IGNORED

Tires for the R1200RT?????

CopsRT

It is again time to begin thinking about what tires to use in the upper midwest for a season of riding. I have tried 2 sets of Bridgstone BT020's with poor results (about 5000 miles on a rear). I have used 3 sets of Metzler Z6s(about 6000 miles on a rear).

Crucial factors in tire selection/wear are weight (160# rider and no passenger), luggage (2 saddle bags, sometimes the tail trunk, and camping gear), speed (two lane roads around 65-70 and intestates 70-85), areas one rides (prefer the central states to the west coast, little east coast, so there fore a more coarse road surface), and experience (just got my BMW 300,000 mile award).

I am looking for a good handling tire with better wear (dream of 8,000 to 10,000 miles on a rear).

There seem to be several new options out there such as the new Bridgestone BT021, the Avon Storm and the Conti Road Attack. Any thoughts out there from all or any of you for this size/application.

Thanks, Andy

ShovelStrokeEd

I would replace them with Pilot Roads. They'll handle that 8K mile thing with no problems. Heck, I have nearly that on the back of my Honda Blackbird and the tire is only now starting to show a moderate squaring in the center. Hasn't got to the point where it feels bad on turns yet, I just know its there. I'm actually waiting for the new Pilot Power 2C to come out and I'm going to try a set of those.

I really like the Pilot Road but I'm going to try the Avon Storm since I'm due a set now and 2c PR won't be out till September. The BT021 looks interesting too.

I should say it looks like I'll get about 6-6.5k miles on the Pilot Roads and it is likely due to riding hard + 270lbs.

I just switched from BT020s to Pilot Roads. I've only got a couple hundred miles on them though. They do seem to handle and stick well. I switched to them because several friends of mine have said they last much longer than other tires. I was only getting about 6k out of a rear BT 020. My friend who has run the Pilot Roads on his R1200ST says he has gotten about 12k on a rear. Another with an R1200RT has gotten even more on a rear Pilot Road.

It is again time to begin thinking about what tires to use in the upper midwest for a season of riding. I have tried 2 sets of Bridgstone BT020's with poor results (about 5000 miles on a rear). I have used 3 sets of Metzler Z6s(about 6000 miles on a rear).

Thanks, Andy

I just bought a set of Conti Road Attacks to have on hand, but I have 14,000+ kms (8700mi) on my Z6s and they are still looking pretty good, I can probably get another 3-4000kms out them easy. I'm a 200lb solo rider. Wonder why you're only getting 6000 miles out of the Z6s? We use about 98% chip seal around here as well so our roads are not very tire friendly. I ride quite aggressively and go through tires way faster than my wife who is a very smooth conservative rider, who goes through bikes faster than tires. ;-)

The biggest problem that I have found with the Z6's is the lack of a center grove on the rear tire to more easily gage tire/tread depth and therefore tire life. I found too many times that I am planning a 2-4,000 mile trip and just can't comfortably leave with the rear tire and have changed it early so I don't have to look for one while on the road. I would have loved to see the Z6 with 3-4 of the tire groves to have been connected from side to side to more easily gage the remaining tread depth.

I am also due for new tyres after getting only about 11000km out of BT020's. On my old R1100RT I was getting 14000km out of the BT020's.

If they are avialable here I am going to give the Pilot Roads a go. They are $30 a set more expensive than the Bridgestones but the cost/km will be less if I can get better mileage (kilometerage?) out of them.

I changed the original equipment Pilot Roads at 10,000. The back was finished but the front could have gone a bit further if I wasn't headed out on a long trip. I have been through a couple sets of Metzler Z6's. I prefer the handling of the Metzlers to the Michelins even though the Z6's only get around 6000 miles. I agree with the earlier comment about the lack of decent wear indication on the Metzlers because of the solid center tread. I unintentionally wore one set to the wire belts. I am anxious to hear more about the Avon Storms after a few people wear through them.

