IGNORED

Just how fast is an RT?

eddd

I'm curious about the top speed of a R1100RT. I've still haven't found the limits of mine. I've run out of safe road or ba**s before I ran out of throttle. eek.gif

Just curious. lurker.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
I'm curious about the top speed of a R1100RT. I've still haven't found the limits of mine. I've run out of safe road or ba**s before I ran out of throttle. eek.gif

Just curious. lurker.gif

Get to a track, or get to rural Utah: from RT to RT, top speed varies a little depending on state of tune, but at sustained WOT in top gear, you'll eventually see around 130 MPH on the speedo, which is going to be closer to 125 MPH actual. I believe GPS-confirmed top speeds of around 130 MPH have been observed on a few 1100RT's.

From what I've gleaned from this forum and riding my own RT, it looks like they are speed governed at about 124 mph. U.S. bikes anyway. I read an article on the net once about a writer riding an 1150 across Germany on the autobahn at 135 mph, or so was his claim. My buddy has an 1100 and it appears to be a couple of mph faster on that governer/speed limiter than my 1150. All I know is that with my increased age and fear of my own mortality, I don't really ride in that range much at all anymore.

...it appears to be a couple of mph faster on that governer/speed limiter than my 1150.

It's the gearing. 1100's - 5 speed, 1150's 6 speed.

Mike O

130MPH GPS indicated on my 1100. Still not into the rev limiter even though speedometer needle was right at red line in 5th.

1200 yet to be tested.....

Just curious. lurker.gif

130mph indicated, 125mph actual!

russell_bynum

131 GPS 2-up with full luggage (side bags and topcase), on a slight downhill. (Chasing Brian T)

Same downhill, solo, I hit the rev limiter in 5th. I forget where that was on the speedo, but I think it was around 142. Probably 135 actual or something.

Of course, this happened on a closed course with professional riders. And it wasn't us. And it probably didn't happen anyway. smile.gif

BTW, My favorite question/answer on this forum was several years ago. Someone asked: How long can I ride at full throttle?

The answer (I wish I could remember who it was): About 2 hours, then you have to stop for gas. lmao.gif

143mph speedo, 137mph GPS, Death Valley's Daylight Pass in early am on fresh blacktop. Probably three miles of straight and smooth 5% grade. Air was still and 35°F. Thought of trying to go faster without side cases but couldn't convince myself it was worth the effort.

tongue.gif

My 1100 RT [ 30 k on the clock at the time ] was clocked by a mate following with GPS ........ 128 mph on the flat - that engine ran sweet .

Steve

Brian PDQ Signs
120 mph. Tested. straight, slight down-hill.

note: RT-P, w/ slightly lower gearing on #5.

...at least that's what I *heard*. ;)

What Woodie said on the flats ...at least that's what someone told me thumbsup.gif

OK this thread is no good without pics! Next time you guys play Burt Munroe on your RTs, just grab your camera and snap a pic of the dash would you? Those who have done it two up, just get the SO to snap one over your shoulder. thumbsup.gifwave.giflmao.gif

OK this thread is no good without pics! Next time you guys play Burt Munroe on your RTs, just grab your camera and snap a pic of the dash would you?

Wait. You want US, who have "never" done this thing, only heard about it, to let go of the handlebars at 110+, to take a picture? dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I won't do that on the 'bird. 110+ is really only the upper reaches of third gear and if I back off the gas in that gear with no hands on the bars it could get ugly. grin.gif

I live out here in the desert with endless long roads to play on. According to the speedo 130 is top speed...the GPS however says 117...so I would say the top speed of MINE is 117.

I live out here in the desert with endless long roads to play on. According to the speedo 130 is top speed...the GPS however says 117...so I would say the top speed of MINE is 117.

Yeah, but is your GPS calibrated for a fine German ride and able to do those necessary metric to english conversions at such a high rate of speed? grin.gifgrin.gif

Perhaps you could ask one of the local CHP officers to help you calibrate your GPS with his radar. I'm sure he wouldn't mind and might even let you make a rather large donation to the state of California for the trouble. At least you'd know your bike was faster than 117. That's almost moped territory. wink.gifwink.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Please do remember that top speed is governed by two things, HP and aerodynamics.

