IGNORED

Brighter lights on RT?

RoSPA_man

Hi

What are the options to swap out standard headlight bulbs on RT for brighter high wattage ones while still paying homage to the beloved Canbus? What are standard bulbs - 55W ? Can i put in 100W etc ?

I would be more concerned about the extra heat generated by a 100w globe.

I went for a +50% 55w globe in the high beam and it works fine. I left the low beams standard as I tend to get flashed a lot.

I also made sure the light was aimed correctly too...

Hi

What are the options to swap out standard headlight bulbs on RT for brighter high wattage ones while still paying homage to the beloved Canbus? What are standard bulbs - 55W ? Can i put in 100W etc ?

For the UK on a bike first registered on or after 1 July 1986, bulbs must be 'E' marked. 100 watt bulbs are not so marked and have never been legal in the UK - pre '86 the limit was 60Watt. Halfords will sell you a set of extra bright 'E' marked bulbs for about £17 on a BOGOF basis. These make a big difference. You could also go the HID route, 'E' marked units are available and these will wilt the leaves off of trees at 100 yds.

Andy

Survived-til-now

Hi

I have tried the HID, Halfords and PIAA route......

Boffin is of course quite correct about the 100w bulbs and you would probably cause the Canbus to shut them down, that is if you do not fry the wiring (as has been reported elsewhere)

PIAA bulbs are in my personal experience and opinion NOT good value. Although they claim to be 110w equivalent for only 55w draw they cost me £50 for a pair and are no better than the Halfords bulbs that Boffin mentions - and I concur that the Halfords 50% brighter bulbs are worth the money and make a big difference.

HIDs are another matter entirely. I have already reported at length on my expereince with them (do a search on this site). One of the most critical elements in this is what are your reflectors like? Mine seem to concentrate the light into two pools. The left beam goes off left and has a marked flick-up and the right puts its pool of light just right of and closer in than the left beam. The HIDs are so bright that they firstly put a bit too much light into those areas and you lose vision in the other areas of the headlights. Secondly, when banked over the flick-up (or left dip) blinds other drivers who are on inside lanes on dual carriageway and motorway. Boffin is correct that the bulbs are E-rated but you still commit an offence if you dazzle other drivers.

Just recently I have been experimenting with the HIDs. I discovered that by putting a small copper wire around the top spigot of the H7 bulb I can change the arc's postion in the reflector and thus move the beam pattern down very slightly without losing focus. I am hoping that with trial and error I can shift that flick-up down and right thus getting round the dazzle problem. I will report further when I have evaluated the results and tried them out on the road with other traffic.

So I would firstly look closely at your own beam pattern - it may be different from my bike. If you have concentrated pools of light with the low beam pattern then that will be amplified many times with HID lights. If it is an even spread of light and a sharp cut off without a pronounced flick-up to the left then HIDs could be the way for you.

One other thought - I am suspicious about the whole legality of HIDs on non-projector lights. The bulbs may be E-rated but their use may not be rated. I understand that there is legislation on new cars that defines when they can be used (self levelling lights etc) and that there appears to be a grey area about fitting them as aftermarket kits. I am interested that many car manufacturers are actually trying to prevent aftermarket fitouts, I am suspicious that many sellers of these kits mention how easy it is to convert quickly back again to normal and one supplier goes so far as to put in some small print to the effect that the HIDs are for off-road use only. I would like to hear how other riders with after market HIDs have got on at MOT time...........

Hope this info is of use

Andy

I just installed Osram +50 bulbs in my high beam and right side low beam. I haven't had a chance to test them out yet. These bulbs are stock watage but they're supposed to be about 50% brighter. It's my understanding that they don't actually produce more light but that the +50 bulbs are constructed better so that more of the light output is actually usable. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Installing the low beam bulb is certainly a PITA! Whover designed the bulb retaining system and access to the low beam must have been a summer intern, hardly good engineering. I have small hands yet it was extremely difficult to get my hand in far enough to get the bulb in the housing and then keep it in position while securing the retaining spring. Access was also hampered by short wires for the bulb connector coming from different directions which prevented moving the connectors completely out of the way. dopeslap.gif

Survived-til-now

Dave

I am sure I put a thread on this a while back but don't know how to put connections into threads..... dopeslap.gif

Quick tips:

Take off the upper side fairing (only 4 screws) it gives you a better access and sight of what is happening

Use plastic electric tape to hold up the spring out of the way until you are ready to flick it down

Tape the bulb's 12v feed connector and wires out of the way

Get the bulb into approx position from the back and hold it in position and then move to the front and do the rest from underneath flicking off the tape with one finger to allow the spring to drop whilst holding the bulb in with another

I have had bulbs in and out several times, still skin my knuckles but reckon this method saves time and is easiest in the end.

Phillips now has two lights a +50 and +80 that are replacements for the stock bulbs. I know the +50's are well liked by some. If the +80s are as good they could be an easy and relatively cheap way to get more light.

Last time I looked they were out of stock of them at

www.powerbulbs.co.uk

I plan to replace my stock bulbs with the Phillips units to get a little more light without too much fuss. I also have to say that I am not unhappy with the output of the stock lights. The lights are good enough that when I ride at night I rarely find myself wishing for brighter units.

I installed HIDs using the existing wiring. I have driven over 10K miles with them and I enjoy the output. On occasion, when starting and the engine stumbles a bit, only one light fires up, I get the bulb out icon. A quick restart solves the problem. While they take more power than stock while igniting, they draw less in operation. I carry the old bulbs just in case but haven't needed them. $210 US

If HID's are wired simalar to stock units, selecting low beam before start up prevents the head lamps from coming on until the engine fires to life. Just a thought. thumbsup.gif LEON 05RT

Archived