IGNORED

Ordering new RT...question...

1analguy

clap.gifI'll be ordering a new RT in the next couple of days clap.gif and was wondering how much $ are they going to ask for to order the bike? Just trying to avoid any nasty surprises...
clap.gifI'll be ordering a new RT in the next couple of days clap.gif and was wondering how much $ are they going to ask for to order the bike? Just trying to avoid any nasty surprises...

You asking about a down payment for the bike? I've ordered two bikes from my local dealer and getting ready for the third and didn't have to put any money down. Their not Hardly's!

Can't say if Canadain's are different though. Seem to be plenty of RT's around so shouldn't be an issue of holding a bike for you.

You'll love it however you get it!

Probably varies by dealers. For my 07 RT I put down $500 as my deposit. In Maryland I understand that this deposit is fully refundable to the buyer, if one should change one's mind. Keep us posted on the price you negotiate. Be aware that some dealers mark-up additional shipping/set-up fees, even though the official invoice states that this fee is included in MSRP.

I put down $500 upon signing the contract, and a further $500 before the bike arrived (all was spelled out in the contract, of course).

I am thinking about ordering an '07 RT in the next week or two also.

Are you planning on getting one with stability control? Has anyone seen the stability control in action, or have a link to a detailed review or evaluation?

As far as actual price goes, when I was shopping 4 wks ago I called BMW of Daytona Beach (they seem to be rather agressive) and got a quote from them--I asked him to fax me the Vin # and bike that he said he had and he did. I then got a quote from a dealer much closer to where I lived on a bike in stock (initial quote was MSRP of course plus set up etc) but when I showed him the quote from Daytona, he immediately matched it--didn't even bat an eye. I got a brand new 07 R1200RT with cruise, heated seats & grips, acces. socket, white turn indicators, for $17,500 out the door but I paid my own taxes as it was in another state. I found that even the most vociferous MSRP sellers immediately caved when confronted by ANY competitive offer. And THEN--the guy in Daytona started calling me wanting to ship me the bike at $300 less than my close-in offer at no extra cost. No dealer will give you a deal if they have no incentive (i.e. competition) and if you want a deal you have to dig up the competition and present it. It works! Ain't capitalism great?

This is one reason I'm not riding an RT now...The closest dealer has not been responsive/competitive and I know there are better deals to be had up the road. My Question is, If I can't get a deal locally for purchase, how responsive is this dealer going to be when I bring in a RT purchased from another dealer for them to service. The alternative is a 400 mi round trip to the dealer.

Thanks, Rick

Rick: dealers are independent business people. as such, they get to make their own policies about which bikes they will service and what order they will take them. unfortunately, like many of us, there must not be several dealers close to you, so you are at the mercy of your local dealer. as this is an important issue, i would talk to the owner (not the manager) of the local dealership to get his position on the issue. then at least you will have another factor to consider in your purchase decision. he may say, no problem, because he makes money from servicing your bike, or he may be a shortsighed ___(insert adjective).

good luck.

tom collins

This is one reason I'm not riding an RT now...The closest dealer has not been responsive/competitive and I know there are better deals to be had up the road. My Question is, If I can't get a deal locally for purchase, how responsive is this dealer going to be when I bring in a RT purchased from another dealer for them to service. The alternative is a 400 mi round trip to the dealer.

Thanks, Rick

If you take this mindset, then the sales rep that told you that BS has won, hasn't he? That is exactly what the salesman at my local dealer told me before I bought elsewhere. And now that I'm ready for the 600 mile service, the local service dept. is welcoming me! SALES and SERVICE are 2 different profit centers at a dealer. No matter what SALES tells you, SERVICE isn't gonna shoot themselves in the foot by refusing to service! I've talked to a lot of people about this issue, heard a lot of "threats", but in the end the SERVICE guys will do what they want--i.e. sell service to make $$$$. The threats are all mostly bluff and blunder from the SALES side--unless you're dealing with a real ego-maniac owner--and those guys don't last very long if there's ANY competition within 100 miles.

Rick: dealers are independent business people. as such, they get to make their own policies about which bikes they will service and what order they will take them.

