IGNORED

New Nolan N-Com flip up helmet

ButtUgly

I just got back from the bike show in Montreal and had a good talk with the Nolan rep for Canada. I'm tempted to buy two Nolan N-Com helmets; a flip up for me and a full face for the wife. I did not get as much reading material on the product to make me comfortable with my probable choice. Is there a website which has surveys, or user feedback? I'm not really a technical type guy but love to be informed before I purchase. For example, I don't know what the warranty is on the 'electronics' part of this product. I'm not sure how the electronis are recharged if there is no plug-in needed (Bluetooth). Do any of the members in this forum have the new Nolan with the N-Com system? any info would be appreciated. thumbsup.gif

I have a friend who was at Intermot. When he pressed the Nolan people, they admitted that the system's effectiveness is compromised above 70kph, or about 45mph. As we've discussed on this board, BlueTooth has its place. But the technology isn't sufficiently robust to support what we ask of an integrated intercom/communications/entertainment system.

I understand the desire for wireless intercom. And it will be coming from all of the major manufacturers. But the successful systems won't utilize Bluetooth.

Here is what I was thinking. J&M Corp is coming out with N-Com 'like' module that will fit in in the Nolan N102 where the N-Com typically resides. It will have wired intercom to pillion and STEREO bluetooth to their custom dongle.

They are saying this product will be out sometime in april.

I like this architecture and am going to wait and see how this pans out. In the mean time, you can get a nolan ncom ready helemet today.

Thanks for the heads up, Fernando.

Based on this info, I'm starting to think I may be better off with an Autocom system.

I have some friends here in town who are using the Autocom and will get their input on my choices.

Any other input from the board is more than welcome.

Regards,

Pat

Thanks for the heads up, Fernando.

Based on this info, I'm starting to think I may be better off with an Autocom system.

I have some friends here in town who are using the Autocom and will get their input on my choices.

Any other input from the board is more than welcome.

Regards,

Pat

Well, I AM pro Autocom. But I wasn't trying to convince you to purchase one of their systems specifically. I do have faith that when the wireless intercoms hit the market, that Autocom's will be the best of the lot, but that's just faith. The facts remain to be seen.

In the meantime, while BlueTooth does work within a limited set of parameters, virtually everyone agrees that when wireless is perfected, it will not be BlueTooth based. It may HAVE BlueTooth as one of its elements (for example, to connect the phone's simple monaural communication needs to the system), but the rest of the system will use other wireless technology(ies).

Mark,

Thanks for the info.

Having just read your post on your decision to purchase the autocom system. I believe I will go that route as well.

I do have two items I wish to install on the bike before I get the Autocom

1- A Kisan TailBlazer (Tail light modulator)

2- A Powerlet Canbus adaptor to switch my rear power inlet to a regular power source (independant of the Canbus system)

After the two products are installed, I will determine where to source power for the Autocom.

I don't think I will need to use the Autocom when the bike is off so I doubt I will need the #1546 cable. Am I right in this assumption?

Regards,

Pat

Mark,

Thanks for the info.

Having just read your post on your decision to purchase the autocom system. I believe I will go that route as well.

I do have two items I wish to install on the bike before I get the Autocom

1- A Kisan TailBlazer (Tail light modulator)

2- A Powerlet Canbus adaptor to switch my rear power inlet to a regular power source (independant of the Canbus system)

After the two products are installed, I will determine where to source power for the Autocom.

I don't think I will need to use the Autocom when the bike is off so I doubt I will need the #1546 cable. Am I right in this assumption?

Regards,

Pat

Hi Pat, first off I'd add that Moto Internationale stocks Autocom (saw it there Friday before heading to the bike show), but they do not install them. That's one reason I'm getting it directly from Autocom's US distributor, and having them install it. I could have the bike work done locally here in Ottawa, but I would not trust myself to get the helmets set up properly, in which case the frustration would not be worth it to me.

