IGNORED

XM Weather Cost?

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Lord, which of the different XM radar products do y'all use? The ground package is a hundred bucks a month. Must be for something more than what we use on our bikes?

Do you have to sign up for a year, or can you do a monthly, or three-monthly deal?

I know, I know, I can call XM, but that's sort of a fate worse than getting flamed here for not doing so. blush.gif

Lets_Play_Two
Lord, which of the different XM radar products do y'all use? The ground package is a hundred bucks a month. Must be for something more than what we use on our bikes?

Do you have to sign up for a year, or can you do a monthly, or three-monthly deal?

I know, I know, I can call XM, but that's sort of a fate worse than getting flamed here for not doing so. blush.gif

Everything you always wanted to know about XM weather without making a phone call. thumbsup.gif

http://www.xmradio.com/weather/get_xm_wx.xmc

bakerzdosen

Keep in mind, most people seem (from what I've read) to use either one of the marine or aviation packages due to their cost. You get mostly everything you need. Activation on the marine seems to be the least expensive.

markgoodrich

Thanks for the replies. I'd looked at the web site, but only at the ground "solution," wisely concluding my motorcycle can neither fly nor float. Or maybe not so wisely. Seems like the best deal is a $50 signup fee, then $30 a month. I'm thinking my Blackberry Pearl will show storm systems on radar, and I'm already paying for the service. Don't get the fancy moving cells or pretty colors, but on the other hand, heretofore I've always just gotten wet. Tragic, being gadget crazy and cheap.

Mark,

The ground subscription is aimed at emergency responders. I am currently using one of the Marine packages on my 376c. I am still evaluating cost/benefit, so I have the "master mariner package" at this time.

Got the "Fisherman" package, $29.95/mo. Well worth it if you find yourself riding often in weather that is subject to change--like thunderstorm season here in the S.E. from around mid-May thru Sept. Lays the Nexrad radar returns right over your ground track--makes dodging the storms a breeze. And you can add XM radio for $6.00/mo. extra. They will bill your credit card monthly so you just forget about it once you're signed up--but you can cancel at any time and re-activate later--like only during the months you need it!!

markgoodrich

Okay, after proclaiming rather loudly that I don't need no steenking XM radar, now for some reason I absolutely HAVE to have it. But looking at the Garmin site, it appears the 376c allows it, but hardly any others, such as 2730, or Zumos. Izzatso? confused.gif

Okay, after proclaiming rather loudly that I don't need no steenking XM radar, now for some reason I absolutely HAVE to have it. But looking at the Garmin site, it appears the 376c allows it, but hardly any others, such as 2730, or Zumos. Izzatso? confused.gif

Yup! I shopped around--478 (plus GXM30) is the best deal--the entire database is pre-loaded so you don't have to buy an expensive Garmin mem. card, and even then your capacity for map area is somewhat limited. Bought from http://www.usnav.com/Automotive-GPS-C45.aspx They are nice folks, actually own a nice retail store not too far from where I live, and their prices are as good as I have seen.

Archived