IGNORED

Gotcha's on an LT?

redryder

Hello all,

I am a regular on the forum, but hang out on the oilhead side of the fence, having an RT. But recently, my wife told me while we were at the dealer "if you had one of these LTs, I "MIGHT" ride with you more. So, not being a direct decendant of J.P. Morgan, I can't afford a new LT just to see "if" she'll ride. So, I went in search of a good used LT, and think I've found one that will suit my needs. Keep in mind, that I wouldn't trade my RT for 5 LTs, so I'm keeping the oilhead in the stable. I've become fond of a 2000 LT, one owner, 48K with a few extra farkles. Talked to the man today and he says all scheduled maintenance has been performed at the BMW dealer. He has two other bikes, GSs both, and prefers to ride them over the LT since his wife "doesn't ride" anymore.

My question for your K-bike brains is: What are the weaknesses of the Ks, and specifically LTs? What should I look for when kicking the tires and test driving it? Issues such as spline lube as on the oilheads?

Thanks in advance for your input and advice. I'm looking forward to spending lots of miles on the RT for one up and LT for two up riding, should the wife decide she'll go with me. BTW, she has ridden the RT with me, but as either one of us is as skinny as we were when married 26 years ago, there's not much room for her on the pillion on the RT. Hopefully, there's an couple of inches more on the LT.

Hello all,

My question for your K-bike brains is: What are the weaknesses of the Ks, and specifically LTs? What should I look for when kicking the tires and test driving it? Issues such as spline lube as on the oilheads?

Greg,

The bmwlt.net forums are full of info (as you've been told) but the LT suffers from the same final drive carrier bearing early end of life just like the Oilheads. They also seem to have more clutch slave cylinder failures than the other models. Other than that, nothing that should prevent you from putting 100's of thousands of miles on one. smile.gif

No spline lubes are needed.

Mick

My SO has an LT. Here's his laundry list:

1. On the LT, find out if the headlight has been upgraded to an HID (the stock one is pathetic). This is the least expensive upgrade to this bike (<$100).

2. Get the stock seat redone as a custom seat.

3. 48k miles - when were the shocks replaced. The stock units go about 20k before they are trash.

4. Twist the throttle. If it feels like you should be using a wrench to turn it instead of your hand, the stock cables need to be upgraded to the new style.

5. Trunk latch - do the trunk lid pins look like someone has been using a hacksaw on them? If so, the trunk latch is probably well on its way to failure and will require the aftermarket fix.

Other than that, practice your low speed handling PRIOR to going for a ride with your wife on the back. Then begin riding it like you stole it!

1809491547_819008-TTVFRmeet.jpg.d1fb6ae76af6541b25f0525dc37cb867.jpg

NathanJessup

I had an RT and now own an 05 LT... I love it. For the 2000 year model you can bleed your own ABS brakes which I cannot... Other than a small minority (3-4%) who have lost their rear drive without much warning there is not much wrong with the K engine... LONG lasting with many over 100-200,00o miles and I have owned GL's and HD's and nothing rakes in the miles like my LT.. ALmost like a very comfortable sport bike... Fast and Great handling... Everything has compromises but a recent poll last year yielded that 88% of us LT owners would still buy our bike again !!!That is really a truth teller.... My S/O says it is way more comfortable than either my last HD Bagger or the 96 goldwing I had or even my friends GL1800 we rode on a few occasions.

Archived