I like the Conti Road Attacks but I don't get any better mileage than you have with the 020s. I got about 11,000kms (about 5400 miles) out of mine. In my case both the front and the back were shot. However they are a great handling tire when new and compliment the characteristics of the bike very well. My biggest complaint about tires generally is the handling goes off well before they are "officially" worn out. I am constantly amazed at how much better my bike handles with new rubber. I am also quite confused about how some people get so much better mileage than I do despite the fact that I am not generally an aggressive rider. Maybe its road surface maybe its just bad karma.

<snip>. I am also quite confused about how some people get so much better mileage than I do despite the fact that I am not generally an aggressive rider. Maybe its road surface maybe its just bad karma.

I'll confuse you some more. I just passed 12,000 miles on my BT020's and probably have another 1,000 to go. I'm only changing them now since I'll have the bike in for service and don't want to take another trip for tires. I'm going with the Z6, second choice was the Avon Storm. I live in NJ which I hear has better roads than some other states west of here.

Ive done 54000 klms since mid November 05. Metz Z6, Pirrelli Dragons, Michelin Road Pilot, Metz 880, Conti Road Attack with about 2000 klms to go before replacemnent. The Contis have been the best so far for grip with no weird handling problems. The front has kept a round profile with the back flat in the middle. I should get 12000 klms out of them.I think I will try the Conti Force with the dual compound next time. I can't work out how the yanks get such high mileage, I think their road compound must be softer than their tyre compound.

Dave Glen

St Arnaud, Victoria, Australia

these guys in belgium

http://www.moto-loisirs.be/

have a full article on their long term r12200rt test machine

92500km around europe and they have stripped the bike and engine to examine wear etc

they also show the history to date for tyres:

Dunlop d220st sportmax changed at 10744km (still had some life)

metzeler roadtec z6 changed at 19740km (still had some life)

bridgestone bt020nt changed at 29800km (plenty of life left but they were leaving on a long trip)

michelin pilot road changed at 48000km (completely dead)

Continental conti roadattac changed at 57855 (wore rapidly)

bridgestone bt020 nt 67920km (not completely worn)

bridgestone bt020 nt 79403km (completely dead)

avon viper sport 88703km (completely dead)

irc protech sp-11r still on the wheels

their summary basically says that except for the avons all the tyres are good for touring (in terms of wear)and of course they talk about the differing qualities under different circumstances. all of them good in the wet and it seams the cheaper ones arent as sporty as the more expensive ones etc

i would guess over this kind of distance the bike would encounter so many different conditions it would be difficult to make direct comparisons but makes interesting reading nethertheless

these guys in belgium

92500km around europe and they have stripped the bike and engine to examine wear etc

bridgestone bt020nt changed at 29800km (plenty of life left but they were leaving on a long trip)

their summary basically says that except for the avons all the tyres are good for touring (in terms of wear)and of course they talk about the differing qualities under different circumstances. all of them good in the wet and it seams the cheaper ones arent as sporty as the more expensive ones etc

i would guess over this kind of distance the bike would encounter so many different conditions it would be difficult to make direct comparisons but makes interesting reading nethertheless

Nobody had mentioned Pirelli Diablo Strada (EMT). This is their Extended Mileage Tire. I think it would be similar to Z6's. I decided to give them a try after my Z6s. I am coming up to 7K miles and think they may go for 1K more.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

these guys in belgium

Nobody had mentioned Pirelli Diablo Strada (EMT). This is their Extended Mileage Tire. I think it would be similar to Z6's. I decided to give them a try after my Z6s. I am coming up to 7K miles and think they may go for 1K more.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

How do they handle? Wet\Dry?

As far as I know the handling and wet performance are similar to Z6s, which is pretty good. It looks like they're a little more sportier and I think worth a try.

I like the Conti Road Attacks but I don't get any better mileage than you have with the 020s. I got about 11,000kms (about 5400 miles) out of mine. In my case both the front and the back were shot. However they are a great handling tire when new and compliment the characteristics of the bike very well. My biggest complaint about tires generally is the handling goes off well before they are "officially" worn out. I am constantly amazed at how much better my bike handles with new rubber. I am also quite confused about how some people get so much better mileage than I do despite the fact that I am not generally an aggressive rider. Maybe its road surface maybe its just bad karma.

