IGNORED

Motorcycle Security ??

Kroref

I'm interested in tapping the collective wisdom here on your experiences/opinions of keeping your bike secure when you can't keep her in sight most of the day?

Use the steering lock, disc lock or chain it to a stationary object if possible, an alarm if you have one, and definitely a bike cover-out of sight out of mind.

I don't take any extra precautions for my RT. I occasionally lock the steering and that's about it. I just don't worry about it. Went a whole weekend in Torrrey last year and don't think I ever removed the key from the ignition! thumbsup.gif

_________________I just don't worry about it.___________

Wish I could! (Once upon a time I had built a beautiful 1946 Harley) you already know the ending to this story, it's a tear jerker frown.gif

"disc lock or chain it to a stationary object if possible, an alarm if you have one,"

Any manufacture recommendations on disc locks and or Alarms?

ShovelStrokeEd

In 50 or so years of bike ownership, I have never bothered with anything much beyond locking the forks. Do park in well lit, high traffic areas. Not much market for BMW's on the hot parts area. There have been 3 cars stolen from my apartment parking lot in the last 5 years, one right next to my bike.

Pulling away from a hotel in Richland, WA on my custom painted K1200RS with the disc lock still in place cured me of ever using those things again.

I don't think that a BMW is the bike thief's motorcycle of choice. I would put 3 padlocks on my Harley (if I owned one.) I have parked my bikes in every state (except Hawaii) and never had a problem. I do, however, remove the rapidly-stealable stuff such as a GPS or tankbag.

I don't do anything. Nobody (well hardly nobody) steals BMW bikes. And if the do get mine, that's what the insurance is for, I'd like an '07 anyway!

I use an Albus cable lock thru a wheel to deter rolling the bike away.

Steering head/ fork lock would work too, but this is more substantial.

Plus I can use it to lock jackets, etc... when parked and walking around if my bags are loaded.

As the other have said, I don't worry too much about my bike being stolen. More worried about someone trying to take something off of it, GPS, Tank Bag, etc. I lock these items in the top case when I will be out of sight of the bike and for overnight. I did install an auto alarm that I use when I park overnight in a motel. Just don't go to a motel that Harley's or other bikes with loud pipes stay. If they come in late and ride by the bike it will set off the alarm.

Last year I had a couple of young guys pull up next to me in a motel and ask a lot of questions about the bike. I got an uneasy feeling with them. So, before they left I set the alarm with the remote. When they heard the two beeps that lets you know it is set, they asked what that was. I told them the bike was set up with an alarm. They seemed to lose all interest and left. I slept better that night than if I would not have had the alarm.

Generally-I lock the forks, grab any loose 'stuff' that may be of value off of the bike, and don't worry about it beyond that. I do bring in the bags at night, if it is a multi-day trip. Other than those minimal precautions, I pay insurance so I will get a new bike if mine is stolen.

I do try to park in well-lit high-traffic areas, whenever possible. But, that is about it as far as precautions.

Mine came with a alarm but I don't use it as a rule. Just as the others take off the tank bag and gps and lock the front forks. However, when I ride out to Texas at the end of the month I will take the remote for the alarm. Keeps the honest, honest. thumbsup.gif

I am more concerned about someone tipping it over than stealing it.

I do have a cable and lock which is more for show, I put it on and leave it VERY visible.

I also have a fine 1/8" cable that rolls up under the pillion seat and is attached to the frame.

I put it through helmet, sleeve on stich etc and put a small lock on it, again very visible.

Never had anybody bother anything.

Thanks to all for your input. Im glad to see theft is not a major problem for the BMW community. Reason for the concern was that I'm to attend a conference in SC next week and found out the conference center is located within a "gated community" that will not allow motorcycles on the property. I will have to leave the bike parked out by the main gate for a couple of days. The "at your own risk" clause is what planted that seed of doubt.

Thanks again for the input.

Reason for the concern was that I'm to attend a conference in SC next week and found out the conference center is located within a "gated community" that will not allow motorcycles on the property. I will have to leave the bike parked out by the main gate for a couple of days. The "at your own risk" clause is what planted that seed of doubt.

I would be checking with them when you get there. I had the same situation once and I asked the manager to come out and see and HEAR the bike.

He couldn't get over how quiet it was, "Well the rule is mostly for those loud cruisers." was his comment and he issued me a parking pass!

thumbsup.gif

Thanks to all for your input. Im glad to see theft is not a major problem for the BMW community. Reason for the concern was that I'm to attend a conference in SC next week and found out the conference center is located within a "gated community" that will not allow motorcycles on the property. I will have to leave the bike parked out by the main gate for a couple of days. The "at your own risk" clause is what planted that seed of doubt.

Might consider a bike cover. Out of sight, out of mind maybe.

I have the factory alarm (R12RT) and I programmed it to arm itself automatically. I didn't like having to arm/disarm it with the remote and the auto mode works seemlessly with the ignition key.

It actually went off one day at work because someone was sitting on it! Worth the $350 in my mind. thumbsup.gif

Reason for the concern was that I'm to attend a conference in SC next week and found out the conference center is located within a "gated community" that will not allow motorcycles on the property. I will have to leave the bike parked out by the main gate for a couple of days. The "at your own risk" clause is what planted that seed of doubt.

I would be checking with them when you get there. I had the same situation once and I asked the manager to come out and see and HEAR the bike.

He couldn't get over how quiet it was, "Well the rule is mostly for those loud cruisers." was his comment and he issued me a parking pass!

thumbsup.gif

+1

Also ask for a written copy of their policy statement about motorcycles, and their attorney's contact information.

Inquire as to what option they provide, name and contact information for their insurance company.

And, contact information for the head honco MFIC.

Sometimes some direct, polite, inquiry can resolve an issue beforehand.

Is this a noise issue, or a social one?

Ask them what they do if the police, EMT's respond on a motorcycle and tell them you are riding a similar vehicle.

Talk to the people who scheduled the conference. See if they support you and would OK telling the place that this is disappointing and they won't reschedule unless they OK your vehicle, which may be quieter than some of the cars/trucks that attend.

Good luck.

thumbsup.gif

+1

Also ask for a written copy of their policy statement about motorcycles, and their attorney's contact information.

Inquire as to what option they provide, name and contact information for their insurance company.

And, contact information for the head honco MFIC.

Sometimes some direct, polite, inquiry can resolve an issue beforehand.

Is this a noise issue, or a social one?

Ask them what they do if the police, EMT's respond on a motorcycle and tell them you are riding a similar vehicle.

Talk to the people who scheduled the conference. See if they support you and would OK telling the place that this is disappointing and they won't reschedule unless they OK your vehicle, which may be quieter than some of the cars/trucks that attend.

Good luck.

Outstanding recommendation !! I will definitely persue that avenue of inquiry..... thumbsup.gif

Archived