IGNORED

R1150RT @ 50K

adkbeemer

My 02 R1150RT reached just over 50K at the end of last season and I'm getting ready for the usual late winter maintenance session.

Other than the usual suspects, such as oil change, tranny and rear drive fluid change, valves and TB sync, replace fuel filter - I'm going to also change both tires, replace front brake pads and inspect/clean calipers, inspect rear brake and clean caliper and do the wheel circut bleed. I usually do a good cleaning and overall inspection, as well as retorque of critical fasteners.

Shocks were replaced at 42K...Alt belt at around 36K.

The rotor thread has me thinking of checking the rotor wear as well.

Anything else you would reccomend checking on this bike with this "low" mileage? Thanks! clap.gif

Just a couple of things....

Throttle body cleaning and check for wear.

"Hand" throttle assembly on bar,lube and adjust if necessary.

I did the throttle cables on mine at 36K and was surprised at the difference between the old and new.

Put the old ones in the saddle bag for emergency.

Pivot bearings most likely need lube/adjustment if not replacement.

Air filter replacement and air box cleaning.

Battery fluid level check if not a replacement of old battery.

Sidestand and centerstand lube.

//quote// Shocks were replaced at 42K... //end quote//

Small slight hijack. What shocks did you choose as your replacements? My bike is due now.

End hijack. TFYP

Hey, thought about going with a synthetic oil?? lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

It's been at least 25 minutes since we started an oil thread... lmao.giflmao.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist wave.gif

All the best,

Steve

Do you have a detailed reference for this? I guess if your recommending this to someone with 50k, I should do it at 93k, right?

grin.gif

Do you have a detailed reference for this? I guess if your recommending this to someone with 50k, I should do it at 93k, right?

grin.gif

Well, I replaced O-rings and cleaned throttle body at 80,000 on my 04' and the TBS became soooooooo much easier that I'll probley do it sooner that 160,000 miles

Thanks for the responses!

BMWRich58, good suggestions. Air filter is one I left off the list, but always do. Pivot bearings are worth a look. No freeplay evident at 42K, but last adjust to spec was probably around 24K or so - I did the cables around that point too, wow I thought I was getting Popeye arms!

New battery last year. TB's were cleaned and checked at 42K. Sidestand is getting kludged up so thats a good one...

As to the shock question, Ohlins. I really like the firmer ride and they seem to offer more precise handling then the stockers new. That with the Z-6's seem to work well for my riding style.

If ya got some other suggestions, let em fly! smile.gif

Take a look at the old brake pads before you buy the new ones. They last a long time, and they're $$$.

Thanks Jim, I'm going to be cleaning up the front calipers before doing the pad replace and circut bleed, so I'll really be able to take a good look. They are $$$$$$!

PS - I know brake threads are a dime a dozen, but any suggestion on good replacements for the RT? I'll search as well...

Well, I replaced O-rings and cleaned throttle body at 80,000 on my 04' and the TBS became soooooooo much easier that I'll probley do it sooner that 160,000 miles

O.K., I replaced the O Rings (and brass screws since I couldn't get them separately), but how do you clean the TBs?

Tks

O.K., I replaced the O Rings (and brass screws since I couldn't get them separately), but how do you clean the TBs?

Tks

For example....

While removed from cylinder heads spray carb cleaner in all the holes. Take out Brass Screw and clean that hole also.

Look down the throat of the throttle housing and make sure the butterflys aren't loose/crooked from wear. That they operate smoothly. Yes O Rings do and will wearout,crack leak air.

Visual checks go a long way!

Archived