IGNORED

'98 RT vs. 2000 RT, Spline Issue

BlueRidgeBoy

I'm considering buying a very low mileage 2000 RT and selling my beloved '98 RT with 50k miles. My reasoning is that I love the bike and for a couple thousand bucks I can extend it's life by about four years (and get rid of a few cosmetic blemishes). My concern is the D#@* SPLINE ISSUE. I think (maybe foolishly) that my '98 is beyond the enfant mortality period and maybe I escaped the dreaded spline problem. Is a 2000 more prone to the problem than a 1998?

Also, a less important question, are the controls the same?

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Matt

The 2000 is exactly like the 1998. I think the spline issue started with the 1150 motors and 6-speed trannys.
No, the 1100s were involved as well although for some reason it seems to be the later-model 1100s that were most often affected.

But the 1998 and 2000 models are substantially identical and FWIW I'm not sure that one would be buying much in terms of reliability by going to a 2000 vs. a 1998 with only 50k miles (which is still a pretty low figure for these bikes.) Why swap a known quantity for an unknown one?

I'm considering buying a very low mileage 2000 RT and selling my beloved '98 RT with 50k miles. My reasoning is that I love the bike and for a couple thousand bucks I can extend it's life by about four years (and get rid of a few cosmetic blemishes). My concern is the D#@* SPLINE ISSUE. I think (maybe foolishly) that my '98 is beyond the enfant mortality period and maybe I escaped the dreaded spline problem. Is a 2000 more prone to the problem than a 1998?

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Matt

Matt, What are you gaining with the 2000 RT? To me, knowledge of a machines history and familiarity with one particular motorcycle is important.

The two RT's are so identical mechanically I'm wondering why you'd consider a deal like that unless the 2000 has near zero miles and has a very low price.

Mark and Seth, On one hand I agree with what you are saying. On the other hand the bike I'm looking at only has 316 miles (on ebay). I don't like the 1200RTs and buying a new 1100RT is very appealing.

Seth, When you say "later-model 1100RTs" does that mean 2001, 2002, ? What year did the 1150RT come out? Were there ever any 1100RTs with six speed gear boxes? Are they the ones with the spline issues?

I really appreciate everyone's comments!

I also am wondering why you want to trade bikes. You have a known quantity and yes the mileage on the new bike is low providing they haven't messed with the odometer but you will be taking a hit on selling your bike. For the difference in cost between the two bikes you can save the money and spend it on repairs of farkles. After all, the bikes are the same. Both are 1100's which have lost a lot of their value with the 1150's and now 1200's coming on the scene.

When you say "later-model 1100RTs" does that mean 2001, 2002, ? What year did the 1150RT come out? Were there ever any 1100RTs with six speed gear boxes? Are they the ones with the spline issues?
There unfortunately isn't a clear definition/demarcation as to which bikes are subject to spline (and/or final drive) failures, but from stats gathered on this forum they do seem to be clustered around the 1999-2001 model years for the 1100. All 1100s are 5-speed and all 1150s are six-speed, although I don't believe that has much to do with it as both models have been affected by spline failures. That said the failure rate isn't very high overall and I personally wouldn't fret too much over that single issue when looking at a bike, regardless of the model year.

If you can reduce your mileage from 50k to 316 for a very low dollar figure then it might be worth doing I suppose, but then again it isn't risk-free and some luck-of-the-draw factor will always be there. Realistically the odds of getting a lemon are probably rather low, the deal just depends on the dollars... i.e. would the cost to switch be more or less than maintenance going forward on your existing bike. Usually such a proposition doesn't work to be an advantage unless you can really get the new bike for a steal.

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Matt

If I had to place a bet, I would bet that a 50k trouble free bike would make it to 80k miles without incident before I'd bet a 300 mile bike makes it to 30k without incident.

If I had to place a bet, I would bet that a 50k trouble free bike would make it to 80k miles without incident before I'd bet a 300 mile bike makes it to 30k without incident.
That's an interesting way of phrasing it and I tend to agree.

Yep. A 2000 RT with only 300 miles seems suspicious to me in so many ways. Ebay scam? What's the story on that?

As for spline issues, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It seems like a crapshoot. A few rare bikes had the bad luck of being slightly misaligned.

That's an interesting way of phrasing it and I tend to agree.

Yup, especially a 7-year-old 300 mile bike. You wonder about all the parts that are designed to be lubricated and moving and haven't been.

