IGNORED

Does All The Oil Come Out?

skyking44

When changing oil on my R1200Rt, I ride the bike to warm up the engine until I feel heat at the oil cooler. That lets me know the engine oil is circulating. I put the bike on the center stand, drain the oil, and remove the oil filter. Let it drain for about fifteen minutes and then replace the filter and drain plug. My questions are: 1. Does the oil drain out of the oil cooler? 2. Does it drain out before and after the oil thermostat closes? 3. Is it better to drain the oil with the bike on the side stand or center stand?

Appreciate your input.

Chuck Hatcher
1. Does the oil drain out of the oil cooler? 2. Does it drain out before and after the oil thermostat closes? 3. Is it better to drain the oil with the bike on the side stand or center stand?

Judging by what happens to the sight glass level after parking, I think putting the bike on the side stand for a few minutes helps get the oil back to the crankcase. Of course you're never going to get every drop.

I did not know that the RT had an oil thermostat. I wonder if it should be changed every few years like the thermostats in cars should be.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Oil thermostat failures on oilheads are exceedingly rare.

After warming the oil, I've always put the R bikes on side stands for 5 minutes prior to puting on center stand for the oil draining. Maybe just superstition on my part. Also, I think most people warm the oil by riding (rather than just idling on the center stand) so in that scenario you have to put the bike on the side stand for at least a few seconds.

Archived