IGNORED

:::Garmin 376C or 276C...which one..?:::

hANNAbONE

The mapping functionality is identical. Your choice based on needing the built XM radio and WX radar. Keep in mind that the "built in" XM radio requires a large (~4 inches)seperate antenna that actually contains the XM receiver.

I currently have both.

376c if you want XM radio or weather. Otherwise 276c

(376c is available at PCNation for less than $700)

The 376/378 comes with City Navigator preloaded and with XM and NEXRAD functionality built into the base unit. You'll need to pay a monthly subscription for XM and NEXRAD. $$$$

A 276 + City Navigator + 256 memory will cost $712. It's a sturdy unit, suited to motorcycle use, with a large hi-res screen that is easy to see in bright sunlight. The buttons are easy to use with a gloved hand and the onboard battery allows you to play with it off the bike.

The 376/378 is the same unit with the other features motioned above. A 378 with City Nav included + 256 memory will cost $898.

I'd go for the 276 unless the XM and NEXRAD are on must have options.

I have seen the 276c on Froogle for $330. I have also seen them on Froogle for $430. I know someone at Garmin, and if customers don't move the units the turn them over to discounters who sell them for such low prices. As I have been told, the units still are covered by full Garmin warranty. I personally could not care less about XM or any of that stuff. So, I will be ordering a 276c for my Divide Ride this summer.

The 376/378 comes with City Navigator preloaded

The 376c does NOT come with City Navigator Preloaded.

The 378/478 come preloaded, however, since the version is a compressed version to allow using the Garmin memory modules as the media, the maps are not compatible with the CD version. I believe this effects routes created on a PC.

tHANKS gENTS...I was leaning toward the 276C anyway -- just wondered if any of my homies had the 376C and if it was worth the extra dough.

I've already got XM if I desire to hook it up - and a iPod to do the long stuff...so the music/radio is in the bag for me.

I think the price is the biggie for me - considering they do/are the same animal for the actual GPS function.

Although that weather thang might be a deal maker -- eek.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.giflurker.giflurker.gif

The 376/378 comes with City Navigator preloaded

The 376c does NOT come with City Navigator Preloaded.

The 378/478 come preloaded, however, since the version is a compressed version to allow using the Garmin memory modules as the media, the maps are not compatible with the CD version. I believe this effects routes created on a PC.

IMO the big feature of the 376/378/478 over the 276C is XM weather.

The key feature of the 378 over the 376 is that the 378 has enough built-in flash to allow a complete set of DETAILED maps and waypoints (not just the base maps) to be preloaded into the unit. In fact the 378/478 come complete with all the maps and information for the unit to be used on the road. The 276/376 require one to purchase road maps. Be aware that in order to make the 276/376 useful for long trips, one must PURCHASE a Garmin memory card. Unfortunately while the price of universal flash cards continue to fall - you'll pay a huge premium for the Garmin proprietary cards.

With the 378/478 you will not need the flash memory cards but you could use one to store music or trip info. The primary reason the 378/478 maintains the Garmin card port is to allow use of pre-programmed cards with navigation, fishing and other applications.

I use the 276C and purchased the 512MB card. This allows me to have at least a third of the USA in detailed maps plus all of the Arizona and most of the Utah and NM Topo maps plus a complet set of Mexico maps including Topo of Copper Canyon. All this on one card. To view the topo, I just "unselect" CN8 in the map menu and the default is then the topo. I frequently toggle between them. If I head anywhere east of Texas, I just bring another data card with the appropriate maps loaded. Works for me...

I've had a 276C for three riding seasons, along with a 512MB data card for detailed map data. The big advantage, in my view, of any of the Garmin "marine" units (276C, 376C, 378/478) is that, since they are made for use aboard boats, they have great displays (easily read in bright sun), they have battery power (very handy, even though mine is hard-wired to the bike),. and there is heavy emphasis on the unit's navigation functions (this is why we use them, isn't it?).

FYI... some approximate prices

Garmin 376C: $700

GPSMAP 276C/376C Navigation Kit: $175

Garmin 512M Flash Card: $125

-------------------------------------

Total: $900 (may need to add $40 for the flash card programmer)

Garmin 378C: $780

The 378C has the same basic functionality and accessories listed for the 376C. So if trying to decide between the 376C and 378C the question is:

1. Would you rather have ALL the detailed maps preloaded and not have to mess with the memory cards and card programmer? (Remember, 512MB is the largest Garmin card but not large enough for the entire US.)

-or-

2. Do you prefer City Navigator NA and the 376C's navigation over the maps and algorythms of the 378C (yes, unfortunately they are different)?

Cheers,

Greg

The 378 makes more sense than the 376C for me.

But the 276C if you find a good deal on a used one w/ all the extras, is a good deal.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Isn't the weather service a subscription thing? How much is it per month?

Warining on Garmin site for 378"

The GPSMAP® 378 comes preloaded with U.S. Inland Lakes and City Navigator NT data. These two detailed sets of maps are combined together in the 378 to form one large, comprehensive set of data that covers both land and sea.

Because of the unique way the map data has been combined and loaded, the GPSMAP 378 is not compatible with Garmin's City Navigator NT North America DVD, which is sold separately. For example, if you use this City Navigator NT DVD to plan routes on your computer and transfer them to the 378, the unit will recalculate each transferred route.

Warining on Garmin site for 378"

The GPSMAP® 378 comes preloaded with U.S. Inland Lakes and City Navigator NT data. These two detailed sets of maps are combined together in the 378 to form one large, comprehensive set of data that covers both land and sea.

Because of the unique way the map data has been combined and loaded, the GPSMAP 378 is not compatible with Garmin's City Navigator NT North America DVD, which is sold separately. For example, if you use this City Navigator NT DVD to plan routes on your computer and transfer them to the 378, the unit will recalculate each transferred route.

Above is correct--but the 478 does NOT have this problem--I just bought one. The marine database on the 478 does not conflict with Mapsource as the inland waters database on the 378 does, so you can plan routes and transfer them with no problems. Get the XM--I use it to overlay weather radar returns over my course in real time when I'm riding in thunderstorm season and it is really nice!!

Archived