IGNORED

3M or InvisiGard protective tape

Tapatio

i bought the 3m kit myself but had a bit of hard time getting the bubbles out of it so I only did certain area of the bike(make sure you use plenty of soapy water). had a little hard time trying to figure out were some of the piecses when but contacted the company and they were very helpful and offered up some extra tips on installation. not bad for the price compared to some of the other kits out there. but for the headlight im going to use the cee baileys light guard as these films really dont offer much protection.

I bought an InvisiGARD kit for my bike to try to protect the tank and the beak. I'm a reasonably handy DIYer and despite careful reading of the instructions, and starting with the smallest and easiest pieces first, and I had a heck of a time applying the larger pieces on curved surfaces. I ended up throwing the largest pieces for the beak away because they didn't seem to fit right, and didn't look good. I kept the larger pieces on the tank but only because of the protection they can provide. I'm not pleased with how they look either. So, I wouldn't try that product again.

I had some version of a 3M protective film professionally applied to my car and it is nearly invisible. I'm quite pleased with it, despite the higher cost.

One question comes to mind. After you have it on for a couple years and then remove it, is the paint fade pattern different for the area under the film?

One question comes to mind. After you have it on for a couple years and then remove it, is the paint fade pattern different for the area under the film?

I don't have direct experience with that, but InvisiGARD's FAQ says "no."

I had the 3M product installed on my 2002 K12RS by the dealer when it was new and so far I have had no problems. If it weren't for the dirt that gathers along the edges, I would barely know it is there.

I've got InvisiGard on my R12RT - the most difficult sections to apply, were those for the side cases, due to the edge of the sheet being close to the curve - so there are a couple of small bubbles that won't stick down.

For the price they should send the guy from their video to do the installation!

JerryMather

Ron-

If you located in SoCal there's a shop that does this for ya. A few friends have done their sportbikes and unless they told you that it was done, you wouldn't even know.

It works and I'm planning on having it done to my Ducati after it gets painted.

I just bought some 3m film in bulk from EXPEL, cut and installed it myself. It works great, but you have to be patient. The key is trying to minimize the bubbles while laying it down. EXPEL will send you a squeegee and instructions with your order. Also, you can buy thicker film for your headlight. Go to the Expel website and click on Products. Scroll down the page where you can order film in custom sizes.

Urban Surfer

I'm not good at this sort of thing, so where should I have the 3M material installed, I bike shop or a detailer?

Archived