I'm with you. 6k miles is about it and I change them both. I shoot for the quality, not the quantity. I never wait until the handling suffers or the tread is toast. That does not make any sense to me. YMMV

I'm with you. 6k miles is about it and I change them both. I shoot for the quality, not the quantity. I never wait until the handling suffers or the tread is toast. That does not make any sense to me. YMMV

thumbsup.gif Few things take the fun out of a long ride like wondering if your tire has enough center tread to get you home. The cost savings of extending your tires an extra 1000 miles is about the same as 3 - 4 tanks of gas.

I'd like to know the tread depth you all are replacing your tires at after only 6,000 miles. It just sounds so wrong to me. My rear is about 1/16th inch shy of the wear bar at 12,000 miles.

AdventurePoser

I currently have approx 6K miles on my first set of BT020s on my R12RT. They seem to handle ok, but I believe another spirited LDR and they will be toast.

I'd like to throw on a set of Metzler ME 880s or Avon ST 45/46s for longer life next time around...

Cheers,

Steve

I'd like to know the tread depth you all are replacing your tires at after only 6,000 miles. It just sounds so wrong to me. My rear is about 1/16th inch shy of the wear bar at 12,000 miles.

Dunlop rear 4K miles into the tread wear bar.

Michelin Pilot Road 8K miles with what looked to be about 1500-2K more miles obtainable. Had long ride coming up so replaced early.

Metzeler Z6 Currently 5.7K miles. Tread depth looks good (3/32) where measurable, but don't trust center depth as there is no way to confirm. Will replace in another .3K miles since next trip is at least 3.5K miles.

Avon Storms TBD...

Of the 3 tires I have had on the bike, I like the Z6s best for performance / handling and the PRs for longevity. Considering how much I detested the Z4s on the 1100, this is a major thumbsup.gif for the Z6s in my book.

I've got the Dunop's with almost 5k miles and maybe another 1k to 2k miles left on the rear - front appears to be wearing slower. My major complaint with the Dunlops - they whine when I lean the bike over... frown.gif In this part of Colorado I'm mostly on chip-n-seal so I don't expect to get great mileage out of tires.

Scanning the reports back from everyone it seems like 5,500 to 6,500 miles (9 Km to 10.5 Km) is fairly typical. I'll be trying Road Pilots or Conti's early this summer.

Not sure if this applies to MC tires, but I've read that tread wear on car/truck tires is fastest when the tire is new. Wear slows with decreasing tread depth.

Has anyone seen anything similar for MC tires?

Greg - cuz' inquiring minds want to know!

Not sure if this applies to MC tires, but I've read that tread wear on car/truck tires is fastest when the tire is new. Wear slows with decreasing tread depth.

My experience with both cars and cycles is that tread wear accelerates as the tread gets thinner.

Dunlop rear 4K miles into the tread wear bar.

Michelin Pilot Road 8K miles with what looked to be about 1500-2K more miles obtainable. Had long ride coming up so replaced early.

Metzeler Z6 Currently 5.7K miles. Tread depth looks good (3/32) where measurable, but don't trust center depth as there is no way to confirm. Will replace in another .3K miles since next trip is at least 3.5K miles.

Avon Storms TBD...

Of the 3 tires I have had on the bike, I like the Z6s best for performance / handling and the PRs for longevity. Considering how much I detested the Z4s on the 1100, this is a major thumbsup.gif for the Z6s in my book.

How did you like the Pilot Roads' handling? Any specific impressions?

I've sworn off the Z6s, because I got into the center cord when I thought I still had tire life. Interesting that you didn't like the Z4s on your 1100. I used to love them on mine.

My last two sets were Contis. They seem to wear and handle about as well as the Z6s, but I don't completely trust them, yet. I'm getting better life from the second set, but I think it's mainly because I took a long road trip in the fall and I didn't push the bike like I do riding around home.

Dunlops - they whine when I lean the bike over... frown.gif In this part of Colorado I'm mostly on chip-n-seal so I don't expect to get great mileage out of tires.

