IGNORED

Taking the Basic Rider Course... Again

pbbeck

A friend of mine is thinking about buying his first bike. I've advised him about the process of becoming a rider, and he wisely expressed his intent on taking the BRC to earn his endorsement. I began to think how it might be interesting to take the BRC with him, mostly for moral support and for giggles, but do any of you think there is any value in taking the BRC again as an experienced rider?

ShovelStrokeEd

I doubt you would gain much from the range work and reading the advise here will probably get you more information that is applicable to your skills. That course is really "basic".

Absolutely! The basic course is where the fundamentals are discussed. Fundamentals are the heart of training in any endeavor and are worth revisiting.

I get the impression that not all BRC courses are the same, quality-wise, around the country. I think we, in Oregon at least, are fortunate to have excellent rider training. When I took both of my Team Oregon classes there were repeat students. In my BRC there was one guy who came back to take the course every three or four years just so he wouldn't forget.

I think, not only would you benefit, but your friend would benefit by having you there to reinforce the importance of training and for you to help integrate the training into his riding habits.

Mine is another vote for "too basic for an experienced rider"..... the exception would be if you have some really bad head/eye position issues to address...

With that said.... taking the course with your friend is a great idea and I'm sure that it would be appreciated.

Taking the course again may point out some bad habits that you've slipped into. Also, it might enable you to tighten up your slow speed maneuvers. Besides, it's always better to drop their bike than your own if you want to push your limits.

I would think that anything that gets you thinking about safe riding would be worthwhile. It could be your only chance to make an "A" in a class.

After 10+ years of teaching I can honestly say that I have never had a experience rider not at least pick up one good thing to apply to their riding techniques.

We all can improve our riding skills thumbsup.gif

Just go with an open mind you might be surprised. wink.gif

I took the BRC when I re-entered riding a few years ago. I tried to go into it with an open mind. I took it to get back to the basics and get away from bad habits. I was happy I did.

I actually had a lot of fun on the Yumbo 150. It was the lightest motorcycle I've ever ridden. I had loads of fun with a lot of the drills.

I probably got the most out of the emergency braking drills. I thought I could stop pretty quick and efficient. I was wrong. The instructor kept pushing me to haul it down harder and faster.

Take the BRC with an open mind and you will learn. Go into it thinking you are Rossi and your ego will probably get in the way.

Think about going with the ERC. I took it last year and I'm in the second class of the season this year. I plan to take it every spring. Even though I ride through the winter months. It is good for me to polish the basics under the watchful eye of a Rider Coach.

I think supporting your friend is probably more important, but even Tiger Woods practices 3 footers.

I agree--it makes a lot of sense to support your friend. If your goal is to learn, skip it. Spending the day in a parking lot on braking skills will be 10x more valuable.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Took it in '99 when I bought the bike (course fee paid by BMW for buying bike), and it was alright.

Took it again in '02, and really didn't get much out of it.

Good to support your friend though, and you might have fun if both of you are there. I'd suggest you go, but mostly for his benefit; keep your edificatory expectations low.

After 10+ years of teaching I can honestly say that I have never had a experience rider not at least pick up one good thing to apply to their riding techniques.

thumbsup.gif Agree, it is a rare rider who doesn't have some weakness, and that is based on my nearly 10 years as an MSF instructor. I recall an ERC class where the only improvement I could recommend to a student was his position on the footpegs during during the "peanut" exercise. In teaching I noticed that he had an Iron Butt license frame surround -- the next year this same student finished in the top 5 in the IB rally, and holds several LD records. If this rider thought his time was worth taking an ERC, I would suspect that would apply to many other riders. Most of the skills in the ERC are manuevers that need to be practiced under controlled conditions such as a parking lot. And having someone scrutinize your technique can provide valuable feedback - whether you buy into the MSF techniques is up to you.

If you are more interested, you can access the BRC course manual at the MSF website. You can also pick up David Hough's books for additional info.

I started riding in '76, became involved in rider training in '79 . . . and took the MRC in '92, followed later in the year by the ERC.

I can honestly say that those four days dramatically changed my riding and training, both in understanding & skills.

OK, I'm a Brit, and 'our' training style & content is different (would you believe learners don't get taught counter-steering because the Govt. agency in charge don't think it's needed? dopeslap.gif ).

Oh, BTW, in '94 I completed an MSF Instructor Prep course and taught over here!

Thanks, again, to (now ex-) Master Sgt Garth Leonard, Danny Tolentino, and all the other USAF / MSF people who helped and arranged.

So to the thread starter, tell your contact to do both BRC & ERC courses ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It would be great moral support for your friend and I would be positive that you WILL LEARN or bring something back to memory that you may have forgotten or never learned in the first place. I don't think any time spent with the highly trained instructors could be a waste of time. You are a great friend to your buddy to even be considering spending your time and money to be there with him. I think it will help him if he has questions for you after the class and you would have been there to help provide him with your additional knowledge. thumbsup.gif

I appreciate the feedback. My buddy got his permit today. He's registered for teh BRC in Aprile. I not only registered myself for the BRC this week. but my brother, too. It was my birthday gift to him. He is an experienced rider who is self-taught. I figure a little training might help him become a better rider.

motorman587

Yes, you will be see how much you have forgotten, or do the "O-ya" I remember that. Last week I rode up to Atlanta and took the ERC, and I am a Ridercoach. Never told the Ridercoach who was coaching the class who I was until they ask "What kind of work" etc........ They knew sometime was up, which was not until the end of the class. What I learn that day was, I really do not want to live in Atlanta, no really they picked on my looking down. So I worked on that.

Archived