IGNORED

Hyper or no

luf

Has anyone pruchased the Hyper-light brake light enhancement kit?? They claim that it won't affect the CANBUS. I wanted to know if anyone else that had CANBUS had tried the Hyper-light. I have 7 years of warranty on my bike, and I would sure hate to void my warranty because of a problem caused by the Hyper-lights. Thanks for any info or help.

Jimster confused.gif

Ken,

you are right, they should work fine.

However, if an aftermarket part causes a problem, the dealer may choose not to warranty the problem, if it has been caused by the addition of that part.

A dealer may choose to "WARRANTY" an issue and go to bat for you w/BMWNA with a problem caused by the addition of an aftermarket item. But, it is up to the dealer and some will not go there.

Caveat Emptor.

I wish I knew what the definitive answer to this question. My dealer claims to have had to send two sets of Hyperlites for the R1200RT back because they caused with the CANBUS diagnostics. confused.gif

Please pardon this reply not addressing your problem. I know how frustrating that can be.

I'm guessing some of us are curious about the details of your 7 years of coverage.

Thanks

They address this on their web page:

"Hyper-Lite Kits safe with BMW’s new ABS servo systems and CAN bus systems!!

"We've put Hyper-Lite brake enhancement kits on hundreds of BMWs with the new brake system, and had several put through the mill by BMW techs. Hyper-Lite kits DO NOT AFFECT THE NEW ABS SENSOR SYSTEMS IN ANY WAY. We're just too danged efficient. Our 280 milliamp current draw is well under the amperage necessary to trigger the sensors.

"The BMW CAN bus system uses 2.4 volts for the running light and 13.9 volts for the brake light. Since the 2.4 volts is too low to activate our control flasher, we use the single CAN bus wire to activate our LED brake lights, which act seamlessly with the bike's system. Our running lights are activated by using a spare accessory wire.

"So if you are the proud owner of a new BMW do not hesitate order your new Hyper-Lite kit."

RocksforBrains

I am looking at putting them on my 2005 12RT as well. Is there any splicing required at all, or do the wires just connect at standard connection points?

RocksforBrains

Also, are hyperlites pretty visible in daylight (more visible than the standard brakelight), or is the benefit mainly when it is dark?

I may be one of the 2 in Austin who tried the hyper-lights and returned it. The problem I encountered was that the lights would stay on for somewhere between a couple of minutes to about 1/2 hr. after shutting down the bike (not an option for me).

I have the NAV II and the BMW alarm. Don't know if that's related, but the NAV would also stay on for the same amount. When I removed the hyper-lights, things went back to normal.

The instructions said to connect (in-line splice) into the spare accessory socket (red/green wire going to accessory socket in rear of the bike). Is there another accessory socket besides the one for the charger?

I may be one of the 2 in Austin who tried the hyper-lights and returned it. The problem I encountered was that the lights would stay on for somewhere between a couple of minutes to about 1/2 hr. after shutting down the bike (not an option for me).

I have the NAV II and the BMW alarm. Don't know if that's related, but the NAV would also stay on for the same amount. When I removed the hyper-lights, things went back to normal.

The instructions said to connect (in-line splice) into the spare accessory socket (red/green wire going to accessory socket in rear of the bike). Is there another accessory socket besides the one for the charger?

I think there's a third accessory lead somewhere but I'm not sure. I wonder if there's a problem with the hyperlights, NavII and alarm playing well with each other? confused.gif

I know some have said they have done this successfully but at least one person reported that tapping into the diagnostic plug caused problems with the computer on the bike. Removing the connection immediately cleared the problems. I personally would be leery of hooking anything up to something that is effectively plugged directly into the electronic heart of your bike.

I wonder if tapping into the power for the diagnostic interface is an option. It supposedly goes off immediately when the key is turned off.link to thread

There is no splicing with Hyper Lites. It uses existing spade connectors on the terminals in the light housing itself and a couple of wires that you insert into connectors that sqeeze together. And yes, they are very visible in the daylight hours. It could not be any easier install. About 15-20 minutes start to finish.

So, for the non- tech guy, is it a self do project? ?

thanks

I can speak to that. I am absolutely not a tech guy. I take pride in being able to put gas in the tank by myself. Yet even I was able to install the Hyer-Lites by myself on an '05 RT. You CAN do it!

Absolutely Dave. It is a very easy project to do yourself. If you can distinguish between a brown wire and a black wire you are good to go. I mounted mine on the underside of the luggage rack directly above my turn signal lights. They are out of the way and won't get knocked loose. I then run the wires down each aluminum leg that supports the luggage rack so there is no chance of pinching the wires. The wires then run into the light housing where they are attached. Some folks like to mount the LED's on either side of the license plate. I like mine up high. To each his own. Have fun with your installation. It is a piece of cake.

Sorry I cannot provide pics right now. I just changed computers and have not transferred all of the data yet including all of my pictures.

If you guys want to see some pics of my Hyper Lites and where they are mounted send me your email address, I just switched back to my Dell computer for a few days. Better yet why don't you add your email address to your profile information.

There is no splicing with Hyper Lites. It uses existing spade connectors on the terminals in the light housing itself and a couple of wires that you insert into connectors that sqeeze together. And yes, they are very visible in the daylight hours. It could not be any easier install. About 15-20 minutes start to finish.

I'll add that that the problem I had was with the Hyper lites dual function (i.e., running lites plus brake flashing function). And yes, I had to tap into the accessory socket, in addition to connecting to the existing spade connectors on the housing itself. Perhaps the problem had to do with the dual function 16 LED only. I did not try the single function.

I have the 16 LED / Dual Function on my '05 R12RT and had no issues at all with the CANBUS. I did have to splice into the accessory plug to get power, but every other plug is just plug-n-play with existing connectors. The pics on the Hyperlites site are of my bike:

http://www.hyperlites.com/r1200rtpics.html

They are quite bright even in daytime, and folks following me have commented that it is like following an F1 car in the rain when we're on very twisty roads (if we're riding aggressively enough to need some brake coming into the corners and not just rolling through).

So, just to get this straight. The accessory socket tap is for the running lights and the brake light connection is for the brake light? Is that correct?

Archived