(Quote)

My Pilot Roads whine when turning and so did the Bridgestone's (worse)......Both Kathy's 1150 and my 1200 have Pilot Roads on and will replace with the same...I've got 9,300 miles and a couple of thou to go probably...Her's are wearing well too....FWIW

Phil..........Redbrick

The problem with the Pilot Roads is the hard center ridge which develops as the tires wear. This effects turn-in. Also, on my 1200 I experienced slight spinning of the rear tire on corner exits which I have not experienced under similar circumstances with the Dunlops or the Metzelers.

The Z6s don't seem to have any bad characteristics other than the mentioned difficulty in telling when the center rubber is worn. Handling has been great and consistant.

The problems I had with the Z4s were primarily related to cold weather and rain handling. When the Z4s were cold, they were very slippery. They were also slow to warm up. and in cold wet weather they didn't warm up. Front tire was worse than the rear IMO.

No other tire I have had on the 1100 or 1200 have been as bad as the Z4s under those conditions.

Unfortunately, I ride too often in those conditions.

Well if any of you guys need tires you may want to order them soon. Seems like everytime I have checked on tire prices lately they are going up like gas at the pump. Speaking of gas, here in SoCal gas has gone up .50 cents per gallon in the last 3 weeks. It is our special "summer blend" they tell us.

Just FYI: Bridgestone just came up with brand new tires BT 021, hard compound in the center and soft on the sides. I don't think they're available yet. Otherwise they look pretty good.

Exploreinman

This month's Rider magazine has an ad for the AVON Storms. I too am interested as soon as anyone tries them. I came off of an FJR to my '05RT and AVON tires were the tire of choice for many FJR riders. I just put new Pilot Roads on so it will probably be August/September before I need new skins.

There's also an ad for BridgeStone's BT-021 in this month's Rider using a K1200R as it's subject!

Stephen

This month's Rider magazine has an ad for the AVON Storms. I too am interested as soon as anyone tries them. I came off of an FJR to my '05RT and AVON tires were the tire of choice for many FJR riders. I just put new Pilot Roads on so it will probably be August/September before I need new skins.

There's also an ad for BridgeStone's BT-021 in this month's Rider using a K1200R as it's subject!

On the R1150 RT, the Bridgestone 020s were by far the best choice for handling- especially in the wet. Not sure about straight line stuff, but for corners, 020s are the kings! I actually specified 020s when I ordered the 1200rt - still in production. bncry.gif

Stephen

they are absolutlely killing us in western NY with BMW shop price for tires and insilation ...its just to damn bad .

they call it supporting the dealer ,they are ripping us off here .

Side note the same in Indiana for gas. It must be our summer blend.

Yeah, summer gas must've arrived early in Colorado also! Wait, what's that white stuff on the ground... dopeslap.gif

AdventurePoser

My experience with both cars and cycles is that tread wear accelerates as the tread gets thinner.

Sure, as the the tread gets thinner, heat doesn't dissipate as quickly, which increases wear...that's why I don't try to eke out that last 1 or 2K miles out of a set. Once the tread gets close, it goes in a hurry.

BTW, an update on my BT020s....I'm gonna ride them another 800 miles and that's it. They'll be toast.

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

I just checked with Ron Ayers,the Metz Z6 just jumped $40.00 for a rear 180/55 ZR17 $165.00+or- a dollar.I just ordered The Michelin Road which was still @ $126.00

I've never seen tire prices jump that much @ once!

• 6 months later...

I have 9200 miles on my 020's so far, with at least 3K left on the tread (both front and rear).

I do use Smart Tire, and I think that keeping my tires fully inflated at all times has contributed to long tire life.

I've posted this previously on another thread, but my first set of Pilot Roads on the RT got about 9500 miles. However the next set only got about 6500 on them and I don't understand why the difference. Similar riding on similar roads. I'm going to try the new Bridgstone 021's now that they're out.

Did you verify that they were put on in the correct orientation? (the arrow in the direction of rotation). My buddy rides exclusively pilot roads and goes through about 4 sets a season. He normally gets between 8-10 per set, but one set was put on backwards (arrow against the rotation) He didn't notice it til the tires were toast, and he only got about 6K out of that set.

I have used 3 sets of Metzler Z6s(about 6000 miles on a rear).

