IGNORED

Pilot Roads or Metlzeler 880's ?

Penrod

2004 R1150RT / 275 lb rider / one-up 99% of the time / mild rider (not a twisty junky)/ Riding in SoCal so mild to hot temps. Which one should I get????

try out the new Avon Storms and be a guinea pig for the rest of us. A few guys have tried them and liked them, but we could always use more input. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

try out the new Avon Storms and be a guinea pig for the rest of us. A few guys have tried them and liked them, but we could always use more input. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'll be putting them on in April.

I just sold my RC heli, so I think I am buying a MC lift thumbsup.gif

I would have inclued the Avon Storms as a choice, but no one locally has them in stock. I guess I could go a bit farther on the current tires (Pilot Roads) until there's feedback on the Storms. What are they supposed to offer that makes them "better"?

Alien_Hitchhiker

I'm currently running my first set of the 880s. At 8000 miles thay still look good. If you're looking for a long wearing tire, I'd say give them a try.

I've read all the threads I could find on tires and see that the 880's are one of several that are favored for the 1150RT. Mileage has been a strong point, are there any negative points??

Some people report that the 880 is less sticky in the wet than some of the more sport oriented tires like the Z6, Pilot Road, and Avon Azaro. It's definitely the mileage winner.

I've read all the threads I could find on tires and see that the 880's are one of several that are favored for the 1150RT. Mileage has been a strong point, are there any negative points??

Yes, you can get stupid on any of the regular sport touring tires, i.e. Pilot Roads, Z-6 Roadtecs, Avons, etc, and generally come out OK provided the road is clean. In other words, it's virtually impossible to low-side an RT because it will run out of cornering clearance before you run out of tire if no sand, gravel, oil/fluids enter the equation.

With the 880's, the grip is good, but not AS good (harder rubber for longer life means harder rubber with slightly less grip). So, while you may still have plenty of lean angle left in the tire, if you push them hard enough, you can get them to slip on clean asphalt.

Now, based on the description above, if you're not riding like a hoon, you can do quite nicely on 880's. I've seen mileage as high as 15-16,000. Of course that has as much to do with the specified asphalt type in the state and counties in which you ride as it does with how you ride. Every county/state is different and the grades of asphalt, and their abrasiveness, varies.

Thanks for the indepth explaination Fernando! What about the daily ride, will the 880's be any louder or rougher riding since they're harder rubber?

My riding style is similar to yours. Here is what I've observed as far as mileage on my 97 RT.

Type Start End Miles

Metzler Z4 0 10,518 10,518

Dunlop 205 10,518 21,666 11,148

B'stone BT54 21,666 32,400 10,734

Pilot Roads 32,400 43,573 11,173

ME 880 43,573 52,200 8,627

B'stone BT54 52,200 62,041 9,250 still about 1K miles left.

I was surprized with the mileage of the 880s. They are the radial 880s, not the bias ply. Must have been the roads in N. Dakota, Montana and Wyoming. Who knows. My riding was the same. I square off my tires before I wear out the sides.

I had the same experience with the 880's and the riding was done in Montana, Wyoming and Canada riding solo. I think it has a lot to do with the coarse chip seal on the two lane highways up there. The miles I got on the 880's were almost identical to yours. The Z6's have been the best for me so far. Working on a Dunlop 205 now.

I wore out two sets of PRs and they both gave good mileage but the more they wore, the noiser they got. I'm talking howl, like a bearing was going. I'm about to replace my first set of 880s with another set. High mileage and quiet. I'm not a pedal scraper but I do get into the corners. Also, I haven't noticed them being more slippery in the rain. And the front tire doesn't cup nearly as much with high miles.

I'm stickin' with the Metzelers. thumbsup.gif

I also think 880s do not like chip seal. My 04 RT came with Z6s, followed by two sets of Pilot Roads (early departure on a front PR as I put a bit of a gash in the tire clipping a sharp stone in a turn), a pair of 880s, and now just installed PRs again. The 880s deliverd about 100 more miles on the front (7600 vs. 7500) and 300 more on the rear; hardly any difference at all. I do like the feel of the bike while riding on the PRs and since I always wear earplugs the noise from the tires doesn't bother me. It only appears during a turn (the 880s sing a song as well, but not as loudly).

I run the ME880's in the Texas Hill Country...mild to HOT weather on very coarse chip and seal roads. I am a hoonish rider eek.gif when out with my Monday morning crew (and Deb's not on the back!) and never had a problem with them thumbsup.gif

Front tire looks waaay better with 6k on it than the OE Dunlop 205's (which were scalloped and run mainly on tarmac/concrete "Up North") and the rear looks to have about 1500 miles or so left in it (right wrist dependent grin.gif).