I think BMW NA would be VERY interested in learning of dealerships that red-line the servicing of BMWs not bought at the dealership. In fact, if anyone out there can verify this practice at a dealership, please post it on this board as it is quite likely someone in NJ is monitoring this board.

Rick: dealers are independent business people. as such, they get to make their own policies about which bikes they will service and what order they will take them.

I think BMW NA would be VERY interested in learning of dealerships that red-line the servicing of BMWs not bought at the dealership. In fact, if anyone out there can verify this practice at a dealership, please post it on this board as it is quite likely someone in NJ is monitoring this board.

++ on that--you won't get any takers because it just ain't happening. What IS happening is dealers are all (most of them) in lock-step, proclaiming they only sell at MSRP, to attempt to keep you from shopping others. The scarcity of other BMW dealers helps this scenario along. "What would be the point" you would say, "if they all sell at MSRP?" One sales rep actually got angry with me when I asked for a "quote" and refused to give me one...then called back later and made an offer when he got my mass e-mailing soliciting quotes. Anyone today who doesn't use the internet and e-mails to shop for something that costs this much money is short changing themselves out of big $$$$. You can talk all you want about being "loyal" to your local guy, etc.--but unless my "local guy" is competitive with others, he won't get my business just for being "local". BMW dealers have created a (mis)perception in the market that they are all in league together on pricing, and shopping competitively is somehow "sacriligious" to the BMW mystique. Hmmm....sounds vaguely familiar....kinda like a big-iron bar & shield company I once knew of. Anyway, thats my $.02!

If you take this mindset, then the sales rep that told you that BS has won, hasn't he? That is exactly what the salesman at my local dealer told me before I bought elsewhere. And now that I'm ready for the 600 mile service, the local service dept. is welcoming me! SALES and SERVICE are 2 different profit centers at a dealer. No matter what SALES tells you, SERVICE isn't gonna shoot themselves in the foot by refusing to service! I've talked to a lot of people about this issue, heard a lot of "threats", but in the end the SERVICE guys will do what they want--i.e. sell service to make $$$$. The threats are all mostly bluff and blunder from the SALES side--unless you're dealing with a real ego-maniac owner--and those guys don't last very long if there's ANY competition within 100 miles.

+1

Regardless of where the bike is purchased, when you make your first service appointment with your local shop simply let 'em know you have no experience with them and you're looking to find a reliable shop you can trust. They don't need to know if they are 50 miles closer or 10 miles farther from the competition.

My local BMW dealership HATES to lose business to the near by Denver dealers and was quick to match their prices. I shopped Denver first, then came in with an offer to them. When I talked to the local sales guy months earlier he gave me the standard "We get list for every bike".

The local shop also does great service but they charge a fortune so my 6K service was performed at a local independent BMW shop and saved me almost $200... Which I'll probably apply to a pair of Santiago pants!clap.gif

In contrast, I purchased my Toyota van in Denver 'cuz the local dealer wouldn't deal (saved over $2K by going to Denver). The first time my wife took the van into the local shop the service manager called the dealership owner to speak with my wife and understand why they lost the sale.

Good luck on your purchase!thumbsup.gif

Greg

Bob,

I don't disagree that competition is good, and that there is competition in this country, but, at least for some of us, it isn't quite so easy to take full advantage of it. There are variables, one of which is sales tax. Some states have none, and some have quite a bit. An out of state purchase can either force one to pay the tax, or make arrangements to have the bike shipped into the non-tax state (Oregon, to be specific), if the selling state will so permit. Also, some areas are much more remote from the dealers who deeply discount.

I just ordered a new R12RT. I did check with the closer dealers. ALL are sticking to the MSRP. My choice is to travel many extra miles out of state, and then either pay the piper for the tax, or have the bike transported to Oregon. It does become a hassle, and, as I become older, the difficulty quotient becomes more important.

Bottom line, I chose to buy from our really quite good, and small, local dealer at MSRP rather than fighting all the variables to do the out-of-state dodge-the-tax thing. I have done so with RVs, and it can be a hassle.

I, personally, think it is much easier to deal locally, and to have the local dealer solidly in my camp should there be any "issues."

There often, perhaps usually, is a bit of a trade off for the "good deal." At my stage in life, I chose to do it the easy way.