I wonder why? I have 13K on my front and will be ordering one soon, but I am not in need of replacing it yet. 8k on the rear. Might have been 13k as well had it not been the nail I picked up somewhere in the midwest. Plug held until California. :D

Yes, they were turned in the correct direction. The Bridgestone Battlax BT 021 can be purchased for $225 a set with not tax and no cost for ground shipping at motosport.com.

Andy:

I've got 021s on my RT. I like them. They don't make that front tread noise like the 020s You get a little all the time, but it's really not objectionable. I'm getting slightly better mileage on them, but nothing dramatic. If you're used to 5,000 on them, figure you might get 6,000, like the Metzlers.

I think the Z6 is the best new tire to put on this bike, but I still like Bridgestone for balanced performance throughout the life of the bike. I've been using the recommended 36/42 inflation with them. The back tire is starting to show some square corners after 4000 or so miles, but handling is still pretty decent. When the Metz's square off, they seem to be harder to live with.

I've never tried Pilot Roads or Avons or Pirellis. I've heard that Pirellis are pretty good handling and long lasting. I've resigned myself to a 5,000 mile tire change interval for the most part. The only way to get around that really is to have a second set of wheels for getting the last bit of the tire wear for local riding and keep a fresh set for going on long trips. I'd love to do it but it's a pricey solution.

-TB

I find it ironic that my (then new) 2004 Yam FJR came factory equipped with Greman Metzler Z6 whereas my 2007 RT has Japanese 'Stones on it's hoops. Go figure...

Anyway, I liked those Z6 on the FJR but switched to Pilot Roads at replacement and liked them even more. I'm now running Avon Storm ST's (see attachment) and like them best of all. It's not a fair comparison between worn out and brand new tires, but the Storms seemed to have very smooth cornering transition.

My RT has only rolled 1300 miles so far, but this thread is helpful for future planning at replacement time.

Jeff

924166-FJR-Avons(small).JPG.af25ad4d00a4a084b022573bc6462583.JPG

My RT came with the Metzeler Z6's. I liked the tires fine until I rode Jan's bike with the Bridgestone 020's and later, the Avon Storms. I replaced the Z6's with the BMW fitment Conti Road Attacks. The Z6's seem to have a U shape that requires me to push the bike hard into turns, the Conti's just fall into the turn.

I also noticed a bit of a squirrelly feeling in the front with the Z6's while cornering in the hills at say, 70 mph or so. I don't get that same unstable feeling with the Conti's. (I'm gonna have to start riding like an adult, because the bike feels so stable crazy.gif) I only have about 125 miles on the Conti's but IMHO these tires stick well and handle well.

My experience with the Conti's is the same as yours. I have about 6000 miles on them and will not use any others again. Handling is smooth and predictable especially in the rain. Twisty roads in all weather are a blast. I'll probably get another 2000 miles before hitting the wear bars.

I've run through two sets of Conti Road Attacks. They both were done about 6k miles, but they had good grip (dry & wet) through the entire life. I think I could have gotten slightly over 6k on the second set, but needed new tires for a cross-country trip.

I used to swear by Metzlers, but moved on after I added my first Z6 rear to the stack showing cord behind the bike shop. I also had an ill-fated tryst with a set of Z4's (now discontinued?) - the rear was toast in less than 4k.

I'm currently trying Bridgestone BT021's. I like the grip and at slightly over 4300 miles it looks like they're going to outlast anything else I've had on this bike. The thing is, they cost significantly more than the Conti's. I have to get something like 8k out of these to have the same cost per mile as the Road Attacks.

I'm anxious to try the new Michelin PR2's. The rear, like the BT021'a, is a dual compound tire. The general feedback on PR's, along with Michelin's published info on the PR2's makes me think they could be the tire that best fits what I'm looking for on the R12RT.

I'm anxious to try the new Michelin PR2's. The rear, like the BT021'a, is a dual compound tire. The general feedback on PR's, along with Michelin's published info on the PR2's makes me think they could be the tire that best fits what I'm looking for on the R12RT.

I'm happy with my Pilot Road 2 so far. The rear of BT021 is dual compound but the front is mono compound - the front and rear tires of the Pilot Road 2 are dual compound.

Archived