Jump to content

Goosebay & NewFoundland


Recommended Posts

This ride tale has been sitting in a photo album for a few years. It’s a ride that still holds great memories for me. It’s a story I’ll have to tell mostly through pictures. I can still remember the anticipation in planning it and the excitement the day we left.


The planning began a year before we even had the bikes. A KLR 650 was the bike I thought I would have for the ride. Until, my friend Mitch found two leftover F650’s. At the time there seemed to be very little information on the route or stories of people that had made this trip. This only added to the excitement.


The pictures are not the best quality. They were before digital. I think you can still get a feel for the trip.


The plan was to ride up to Goosebay, hop a ferry to Newfoundland then another back to N. Sydney NS.


We spent the first night in Baie Comeau Quebec. The ride along the St. Lawrence north of Quebec City was beautiful. Smooth pavement, rolling hills overlooking the waterway. This would be very different than what the next few days would bring.


We took HWY 389 to the Trans Labrador HWY 500. The road was paved and well maintained until we got to the Manic 5 Dam.






From here the road turned to gravel, still in good shape you could run forty or fifty miles per hour in most places. These are a few pictures along the way to Goosebay.








When you get in the middle of approximately seven hundred miles of dirt road, you start feeling really alone. One of the comments along the way was we should have left this trip in our minds. This was camp the first night on the Trans Labrador Hwy basically just a clearing along the road.



At the time we were on the TLH there was some construction on it. They were straightening it for truck traffic but, taking the fun out of the road for us motorcyclists.




Just a little wrenching after a minor tip over. I learned that you shouldn’t laugh too hard when your friend drops his bike because, pay back does come around and it did.




This sign is on the Goosebay end of the Hwy just a reminder of what you’re in for.




We spent two nights in Goosebay waiting for the ferry to show up. It’s not a place with a lot of flash. The airport did have a lot of military aircraft there. We saw six German Tornados there. Sorry no pictures.


The Sir Robert Bond took us to Lewisporte N.F. The trip took thirty six hours.





Looking off the stern of the ship leaving Goosebay.





The next morning we woke and saw these out our cabin window. We ran up on deck to get a couple of pictures. I guess it’s not called Iceberg Ally for nothing.





Once in Newfoundland we made our way to St. John’s. It was mid July when we were there and it was cold. The heated grips and vest were smoking that day.


St. John’s Harbor (not my pictures)




Next stop Europe




I can’t quite remember where these pictures were taken but, they are of a typical N.F. fishing harbor and lighthouse.




On our way to Argentina to catch the ferry back to Nova Scotia, we spent a few hours at Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve. The cliffs were a thing of beauty.





These birds are called Northern Gannets. We were told there were five to six thousand pairs that nested there.




Myself and my friend Mitch.



This was one of the more difficult rides I have done to date. The dirt section up to Goosebay wasn’t very technical; there was just so much of it. The cool temps and some rain didn’t help. I can say I never met people more friendly than in Newfoundland. I’m very glad I have this trip in my memories.



Link to comment

Great story and photos. I have this area on my list of "want to do" rides. Looks like you guys had a great ride with a lot of memories.

Link to comment

Wow! Does that bring back memories for me. I have been to Goosebay many times when I was in the USAF. We would stage there for crew rest on our way from and to Europe. I suspect that many nations friendly with Canada have landing and transit rights to Goosebay International. I know for sure the Germans do!


I remember the northern lights at night. And eating blueberries that grow on the Tundra that were as big as the nail on my thumb. I always derived a sense of tranquility and inner peace when we stayed there. The only complaint I had was that the bar closed at 9:00 and that was the end of the party. I guess that is why I always felt so at peace! There was nothing else to do there so I would just get some extra shuteye.


Cheers! thumbsup.gif

Link to comment

This is Joan, George's wife. Your pictures and comments brought many fond memories to mind. Thanks for the post.

I taught with DODDS at Goosebay during the 1968/69 School Year. There were NO roads in or out! grin.gif There was a road to Happy VAlley-all washboard. We were able to see ChurchHill Falls looking down from a helicopter. All supplies for the USAF base were brought in by plane, including exchange and commissary items. I spent many nights outside enthralled by the Northern Lights. Yes, and ate the wild blueberries too. All students were bused in and from Nov.-May spent the entire school day inside because of the snow levels. Teachers were bused to and from the BOQ. I choose to stay later at school, and the walk home at 6 PM was not kind to my legs, mini skirts being the style! blush.gif The teachers would ocassionally go over to the Canadian side to mingle with the Brits and play curling. Ice fishing for smelt was fun, and when the Big Wigs flew in for fishing, we had feasts of salmon. As I said, many fond memories! Glad you successfully completed the ride and can also look back at fond memories.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...