To each our own.

Gary

Gary, I agree with everything you said. The scarcity of dealers does play in their favor when you're in a less populated area, and the hassle of shopping from great distance just isn't worth the trouble. I was able to save about $1500 under msrp without too much hassle--I had to drive 250 miles to pick up the bike and rode it 250 miles back home. Did it all in one day, no problem. It was worth it to me. If i had to go 500 miles, it would have been a little different.

But my main point was, I keep seeing people on the forum concerned about doing this and having a dealer snub him because he bought elsewhere. There is just no logic here. What if you moved from Chicago to Atlanta and took your bike in for service in your new city--is the dealer going to penalize you for not buying locally? Is he even going to ASK where you bought it? If you CAN save by shopping around, then go do it and quit whining because you're afraid the "local guy won't service my bike". It just ain't gonna happen. Sure, he may give local customers a break when scheduling service work, maybe a free loaner bike, etc. Good for them. I'd rather have my $1500 than a free loaner...lots of farkles for $1500 thumbsup.gif

KiwiAdventure
Gary, I agree with everything you said. The scarcity of dealers does play in their favor when you're in a less populated area, and the hassle of shopping from great distance just isn't worth the trouble. I was able to save about $1500 under msrp without too much hassle--I had to drive 250 miles to pick up the bike and rode it 250 miles back home. Did it all in one day, no problem. It was worth it to me. If i had to go 500 miles, it would have been a little different.

But my main point was, I keep seeing people on the forum concerned about doing this and having a dealer snub him because he bought elsewhere. There is just no logic here. What if you moved from Chicago to Atlanta and took your bike in for service in your new city--is the dealer going to penalize you for not buying locally? Is he even going to ASK where you bought it? If you CAN save by shopping around, then go do it and quit whining because you're afraid the "local guy won't service my bike". It just ain't gonna happen. Sure, he may give local customers a break when scheduling service work, maybe a free loaner bike, etc. Good for them. I'd rather have my $1500 than a free loaner...lots of farkles for $1500 thumbsup.gif

I agree.

Bob and Kiwi,

I do agree with all you say. Neither would I worry about being snubbed by the dealer. Problem is, in my case, and I am sure in the case of others, it WAS the over-500-mile thing, and there WAS (perhaps more importantly) the sales tax issue. With the sales tax issue, many of the states are closing the loop hole of out-of-state deliveries. We are now wintering Arizona. I get different stories. Some say absolutely not, and some say they can deliver out of state with nothing more than a pic at the entrance of the new state. The latter sounds shakey at best. It could produce unwanted "tails" (or "tales") on down the road.

I was merely highlighting the fact that there is much more to consider than just bare cost. I have never had objections to saving a buck. That may be why, at my somewhat extended age, and a fixed retirement, I am buying a new RT, and not a used X-bike.

No matter how it ends up in my garage, I will do my best to enjoy it, and not look back...too much.

Gary

This has been positive conversation. I am generally always open to new ideas and to learn from those more experienced than I. In this case, It just put me back on the right track. If I was buying a new truck, I would not hesitate to bypass the local dealer, and why should a BMW be any differernt? I guess its my age that promotes loyality to the the local dealer. In reality, my local Harley shop, where I purchased the bike, doesn't know who I am. I thank y'all for the benefit of you wisdom. I will give the local guy another look along with some other alternatives.

Thanks, Rick

I work with a BMW dealer in Maryland. We do many out-of-state sales. In every case the buyer does not pay Maryland tax. If it is Virginia or DC, we can do the whole tag/tax/title procedure directly. If it is to another State, it can vary. If the purchase is cash, we give the the customer a 60 day MD temporary tag and the manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, also called a MSO, and he does his own tag/title work paying the taxes of his home state. If the purchase is financed, the dealer is responsible to title the bike to make sure the lien is registered. We do it on the Internet, contacting a tag/title office of the home state. There are some expenses attached to that, but the tax paid is still only to final title state. All this is perfectly legal in Maryland, but may be different in other states.

