IGNORED

Oil sight glass

LGannon

I noticed the last time I was checking the oil level a kind of "cloudy" mark on the sight glass, any ideas as to what causes this? and on another note I've been following some of the ABS related threads and on my RT when I start the engine I get a flashing ABS fault light (flashing) until I ride off the other warning light (the red triangle) only lights for a few seconds when I switch on the ignition, is this the correct sequence as? don't have an owners manual just the haynes workshop one, is there an online source for the "riders" manual? thanks in advance

I noticed the last time I was checking the oil level a kind of "cloudy" mark on the sight glass, any ideas as to what causes this? and on another note I've been following some of the ABS related threads and on my RT when I start the engine I get a flashing ABS fault light (flashing) until I ride off the other warning light (the red triangle) only lights for a few seconds when I switch on the ignition, is this the correct sequence as? don't have an owners manual just the haynes workshop one, is there an online source for the "riders" manual? thanks in advance

The normal start up sequence for the ABS lights on a R1150RT is for both to flash alternately until the servo initialises - you can hear the whine - then the Brake failure light flashes until you reach 3mph when the ABS gets good signals from the wheel sensors.

The sight glass is plastic and tends to go cloudy in time. They are cheap to buy and easily changed. With the oil drained, heat a nail and put a hole in the middle, then screw in a self-tapper and pull out the old glass. Clean the hole, and push the new glass in with a suitably sized socket.

Andy

I see Andy didn't explain to you that if you changed your oil at anal (3k or less) intervals and use synthetics, that you can save money on sight glasses as they tend to stay clearer longer wink.giflmao.gif

The sight glass is plastic and tends to go cloudy in time. They are cheap to buy and easily changed.

Not so cheap. I wanted to buy a spare to carry with me, but it was something like $ 23.00.

Charles Elms

I wanted to buy a spare to carry with me, but it was something like $ 23.00.

I think you could find a freeze plug of the correct size to use for a spare.

Considering the fact one would most likely never need to use it, that seems like a reasonable alternative for emergency use only. Wonder what size freeze plug to get?

It just might be a little too much moisture-an accumulation of water-in the oil.Get the engine warmed up,change oil and it should clear up.

Paul Mihalka

Considering the fact one would most likely never need to use it, that seems like a reasonable alternative for emergency use only. Wonder what size freeze plug to get?

My bike's sight glass blew out a half mile from home, but it was Sunday. Got home, got in the car, at a Pepboys got a 1.5" adjustable freeze plug, and got the bike home. now the plug stays on the bike with some other stuff.
Paul Mihalka
My bike's sight glass blew out a half mile from home

What causes that?

I don't know, no specific reason. The bike was high mileage. I just started from home and the engine was still almost cold. The way I noticed it, when shifting gear my boot slipped on the shift lever. Big mess. Installed a new glass and the problem did not return.

It's an expandable rubber plug. Has a washer on each side and a bolt through the middle. When the bolt is tightened the rubber core is squished out making it bigger, filling the whole it is in. Commonly available in the plumbing section of most hardware stores and such.

Used to be a convex, soft metal disk used in car engines in areas where coolant water could freeze. If the coolant water froze, the plug would blow out instead of the block cracking. I don't know if new engines have them or not. Certainly cars I used to work on 100 years ago in high school had them.

texastopper

they still have them. the black rubber plug they was talking about was a easy fix for a leaking or blown freeze plug

Archived