IGNORED

Does GPS enhance or detract from safety?

Green RT

One other risky situation is the potential self-incrimination of having your max speed displayed on the page you view most of the time. I was sure glad mine wasn't displayed when I got to have a little chat with a Jackson County revenue collector, er, sheriff's deputy last summer. grin.gif

To all the GPS manufacturers..::

This is a feature that while informative in it's own way, should be able to be disabled easily...5th amendment and all that.... thumbsup.gif

Not too sure that you can disable it even on the new GPS models...I know I cannot on my old Streetpilot III.

I think Garmin already heard you... the recent software update for the Zumo took the max speed display and moved it down one screen and off the default screen so that even though its still there (you can't disable it) , its not as obvious!

My max speed says 545mph - from an Airbus over Spain. Before that it had 178mph - from a glitch. The max speed only says the unit went that fast once upon a time, not when, so it cannot constitute evidence about your speed. Even if is shows a reasonable speed - say 110mph, what is to say that the unit is not showing a 'glitch' speed, or that you did that on the back straight during a track day.

It is only evidence if you admit that the speed relates to the journey you are on.

Andy

Joe Frickin' Friday
Even if is shows a reasonable speed - say 110mph...

I think the word you are looking for here is not "reasonable," but "plausible." crazy.gif

Paul Mihalka
Even if is shows a reasonable speed - say 110mph...

I think the word you are looking for here is not "reasonable," but "plausible." crazy.gif

110mph and more is perfectly reasonable, legal and common on many German Autobahns thumbsup.gif

Some interesting replies to this point . . . and the good and bad experiences echo my own. I have to admit that there were two periods in my GPS life when I think I spent too much time fiddling with the GPS and not enough time paying attention to the road: First, during the first couple of weeks when I started using my 2610 and found myself mesmerized by its magic, and, second, when my 2610 started to malfunction occasionally and I found myself mesmerized by its lack of magic.

However, for the most part, I find it enhances my safety. I keep it on most all the time, even when I don't have any particular destination in mind. In that mode, I'll glance at it occasionally to check my speed or see if there are any interesting roads nearby. However, when I'm using it to route to a destination in an unfamiliar area, it is most definitely a safety enhancer. Rather than trying to decipher a map or watch for street signs while keeping an eye on traffic, I can just listen for Garminda's calm and self-assured voice, telling me what to do. It's a huge assist in situations like that.

Garminda's calm and self-assured voice...

Maybe I should upgrade... the strident voice in my SP-III is a real life "bitchin' betty." wink.gifgrin.gif

Seriously, I was sold on GPS the day I ran a route through the LA freeway maze. It warned me of lane changes for upcoming ramps and freeway intersections, and made it so much easier to pay attention to traffic and not worry about reading the signs - which all too frequently are obscured by an 18 wheeler until its too late to make the off ramp or lane change. From that experience, I have to say GPS is a big plus thumbsup.gif in the safety category.

I am not replying to any post in particular here, rather I am summing up what I have got from this thread. The message that comes across to me, both from the posts and my own personal experience, is that using the GPS as a visual aid can be distracting (especially when new) and therefore detrimental to safety. Using voice-prompts however, allows you to pay more attention to traffic in unfamiliar surroundings and so represents a safety aid.

Perhaps what is needed is a 'GPS Safe' course grin.gif

Andy

I concur with Boffin's summary and frankly, prior to ShovelStrokeEd's post I didn't know these things talked. In hind sight I see that David's post also attributed vocalization to GPS device.

In a perfect world, I'd now be receptive to this device: in this imperfect world, I'll wait 'til I get one as a gift. And if I do, I hope it's voice is much like Lear's youngest daughter, "ever soft, gentle and low, an excellent thing in woman".

Wooster waiting for Christmas

Not to squirt kerosene on this fire, but....

I've turned off the voice prompts as they are extremely annoying and distracting.

I prefer to scan the display when it's safe to do so at a time of my choosing…..rather than being distracted by the device at a time of its choosing.

Re Voice prompts...

That is unless and until some sick hacker finds a way to change the voice files eek.gif

Couldn't you just imagine the possibilities...... lmao.giflmao.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Hmmmm, miss a turn and have it go into nag mode?

"I told you we should have turned back there, now we're going to be late for the party!"

"Hey Dumba$$!!! That was your turn. I warned you at 2 miles, I warned you again at 500 feet and do you listen? Noooooooo! Well, I'm going to be quiet for the next 100 miles and you can figure it out for yourself! Hmmmph!"

I've wondered about this but for me it boils down to: Is glancing at the GPS less distracting than glancing at the paper road map on my tank bag?

I like to avoid the slab and usually trace the route with yellow highlighter on the state map. This works OK for major non-slab highways but not so well for the little no-name grey lines that are often the most interesting roads. Takes a lot longer look to figure out the road eventually goes to Smithville so that Smithville road I just passed is probably the one I want.

A quick glance at the GPS which is already displaying just the info you need, not a quarter of the state, or even better, a voice prompt, seems like a lot shorter distraction.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it but for now its only a story as I just ordered my first GPS, a Garmin 2720, from Amazon. ($400 after rebate!)

Seemis like getting the GPS up high above the speedo & tach would be good for my sight line but hard to physically accomplish. Any mounting suggestions for an 1100RT? I've seen the tubular gadget but that is too expensive (and I have to say ugly as well).

TIA for any mounting ideas.

bakerzdosen
Re Voice prompts...

That is unless and until some sick hacker finds a way to change the voice files eek.gif

Couldn't you just imagine the possibilities...... lmao.giflmao.gif

You've obviously never had a Tomtom GPS. Some of the voice files I've found for them:

R2D2

Eddie Izzard (listen to a few of them)

Ahnold

Austin Powers

Sean Connery

Yoda

Homer Simpson

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Elvis

Robert Deniro

Mr. T

• 3 weeks later...
I've wondered about this but for me it boils down to: Is glancing at the GPS less distracting than glancing at the paper road map on my tank bag?
Have both and concluded it's a wash - glancing at either and taking your eyes and concentration off the business at hand, however brief, is what could mess up an otherwise glorious ride.

I use what's easiest for the purpose - tank map case or Garmin - and only look when I'm stopped. When the Garmin is talking, in it's lovely British accent (my kids call it Lola, from the movie RV), I sometimes have fun and swear back, letting it know in no uncertain terms that I've changed my mind and am taking a different route. At which point, Lola replies in a lovely, clipped British accent - "off route, recalculating."

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

...in most cases. With less than perect vision, the real value for me is not having to struggle to read poorly lit street signs in unfamiliar territory at night. With my GPS mounted line of sight, it is much easier, and quicker, to identify an upcoming street or intersection which allows me to place more of my focus on the road in front of me. Oh, and seeing those curves coming up is not such a bad thing either.

Archived