Minnesota is the same. I purchased many vehicles out state because the local dealers would not compete. I purchased cars in Texas, Florida, Colorado, Arizona and Georgia and never had a problem not paying the sales tax from that state. Only had to be paid in Minnesota

There are four BMW dealers within forty miles of my house and all are shopped by many, looking for a new or used bike. From the shoppers, each dealer knows what the other dealers are doing regarding discounts. Three of the dealers offer very good service so usually you buy the bike from the dealer closest to you. There is no shortage of bikes and the dealers want to move them. Keep talking and one of them will bite at your offer.

Gosh folks, I just wanted an idea of the typical down payment for ordering a bike, but it's been an interesting discussion anyway. I went ahead and ordered with my "local" dealer (a relative term: he's 45 minutes away). As good luck would have it, he beat the quote that I received from the big-city/high-volume dealership that's about 90 minutes away by several hundred dollars and is giving 15% on accessories (NAV III and both top boxes with coded locks)! grin.gif He did ask for $1500 to order but, as someone else said earlier, it's just a down-payment anyway. I got everything but the radio and ASC. The whole thing came in at less than I have in my optioned-up Night Train. They're telling me it will be here by late April or early May, which is fine with me as there won't be any good riding here until then, anyway.

If you are worried about the Lone Star boys--don't. They will gladly service your bike for you. I purchase my first 2 motorcycles from LS and my 3rd one from a competitor of theirs when they wouldn't match the competitor's price.

They don't care--they sell their allocation at a higher price because they can. And service margins are at the heart of a healthy shop, so go make your best deal, even if it is out of state. LS will still want your service dollars.

my dealer doesnt ask for any money when I order a bike. However, I dont negotiate too much on price when buying. I know Im paying more than I might at Daytona or another large dealer, but the trade off is excellent after sale service. For example, I live 150 miles from my dealer, and he actually volunteers to come pick up the bike and return it on service calls. I was just having the 6K mile service done. They will rearrange their service schedule to fit me in because they know how hard it is for me to get to the dealer sometimes. I wouldnt blame them one bit if they didint offer that kind of after sale service on a bike I didnt purchase there.

Gosh folks, I just wanted an idea of the typical down payment for ordering a bike, but it's been an interesting discussion anyway. I went ahead and ordered with my "local" dealer (a relative term: he's 45 minutes away). As good luck would have it, he beat the quote that I received from the big-city/high-volume dealership that's about 90 minutes away by several hundred dollars and is giving 15% on accessories (NAV III and both top boxes with coded locks)! grin.gif He did ask for $1500 to order but, as someone else said earlier, it's just a down-payment anyway. I got everything but the radio and ASC. The whole thing came in at less than I have in my optioned-up Night Train. They're telling me it will be here by late April or early May, which is fine with me as there won't be any good riding here until then, anyway.

And thats as it should be--I'm not advocating "snubbing" the local guy just because he's local. By all means get his quote--but if you give him a little "incentive" smile.gif to discount, he will probably do it, even though he first told you "MSRP ONLY" in no uncertain terms. Buying a car is exactly the same--you don't get a discount for just asking or being a nice guy; but if you do your homework you can really surprise yourself with the results!

I've run into some motorcycle and car dealers who give preferential treatment on service to customers who purchased from them. By preferential treatment, I mean servicing bikes/cars they sold first before other customers' bikes/cars. This generally happens only during busy times of year when they have a service backlog and long waiting time. So a customer who just bought a bike from them might be able to get service in a few days or a week, while another customer has to go to the back of the line and wait 2-3 weeks. I ran into this just last year when my VFR toasted its Vreg/rect away from home and I had to leave the bike at a local dealer until they could get around to it.

Dave

I've run into some motorcycle and car dealers who give preferential treatment on service to customers who purchased from them. By preferential treatment, I mean servicing bikes/cars they sold first before other customers' bikes/cars. This generally happens only during busy times of year when they have a service backlog and long waiting time. So a customer who just bought a bike from them might be able to get service in a few days or a week, while another customer has to go to the back of the line and wait 2-3 weeks. I ran into this just last year when my VFR toasted its Vreg/rect away from home and I had to leave the bike at a local dealer until they could get around to it.

