IGNORED

need new battery install pointers

SpaceKing

Could someone direct me to or briefly explain the process to installing a new battery on my 1100RT? I am going with the Oddysey 680, and thought I would save myself some time by getting some pointers on Motronic reset and on how to remove the tank tupperwear(sides are off)and anything else I should know. Thanks in advance,

cheers

beno

Olla Space King,

I've an excellent r1100rt and can attest to the fact that no top tupperware need go; removing the left side tupperware is all that's required. Then, you unscrew the most immediate battery terminal and pull the battery part way out of its slot/home. There's a visable strap which you pull to do this. Then, unscrew/remove the other battery terminal and completely remove old battery. For most replacement batteries, the process is merely the reverse. Yet with the highly touted Odyssey other members (I've never done this) slide battery in its slot/home on its side with both terminals facing left/out.

As for resetting motronic, I've heard members say something about removing then returning fuse #5 yet as you've interrupted electricity by swapping batteries, I don't think any fuse removal is needed; just go.

Wooster w/panasonic battery, conversant w/Dr of Space

Oh yah, I superstitiously twist throttle (key on, motor off) once or twice after battery replacement. Why, I'm not sure but I saw a mechanic do this and now so do I.

Oh yah, I superstitiously twist throttle (key on, motor off) once or twice after battery replacement. Why, I'm not sure but I saw a mechanic do this and now so do I.

This procedure applies to the R1150xx series only.

There is no Motronic reset (and that's not what that procedure is for on the 1150's either) on the 1100s. Other than disconnecting the battery, which obviously in a battery replacement is done by default.

I just finished installing the subject battery on my 99 R1100RT-P in the primary position.

I made a a 90 degree ell adapter for the negative terminal so the ground wires would reach. I have heard that A&S cycle sells a copper one but I just made do with a homemade piece. I pitched the button head allen screws and used hex bolts with a nut under the head. I thought this would make it easier to check tightness later on and gives a good post like protrusion for fixing clamps to the terminals should the need arise.

I'm impressed with the Oddyssey battery so far and hope that it continues to keep the nuisance abs alarms at bay for quite some time.

Regards, RTFink

Vancouver, USA

If the '98 is the same as the 2000, you will also need to remove the air intake snorkel, you'll see one hex bolt that needs to be removed and it will slide up out of the airbox (take the airfilter cover off).

If the '98 is the same as the 2000, you will also need to remove the air intake snorkel, you'll see one hex bolt that needs to be removed and it will slide up out of the airbox (take the airfilter cover off).

Do I need to remove any tupperwear to do this? (beside the left side, as Wooster says)
Do I need to remove any tupperwear to do this? (beside the left side, as Wooster says)
No. After you remove the left side the battery will slide out to the left.
Ken H....what is the proper reset procedure for an 1150?

Thanks...Pat

The R1100RT and and R1150RT are the same. To summarize: Remover the seat, the left mirror and left "tupperware" / side faring only. Unhook the rubber strap holding the battery in place. From the under seat area slide the battery out to the left until you can get to the left post to disconnect the lead. Now slide it out the rest of the way and disconnect the other lead.

Reverse to install the new one.

Eckhard Grohe

On my 98 RT, I disconnect the air temp sensor, pop open the air filter cover and then I slide the snorkel to the back and remove it. No bolt to remove.

On my 98 RT, I disconnect the air temp sensor, pop open the air filter cover and then I slide the snorkel to the back and remove it. No bolt to remove.
Oh yeah, good point! I forgot about the snorkel. Ben - Do that part too!

Archived