IGNORED

Military Thermals........Anyone use these?

JerryMather

Military Thermals

They're have the price of some of those other ones that I know people have so I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried using these while riding.

The guy that posted this on another site said he's had these on when it was -58 degrees outside. eek.gif

Quit a difference from the cotton long johns I was issued. I like the Patagonia brand stuff. It's a little pricey but very comfortable. Their R-1 line is warm but doesn't get stuffy indoors. Then again, it may be that I'm in a relatively mild environment.

I only got the cotton long johns long, long ago when I was in the military. I have purchased the poly underwear since and like it a lot. I still layer over it, but it does a nice job of keeping me warm. It is not a substitute for electric gear though. I ride when it is pretty cold (17*F is the coldest so far, but very comfortable).

If you like cold weather riding, In my opinion poly is the way to go. Make sure if fits you well. Too loose a fit and you won't get the full insulating benifit. If you put on an elec vest/liner over top make sure you have a variable control to keep things comfortable.

doesn't look a darn thing like the polypro I got issued, ours is toasty though, I have worn the bottoms while riding with good performance, haven't ever tried the shirt...

Looks nothing like my USAF issued Nomex undies!

Polypro, while fine for wicking purposes, has a low melting point, oh, say 300 degrees or so. Therefore, the REAL US Military suggests that their troops wear undies with a 50/50 mix of cotton and wool underneath Nomex over-undies. Nomex has a friendlier melting point of say 700 degrees, but the heat transfer to polypro would cause the polypro to melt - should you find yourself in a midst of a flash fire in your daily riding routine or something.

Just thought you should have all the information you needed without the marketing hype! smirk.gif

Those look thinner than the "Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System" stuff I picked up at Bass Pro on clearance (similar to http://www.soldiercity.com/product-exec/product_id/9843)

For me, not bad stuff, but to be honest it's a bit thick to wear as a base layer and when things get warm it doesn't breathe well. To be honest, my preferred sled gear remains a pair of thin underarmor long sleeve/leg on the bottom, then cotton sweatshirt/sweatpants, then my snowmobile gear. But if it's looking to be a very very cold day, I'll grab the ECWCS stuff instead.

Also I'm not following the instructions either. The ECWCS stuff I have clearly states it was intended for sitting still, more like on a motorcycle than a sled.

I bought a thermal shirt, long-johns and head insulator at my local army surplus store, and have used them for over 3 years now. They were quite inexpensive and work well. I have noticed some "pilling" recently, but this doesn't affect their warmth. They have to be hung dry after washing. I would recommend them, especially for the price.

Jay

If you can't go electric. I'm a firm believer in the military layering insulation. I use it to climb communication tower in the sub-zero temperatures. I do follow the layers of clothing up with the gortex outer parka and pants. This breaks all wind , which is the winter killer.

The layering system will keep you warm as you exert yourself because it transfers moisture to the outer layers.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

when Ryan was in Iraq, I sent him some cold weather items. But he was required to were the marine green (can not remember the real color name) I bought direct from undercover, mainly due to the fact another Marine had them, and they passed inspection. I think they ran about 50% more expensive than the ones you posted, but Ryan did not want to give his commander a reason to put him on latrine duty dopeslap.gif

Got them. Love them. I have the brown issue items. DO NOT dry them as they do melt (mentioned in an earlier post - low melt point). Lived in the things in Bosnia and Kosovo. Took them for the Iraq trips, but did not use.

SOF issues the stuff out. That said, I prefer to go thin polypro under a wool layer. Layering is best.

Archived