IGNORED

BIG PROBLUM R1200 spark plugs

Dave_zoom_zoom

Dave_zoom_zoom

I just purchased plugs for one of my cars. AC Delco $2.39 CDN ea.

Then I went to purchase 4 plugs for the R1200RT $18.00CDN ea. WOW!!! blush.gif

Now I know these are Bosh (YR5LDE Germany 586) and they are a two electrode plug. So charge me 50% more or even 200% more, but 760% more???

Can someone please tell me of a better source?

A CDN source would be great, but any source?

$18.00 is approx. $15.80 US.

THANK YOU!!!!

c

The maintenance schedule states that all the spark plugs are changed at 40000km.

Therefore, at the full price of $72.00 for four, that works out at 0.18 cents per km.

Personally, I would shop around for a better deal but put into perspective it really isn't a big deal - IMHO.

As someone else often says;"Don't sweat the small stuff."

KiwiAdventure
The maintenance schedule states that all the spark plugs are changed at 40000km.

Therefore, at the full price of $72.00 for four, that works out at 0.18 cents per km.

Personally, I would shop around for a better deal but put into perspective it really isn't a big deal - IMHO.

I make it .0018 cents

Dave_zoom_zoom

John, I ride all winter. Temp's. may be -15C (+5F).

Cooler eng. temp's. result in more deposits in the combustion chamber.

I'm happy to get 20,000 KM on a set of plugs.

This is hands down the best bike I've ever ridden!

I love it! But I'm not to keen on $72.00 for plugs once or twice a yr.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!

Cooler eng. temp's. result in more deposits in the combustion chamber.

I'm happy to get 20,000 KM on a set of plugs.

Fair enough!! The coldest I get to ride in is about -3C, and then only a couple of times a year.

The best bike? You betcha!! clap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Me no understand why this should be a problem other than the exorbitant prices charged by the dealer. A bike with EFI and a modern ignition system should be good for 30K miles or more out of a set of spark plugs. They don't foul anymore, there are no lead deposits to build up, only thing that happens is the gap tends to increase as the electrodes erode. A bigger gap, if the ignition is healthy, will result in a better spark, not worse. Old tuner trick, increase plug gap to gain HP.

The BMW does not produce anything like severe chamber pressures, even under full throttle (the compression ratio just isn't that high nor is the specific output of the motor). I didn't change the plugs on my 1100S till 36K miles, I still have the original plugs in my Blackbird at 39K miles, the GS was 48K miles before I changed only the bottom set. All with the factory plugs, btw, no whiz-bang special aftermarket plugs.

Now, I will say that all of those motors were properly worn in, at least according to my lights and none of them ever spent much time below 4K RPM on a sustained basis and all were/are subjected to regular sustained high load so my plugs tend to stay pretty clean. As always YMMV.

Me either... Also, the latest and greatest plugs for the hexheads is the NGK DCPR8EKC. Chicago BMW sells them for $10.36. Haven't been able to find another source on-line though. All the parts houses link their searches to the vehicle and hexheads aren't listed yet.

Ed and Scott

I did not change my plugs until they had 18K miles on them. The mechanic adjusting my valves at 12K said they looked great so why change them. Right? I guess I changed them at 18K because I felt guilty. So the plan is to see what they look like at 36K miles. I found my NGK plugs by googling NGK and the part number. It took me to Ebay where I bought the NGK plugs. It was all quite easy to order them and 3-4 days later they were delivered.

The last time my bike was in for a dealer service (two services ago) my tech told me that BMW has extended the plug change to 24K miles for all oilheads. Fine by me thumbsup.gif

Andy

I make it .0018 cents

You mean $.0018 dollars..

see dollars vs. cents

I will probably get hammered for saying this but...

My small pickup had 225k miles before I changed them, My current econo car has 94k (no change yet), our family minivan has 40k (no change yet).

If they look ok, and no change in milage, I'm good!! Just my .02, I realize I'm probably way in the minority!! cool.gif

Archived