Dave

Yep--that happens--also happens to the guys who DID buy from that dealer. Everyone who bought from him can't be first--gotta be some sort of line-up. Plus--who gets priority--a guy who *just" bought one or the guy who was loyal 3 years ago? Gotta be a time limit on all that "preferential treatment" or else the dealer would need 20 service bays and techs. Ain't gonna happen. Bottom line--it's just a way to make you feel guilty and ashamed for even *thinking* about shopping other dealers. If you buy into that, thats OK for you--I'll take the $1500 instead.

I got a brand new 07 R1200RT with cruise, heated seats & grips, acces. socket, white turn indicators, for $17,500 out the door...

I got a brand new '07 RT with everything except the radio and ASC for $17,200...plus 15% off NAV III and both top boxes!grin.gif

bobbybob: Yep--that happens--also happens to the guys who DID buy from that dealer. Everyone who bought from him can't be first--gotta be some sort of line-up. Plus--who gets priority--a guy who *just" bought one or the guy who was loyal 3 years ago? Gotta be a time limit on all that "preferential treatment" or else the dealer would need 20 service bays and techs. Ain't gonna happen. Bottom line--it's just a way to make you feel guilty and ashamed for even *thinking* about shopping other dealers. If you buy into that, thats OK for you--I'll take the $1500 instead.

Not saying you shouldn't shop around, only saying that it's not uncommon to get better service after the sale from the dealer you purchased from.

In my area, there are BMW shops which are known for good service and others which are known for just OK service. As long as the price is close (not $1500) I'm going to buy from a shop with good service.

Dave

I got a brand new 07 R1200RT with cruise, heated seats & grips, acces. socket, white turn indicators, for $17,500 out the door...

I got a brand new '07 RT with everything except the radio and ASC for $17,200...plus 15% off NAV III and both top boxes!grin.gif

Bob, you done good my boy clap.gif congrats! What did you do to make it happen?

GoGo Gadget

MSRP $16650

Destination and PDA $450

Available Equipment

350     $135 Chrome Exhaust Pipe

416     $800 Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA)

435     $1,890.0 Package (350, 416, 518, 519, 538, 539, 588, 764)

518     $280 Heated Seat

519     $235 Heated Hand Grips

530     $260 Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM)

538     $325 Cruise Control

539     $275 On Board Computer (incl. Oil Level Warning)

540     $1490.00 Radio/CD R 1200 RT (only with 995)

565     N / C Engine Spoiler Black

566     N / C Engine Spoiler Silver

588     $50.00 White Turn Indicator

603     $235 Anti-Theft Alarm

650     $365.00 ASC

725     $405.00 Radio Prep. Kit

764     $40.00 Accessory Socket

776     N / C Seat - Low (30.7 inches)

995     $N / C Extended optional equipment

Assuming you got the accessory package, that is $19,015 or $19,250 if you have the anti-theft alarm as well.

You got that for $17,200????

I was planning to sell my 04 and buy an 07 for my CCC trip. I might just add your dealer to my route and make a swap enroute.

MSRP $16650

Destination and PDA $450

Available Equipment

350 $135 Chrome Exhaust Pipe

416 $800 Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA)

435 $1,890.0 Package (350, 416, 518, 519, 538, 539, 588, 764)

518 $280 Heated Seat

519 $235 Heated Hand Grips

530 $260 Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM)

538 $325 Cruise Control

539 $275 On Board Computer (incl. Oil Level Warning)

540 $1490.00 Radio/CD R 1200 RT (only with 995)

565 N / C Engine Spoiler Black

566 N / C Engine Spoiler Silver

588 $50.00 White Turn Indicator

603 $235 Anti-Theft Alarm

650 $365.00 ASC

725 $405.00 Radio Prep. Kit

764 $40.00 Accessory Socket

776 N / C Seat - Low (30.7 inches)

995 $N / C Extended optional equipment

Assuming you got the accessory package, that is $19,015 or $19,250 if you have the anti-theft alarm as well.

You got that for $17,200????

I was planning to sell my 04 and buy an 07 for my CCC trip. I might just add your dealer to my route and make a swap enroute.

It's easier to list what I did not get: 540, 650, & 725. The price was $17,200. However, it was made clear to me (and I understand this completely) that this price would expire at the end of February, so I ordered before the deadline.

Archived