Alien_Hitchhiker
...the bike I'm looking at only has 316 miles (on ebay).

Blue Ridge, I just have to echo what you've already heard.

316 miles on a 7 year old bike for sale on E-Bay:

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

blush.gif

Mark and Seth, On one hand I agree with what you are saying. On the other hand the bike I'm looking at only has 316 miles (on ebay). I don't like the 1200RTs and buying a new 1100RT is very appealing.

Seth, When you say "later-model 1100RTs" does that mean 2001, 2002, ? What year did the 1150RT come out? Were there ever any 1100RTs with six speed gear boxes? Are they the ones with the spline issues?

I really appreciate everyone's comments!

The others have said it quite well. The 1150, starting in 2002 model year, have six speed gearboxes and have no specific spline lube interval. The 1100s, as I have heard on this forum before, have a spline lube interval of 48K. That isn't to say that the 1150s will not have issues, or that the 1100s will have spline issues. That's not what I'm driving at. But, if I were to trade an 1100 for a newer bike, I'd go ahead and trade on up to an 1150 with a 6 speed gearbox and quite a few little ergonomic updates...the switchgear on the handlebar to be precise. The brakes on the 1150s are always a main point of contention, but I'm one of those freaks of nature that happen to like them. Nothing at all wrong with my bud's 1100RT though. I could be happy with it just as well.

As for the 1100 with only 300+ miles, caveat emptor.

The 1100s, as I have heard on this forum before, have a spline lube interval of 48K.
Neither the 1100 or 1150 had any spline lube service interval specified by BMW.

I would keep the '98 RT and put the money saved into the bike. Like that HES wiring harness that likes to turn to dust. Probably change out all the cables and the cable distribution box if they have never been changed. 50K miles isn't a lot of miles for these bikes. Hell, with the money you save, you could even get one of those fancy seats.

harleyjohn45
...the bike I'm looking at only has 316 miles (on ebay).

Blue Ridge, I just have to echo what you've already heard.

316 miles on a 7 year old bike for sale on E-Bay:

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

blush.gif

i bought my 2000 r1100 rt in november 2006 with only 2800 miles off ebay. it is just like a brand new bike. any time i can trade off 49000 miles for 2k on a bike i really like, then i will take the chance. i know the 1100 is not as desirable as the 1150, but i just happened to like the looks of the 1100. mine is red, i heard thats the fastest color.

john

Yep. A 2000 RT with only 300 miles seems suspicious to me in so many ways. Ebay scam? What's the story on that?

As for spline issues, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It seems like a crapshoot. A few rare bikes had the bad luck of being slightly misaligned.

The seller has "0" feedback. A VIN is provided and some nice pics but no explaination for the low miles. I'd be very very cautious. Research the vin and phone number or get references from the dealership where this was purchased. Scary stuff! eek.gif

i know the 1100 is not as desirable as the 1150
FWIW, that is the subject of some debate and many feel exactly the opposite.
harleyjohn45

oops: the guy has no feed back. in that case the only way i would buy that bike is to go pick it up and pay for it when i get there. i generally rely on seller feed back. i would have to see it and hear it, but it sure looks nice.

john

i know the 1100 is not as desirable as the 1150
FWIW, that is the subject of some debate and many feel exactly the opposite.

That's another thread for sure. You trying to start some trouble John!! smirk.gif Just kidding!

Everyone has their own reasons for buying the RT they chose. I also like the earlier ones and I bought mine sight unseen but not before doing some research. It worked out fine and I made a new friend in the process.

Slyder_Steve

Hmmm, can't argue that point. Wish I had paid more attention in stats...

I find it strange that there are no posted questions about the mileage on the ebay listing. Of course they may have answered questions and not posted them. Have you asked about the reason for such low mileage?

It is so low that I kind of doubt that fraud is involved in the mileage.

BlueRidgeBoy

Thanks for everyone's comments, especially Mark's tip about calling the dealer - that's a very good idea. I called the guy and his explanation seems reasonable - him and his business partner have garages full of bikes and recently took up flying and had a couple of children. Sounds like a case of more money than time.

The fact that he gives his telephone number explains why there are no q & a posted. I’m sure anyone with a question just picks up the ‘phone.

If I could wave a magic wand and make my bike new again that would be worth a couple thousand to me but it’s really not that simple. There’s the hassle of buying, selling, etc. etc.

Mostly though I just want to say that I appreciate everyone’s help.

Archived