderful and lucky to be with each other. Say hi to your 3 girls for me.

Steve,

What a great ride tale! I cannot wait for my son to reach riding age ... and my wife to agree to let him join me (which may take longer)! That also is one of my favorite rides ... Thousand Oaks to Fillmore to Santa Paula to Ojai and up to the top of Pine Mtn. In fact, I had my first long ride in quite a while 2 weekends ago on that very route ... but on my Phoenix and not the RT. If you want some awesome pizza, tomato salad and strawberry shortcake, stop at Boccali's at the bottom of the twisties dropping into the east end of the Ojai valley.

Awesome photos ... and I'm sure awesome memories for you!

Jim

There will come a time when it probably won’t be “cool” to hang around with Dad. I’m hoping we have lots of rides just like today before that day comes!

I hope the first part never comes true, and that the second part will be true for as long as you want. What a blessing that could be.

Tell Allie I say "Hey Kid, welcome.gif nice lid!" Sans ears and tail, it looks like something I would wear.

P.S. There must be a disturbance in the cosmos: despite your activities, there was no winter weather here this weekend, and I actually got to go for a ride Saturday, too. grin.gif

AdventurePoser

Thanks for the nice words...only thing that scares me is that she can fall asleep on the bike in a second. In the car, she's the one who keeps me entertained while everyone else is snoring away. On the bike, what gives?? Is it the vibration, sun, motion???

Jim, I've ridden by that restaurant a hundred times and never stopped. We'll give it a try!

Steve

only thing that scares me is that she can fall asleep on the bike in a second. In the car, she's the one who keeps me entertained while everyone else is snoring away. On the bike, what gives?? Is it the vibration, sun, motion???

I had an old girlfriend that would always fall asleep within 15 minutes. She never came close to falling off. I think it's a really good sign - it means she is totally relaxed in everyway possible. She is enjoying riding and being with you.

Now, as far as that comment about being cool to be with dad. Maybe the day will come when her interest will change and yeah, she wants to be with friends or boys!! Yes, boys!!! BUT - the bonding the two of you are doing now will run deeper than any new friend or the lastest boy flesh. There will come a day when you will be looking at these pictures, both of you smiling and she will lean over and kiss you and in that moment you will feel like a KING! You will own the world and be happier than you feel now when your riding.

Keep the pictures coming. She is so beautiful and between her smile and your write-ups it's great!!!

Loved that story Steve! My 20 yr old daughter (a University of Kentucky student - Go Cats!) went riding with me yesterday. Her Dad is cool as long as he continues to ride a Beemer. grin.gif All the truckers think I hooked up with a young chick though. eek.gif She's a real cutie, a 4 time home coming queen atendant. clap.gif Thanks for taking the time to show us what it's all about!

That is great stuff Steve. Those type of rides will, in memory, probably rank among the best of your rides ever! clap.gif

PT Cruisers?! When did they get added?

I know. I wondered the same!

Around here "PT Cruiser" is always followed by "Your a Looser!"

Steve,

Thanks for sharing. What a great reminder of how wonderful it is to share the lives of children. I had another reminder a couple of days ago. We have four children still at home, the youngest of which is 8. We were having dinner with a couple whose children have long left home for college. I was stupidly complaining about how our 8 year old would run down the hall in the middle of the night, seeking refuge in our bedroom and waking us up. The father turned to me with a wistful look in his eyes and said, "I would give anything to once again hear the pitter patter of little feet running down the hallway and into our bedroom to wake us up."

These are indeed precious times. Thanks for the reminder.

Great report--that trip over Sulphur Mountain is one of my favorites too. Thanks for reminding me why I love to ride there as much as I do. I'll be looking forward to the Oregon trip report with Allie.

Dave

You sure know how to make a guy REALLY miss his own daughter.....

Awesome story, absolutely great! You've really started something here now..... Better keep us ALL updated for the next 10 or 15 years at least, eh? thumbsup.gif

Now...the next trip should be the big PCH...all the way to the new place.....

Pat

AdventurePoser
Great report--that trip over Sulphur Mountain is one of my favorites too. Thanks for reminding me why I love to ride there as much as I do. I'll be looking forward to the Oregon trip report with Allie.

Dave

Allie and I are riding to Alaska for her sixteenth birthday present. I'm sure it'll be a grand adventure!

Steve

Damn Steve...I can't believe I waited so long to read that report... confused.gifconfused.gif

I just cant' stop smiling when I read your ride reports, probably because you always have a beautiful woman along with you... blush.gifcool.gifgrin.gif

I just can't wait to get a few of those rides in w/ my son (and daughter) when they can reach the pegs. Maybe if I start working on the SO now...hmmmmmm. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Steve,as a daughter who was very close to her Dad what your doing will be cherished by Allie even when she is grown. Even though I has 3 sisters and a brother My Dad and I were buddies. I drank coffee with him at 4:00am before he went to work starting when I was 4 years old and went fishing with every summer. He died when I was 16 and I am thankful of the time we spent together. So remember this is something you are both going to remember and cherish.

Good job,clap.gif

Brenda

Mrs. Critter

Steve,

I'll really be looking forward to the Alaska trip report with Allie! Please let me know if I can be of any help on that one.

Best wishes,

Dave

Boy, Steve, you really know how to tug at the ol' heart strings. What a great post, and the pix were fantastic. The one of Allie with the hole in the knee of her jeans is priceless. I'm the father of two daughters, so I know the feelng of how special they are to Dad....Hey, Allie, your Dad's a cool dude!

You went to several places on that ride that brought back lots of memories of my own childhood. When my father worked at Pt. Mugu, we lived first in Oxnard, then in Camarillo. I went to Camarillo High School, just over Conejo Grade from Thousand Oaks. This was in the late 1950's and early 1960's, when lemon and orange groves were everywhere, and smog was a novelty. Sadly, no more.

Bob Wilson

Ellicott City, MD

Steve, the relationship between a father and daughter never grows old. Little arms hugging daddy are what life is all about. Long live searching out corners to make memories.

There will come a time when it probably won't be "cool" to hang around with Dad. I'm hoping we have lots of rides just like today before that day comes!

The two of you look like the Dad/daughter combo for which that day won't come within the next 50 years or so.

Truly wonderful, Steve. Just one word: CONGRATS!!!

[And thanks for sharing. Great ride report, and marvellous pictures]

I would repeat exactly what Erick said. What a wonderful series of pictures, hope I can some day share the passion like that with my kid (darn I want kids so bad!). And she is so inbelievably cute in that last pic!

clap.gifclap.gif CONGRATULATIONS!!! clap.gifclap.gif

Archived