Autocom part #1546 (from memory), takes the power directly from the battery, but it also has a wire that taps into the electrical system at one of the accessory sockets to trip a relay. I don't think any of this has anything to do with using the system when the bike is off (I have no interest in doing that). As I understand it, by taking power directly from the battery, you bypass the bike's CANBUS. The relay, powered from the accessory socket, and requiring very little power, turns the system on and off whenever the ignition is turned on/off (presumably preventing you from discharging your battery when you switch the bike's ignition off). I've now more than exhausted my technical know-how, and may not have answered your question, but I bet Fernando could in a flash.

BTW, if I didn't live a continent away, I'd buy the system from, and have it installed by, Fernando's BMW dealership. I actually thought seriously about that for my summertime trip to California, but we (my wife and I)would have missed the ability to talk to one another for a good chunk of our trip, which sort of defeated the purpose of getting the Autocom in the first place.

Mark,

Thank you for the information. I was not aware that Moto Inter held the Autocom line of products. I may look into purchasing from them if the price is competitive with US dealers.

Although I am a mechanical nerd, I am fortunate to have two brothers in law who are an awful lot smarter than me.

I am sure that although they are not riders, they could help me out on this project.

Your travel plans indicate you are headed west. If ever your travels bring you eastbound (from Ottawa) look me up in Trois Rivieres. The Parc de la Mauricie is a day trip from here with excellent pavement, hardly any cages and tons of twisties. It's our local version of Deal's Gap wink.gif

Thanks again,

Pat

Mark,

Thank you for the information. I was not aware that Moto Inter held the Autocom line of products. I may look into purchasing from them if the price is competitive with US dealers.

Although I am a mechanical nerd, I am fortunate to have two brothers in law who are an awful lot smarter than me.

I am sure that although they are not riders, they could help me out on this project.

Your travel plans indicate you are headed west. If ever your travels bring you eastbound (from Ottawa) look me up in Trois Rivieres. The Parc de la Mauricie is a day trip from here with excellent pavement, hardly any cages and tons of twisties. It's our local version of Deal's Gap wink.gif

Thanks again,

Pat

Pat, Moto Inter's prices were definitely competitive with the distributor's prices, in fact cheaper. Top Gear (US distributor) quoted me list prices (I don't know what price US dealers sell at). Top Gear wants $390 USD for the Active Plus Duo Kit. At an excahnge rate of 1.20, that's about $468 CDN. Moto Inter quoted me $420 CDN! I suspect it has to do with the excahnge rates between the UK Pound and the US vs. Cdn dollar. In this case, it's cheaper for us to buy in Canada. That said, I want someone to install it who knows what they're doing, as it's beyond my limited skill (changing the oil/filter is the limit for me)

You sound like you have the same skills I do. You're lucky you have brothers-in-law who can help.

I'll keep Trios Rivieres in mind for the future.

I have been agonizing over getting an Autocom, and just saw a few units advertised by Kahuna Cycle on Ebay. Looks like they are located around Toronto (Woodbridge). Their prices are significantly less than US dealers. I'm wondering if there should be any issues/problems ordering from Canada (to Michigan)? Getting service any problem?

...just got a response back from Kahuna, they say warranty is one year through them. I'm pretty sure it's two years though US dealers. Still seems like a good deal...

While the wire can indeed be a little bit of a pain, the idea of having to keep my helmet charged seems like a PITA too.

I can just hear my SO when the morning of day 4 of a 14 day trip, "Oops, I forgot to plug the helmets in last night before we went to bed." tongue.gif

But then, that's just me.

I have been agonizing over getting an Autocom, and just saw a few units advertised by Kahuna Cycle on Ebay. Looks like they are located around Toronto (Woodbridge). Their prices are significantly less than US dealers. I'm wondering if there should be any issues/problems ordering from Canada (to Michigan)? Getting service any problem?

...just got a response back from Kahuna, they say warranty is one year through them. I'm pretty sure it's two years though US dealers. Still seems like a good deal...

Since the product is made in the UK, I'm assuming the price difference between Canada and the US results from curreny exchange rate differences between the Pound and Cdn dollar, and the Pound vs. US dollar. Their prices are certainly good in Canadian dollars also. For the Kit 200 they want $370 CDN + $25 shipping. To buy the same thing in Montreal would cost me $420 not including shipping. For me to buy that kit from Top Gear, Autocom's US distributor, would be $390 US (about $468 CDN, not including shipping. That said, I'm still planning to go with Top Gear because they will install it for me).