Those who live at higher altitudes are not gonna get the top speed of those at near sea level. Motor HP drops off a bit faster than drag so the guys who live in the high desert suffer more than those in say, eastern Kansas.

Drag factor is a huge thing. My VFR has reached 143 mph, GPS, on only a little more power than an R1200RT. Easy to understand if you compare the frontal area of the two bikes.

Joe Frickin' Friday
OK this thread is no good without pics! Next time you guys play Burt Munroe on your RTs, just grab your camera and snap a pic of the dash would you? Those who have done it two up, just get the SO to snap one over your shoulder. thumbsup.gifwave.giflmao.gif

819094-125.jpg

Wasn't me (I was in front of him crazy.gif).

819094-125.jpg.d6c2e9bb039ee76a2863cf29b2a2a7b2.jpg

Lone_RT_rider

819094-125.jpg

And he was closing on you......two up! (no, not me)..... but he was piped and chipped. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

819094-125.jpg

Why isn't this picture properly focused? I thought RTs were always smooth as silk! grin.gif

Why isn't this picture properly focused? I thought RTs were always smooth as silk!

Three possibilities:

1) With only 15,000 miles on that bike it isn't broken in yet. It will smooth out around 40K.

2) At 120 the bike is steady, but the rider was shaking a bit.

3) After photoshopping the speedometer it's best to blur everything just a bit... tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Why isn't this picture properly focused? I thought RTs were always smooth as silk! grin.gif

The bike's good, but at that speed the roads and winds carry no such guarantee. crazy.gif

Flat, straight, not normal, 96 RT top end at 127.5 before the engine cut out (assume electronic governor) according to my Sigma bicycle speedometer. I don't know what the rpm was showing because I was looking down the road and not at the instruments (the Sigma has a Max Speed feature). 'Don't think my 1150 will do that as 5th gear is too low and 6th prohibits reaching the red line.

Flat, straight, not normal, 96 RT top end at 127.5 before the engine cut out (assume electronic governor) according to my Sigma bicycle speedometer. I don't know what the rpm was showing because I was looking down the road and not at the instruments (the Sigma has a Max Speed feature). 'Don't think my 1150 will do that as 5th gear is too low and 6th prohibits reaching the red line.

The altitude factor is very true. If my aeronautic ground school learning is correct, at 7 thousand feet above sea level, a normally aspirated engine will only produce 75% of its rated horsepower at WFO. As the air gets thinner, drag will decrease, but not as much as available power.

My RT, I think, would get awfully close to redline in 6th gear, but the speed limiter in the Motronic will not let it. I think you'd find your 1150 would run a bit faster if you could get ahold of an European Motronic without the speed limiter.

ShovelStrokeEd

There is no speed limiter in the Motronic, only a rev limiter and most 1150's lack the power to reach the rev limit in 6th gear.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Looks are deceiving as a R1100RT has the amazingly low coefficient of drag(0.49 Cd)!

Modest Cd, maybe, but it's a fat pig with humungous frontal area; the net effect is pretty big actual drag.

These speeds aren't too bad. . .considering the RT has the drag coefficient of a small bus!

I thought it was "the drag coefficient of a Buick?" ;-)

A 0.49 Cd is not particularly aerodynamic. A good car these days has a Cd of 0.30. Some examples, IIRC:

1983 Porsche 944: 0.34 Cd

1998 Madzda Millenia: 0.29 Cd

2006 Corvette: 0.28 Cd

2007 Cadillac Escalade: 0.36 Cd

Motorcycles are relatively inefficient from an aerodynamic perspective.

A 0.49 Cd is not particularly aerodynamic. A good car these days has a Cd of 0.30. Some examples, IIRC:

1983 Porsche 944: 0.34 Cd

1998 Madzda Millenia: 0.29 Cd

2006 Corvette: 0.28 Cd

2007 Cadillac Escalade: 0.36 Cd

Motorcycles are relatively inefficient from an aerodynamic perspective.

I'll suffer with the inefficiency. No other vehicle I've ever driven/ridden put a bigger smile on my face, and can keep it there during a 700 mile day. thumbsup.gif

I wonder what the Cd is for one of my other rides. eek.gif

Archived