Kahuna has a very good EBay record (if you trust the EBay responses). Canadians buy stuff from the US all the time online. I'm not sure why you might be reluctant, although warranty can be a consideration. For example, on many consumer electronics (cameras etc.), often the US warranty will not be honoured in Canada. That's to encourage Cdn customers to buy at home.

I bought a couple of Active duo kit 200 from Chris at Kahuna in January. I saved almost $100 CAN over the Moto International price. Got fast delivery to Montreal.I also had purchased an Autocom cable from him and didn't fit my need. He took it back without any problems.

I did not go through e-bay for any of those purchases. Just called him directly and used my MC. Overall a good experience with him.

The only drawback was that he does not supply any kind of official receipt.

You can contact him by phone or e-mail if you have any questions.

905-264-3116

parts@kahunakawasaki.com

I am not affiliated to Kahuna in any way.

I did not get a receipt with the package shipped, Afterwards, I did ask him for a one for warranty purpose. He did send me one but there is no GST/PST number... It's a hand made Excell sheet with numbers. No big deal really. I would still deal with him. Just taught I would mention this smirk.gif

BTW, Moto Internationale has a promotion untill end of March; You get 20% of your purchase. Can be used as a credit that can be used for your next purchase.

BTW, Moto Internationale has a promotion untill end of March; You get 20% of your purchase. Can be used as a credit that can be used for your next purchase.

Can you please show me where (online) this is indicated?

[quote

Can you please show me where (online) this is indicated?

Steve,

I don't see it ontheir web site. Not sure if this applies to "on-line" purchases or that they even sell through their web site.

HERE

I just picked up an ad at the Montreal Motorcycle show last week-end offering this cash back offer. Might just be for in store purchases.

That said, I want someone to install it who knows what they're doing, as it's beyond my limited skill

Mark, have you tried Jesse McGrath at Premier Cycle Service? He has a shop set up now just off Hunt Club and can be reached at 613-226-4269. His web-site is Premier Cycle Service

He's highly recommended by our Ottawa BMW club.

That said, I want someone to install it who knows what they're doing, as it's beyond my limited skill

Mark, have you tried Jesse McGrath at Premier Cycle Service? He has a shop set up now just off Hunt Club and can be reached at 613-226-4269. His web-site is Premier Cycle Service

He's highly recommended by our Ottawa BMW club.

Thanks, Gerald. I know Jesse well; he does all the work on my RT (save for warranty, of course), and did all the work on my previous BMWs. While he would do a great job with the bike installation, I suspect he's not the least bit interested in playing around with installing speakers and microphones in helmets, though I haven't asked him that yet directly. I will get Jesse to replace my GPS power cable with a power/audio cable.

He's installing my Zumo once I get my bike back from MSW.

BTW, I'm sure he'd install speakers etc if the $$$'s right smile.gif

I sent him an e-mail asking him thumbsup.gif

I would gladly ride to Ottawa to get my Autocom installed.

Please advise if this is a buddy helping out friends or a dealer interested in getting new customers.

Pat

I would gladly ride to Ottawa to get my Autocom installed.

Please advise if this is a buddy helping out friends or a dealer interested in getting new customers.

Pat

Jesse McGrath is a BMW master technician. He used to be the head tech at the local BMW dealer until about 3-4 years ago, when he and the owner had a falling out. He then set up his own business. Many of the dealer's customers now have their bikes serviced by him. For the first three years on his own he spent the winters working at a big BMW dealer in Australia. In fact, he was factory trained on new models before they even hit dealers here, e.g., the new GS, the new RT etc. He is very meticulous, very professional. Those in the know for miles (kilometers) around go to Jesse to have their BMW serviced, whether routine maintenance, or much bigger jobs. Best part is that you can watch him as he works on your bike, and ask him questions as he goes along. No middle-man to go through etc. It's nice to watch someone who takes pride it what they do, and does it so well. Uses genuine BMW parts etc. etc. That said, I have no idea whether he wants to install an Autocom, but I'll post here when I find out (I've sent him an e-mail).

Archived