I am also curious about the Avons but I can only speak as I find and the ME880's have done sterling work given the road conditions and twisties around here thumbsup.gif

I may be one of the earliest fans of the ME880. I started using them on my R1100RT, using a 17" K1200 wheel on the rear. Yes, first off the mileage. I get about 50% more then on Z6 or similar. Riding 30 to 40K a year that helps. Traction: I had them on the track (VIR) with Reg Pridmore's CLASS. In the turns with butt slightly shifted on the seat, body slightly leaned in ("biting the mirrors"), pegs occasionally touching - no peg feelers. Full throttle out of turns - yes, only 90hp on the R1100RT. Absolutely no sign of letting go. The rear tire ended up with a nice blue heat stripe about 1" inside the right tread edge. Good enough for me. They may be a bit more slippery in the wet then others. I don't push it in the wet. The ride is a bit harsher than the softer tires. One of the nicest things about them that even well worn they handle very nicely, not following lines or getting uneven on turn-in. Did I say I like them?

I'm with Paul on the 880's. I had them on my K100RT and my R1150RT....no handling or traction problems, great mileage and they don't get squirrelly as they get more miles on them.

Alright guys. I keep hearing about mileage and handling of the 880's. A friend gave a ME880 front tire that has about 2K-3K miles left on it so I plan to buy the rear tire and see how they compare. In the past year I have ridden quite a lot and ended up buying two sets of tires with average mileage per set at 5.7K miles. With the average set costing $270 OTD it is getting a bit expensive. It sure would be nice to get more mileage than that out a set of tires.

Phil

The tire was removed from his LT back in August 06 when he crashed in Deals Gap. I am not sure how he came to have it after the accident but he gave it to me a couple of months ago. The size is a 120/70B17.

After reading every post I could find on tires, I bought a set of 880s. I've put on a bit under 1,000 miles on them so far and have been pleased. I've had some riding in the rain, and even worse, very heavy fog/dew. Like Paul said, I'm not going to push it in those conditions anyway, but I'm also not going drive like I'm on ice. They haven't given any indication that they are "loose" in wet conditions.

They did greatly improve my handling and feel over the squared-off rear/worn-on-left-side front. (It's amazing what round tires will do for you! thumbsup.gif)

Keith, You may want to check that LT tire to see if it's a bias ply or radial tire. My friend has 880s on his LT and they are bias ply. I run 880s on my RT and they are radial. BTW, I got 9K on my Pilot Roads and currrently have 10K on my 880s and still have a comfortable 2K left on them. I'll probably go with another set of 880s. clap.gif

Phil

The tire was removed from his LT back in August 06 when he crashed in Deals Gap. I am not sure how he came to have it after the accident but he gave it to me a couple of months ago. The size is a 120/70B17.

In 120/70B17 the "B" means belted. They are standard issue on the K1200LT. It would work, but they are rough riding, stiffer than the radials. I would stay away from it unless really necessary. The front tire for the RT would be a 120/70VR17.

Glockster: If the Pilot Roads are the only tires you ever used, it is hard for you to compare it to others. They are fine tires, but not the only ones in the world grin.gif

Yeah I know the B means belted. Just can't see throwing a perfectly good tire away with at least 2K-3K or more miles on it. My thought was I have the front why not just order the rear and see how it handles. Worse case scenario is it handles like hell so I buy the front to match.

Eff

The only tires I would run on my K11RS were Michelins after trying Metzlers and Dunlops. They always gave me great handling and mileage. I am so curious about the ME880's I am going to have to try a pair. Once that evaluation is done I may try some Pilots. Thanks for your input.

Just put on the 3rd set of PR's yesterday in prep for Texas. I liked my Metzlers a lot but to me the one thing about them I didn't like is the fact when they go, they go out fast. This last pair of tires had to get me to Gleno's Memorial service which meant an additional 900 miles on them. Had I had Metzlers in the same state, I would have taken my Chrysler. Not saying that is always the case, but it was a reason that I have now gotten Michelins again for the RT. Being that big of a guy, you should get good stick on the tire since more of it is on the road.

Good Luck

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

My experience is the same as Paul's although I think he is a more spirited rider than I am. I currently use a Z6/880 combo on my R1100RT and I think it works great. The bike feels very nimble on turn ins. I have noticed a little noise when turning on some roads. Have never lost any traction when in the rain or when cold but I don't push it in the rain either. Currently my mileage is 12000 on this set and they still have some miles left. About 3000 I'm guessing. I came up with the combo idea because that is what many airhead riders did with the lazer/marathons which was tried and proven. I got 18000 miles back then.

My experience is the same as Paul's although I think he is a more spirited rider than I am. I currently use a Z6/880 combo on my R1100RT and I think it works great. The bike feels very nimble on turn ins. I have noticed a little noise when turning on some roads. Have never lost any traction when in the rain or when cold but I don't push it in the rain either. Currently my mileage is 12000 on this set and they still have some miles left. About 3000 I'm guessing. I came up with the combo idea because that is what many airhead riders did with the lazer/marathons which was tried and proven. I got 18000 miles back then.

Being a noob to combo sets of tires, Z6 front and 880 rear? I would like to hear more about this.

Charles Elms

Any difference in milage between the bias 880 that would fit a K bike rear wheel and the new radial 880 that will fit a standard 1100 rear wheel?

Paul Mihalka
Any difference in milage between the bias 880 that would fit a K bike rear wheel and the new radial 880 that will fit a standard 1100 rear wheel?
On my R1100RT with a 17" K1200 rear wheel I was using the bias belted ME880 for many-many thousand miles because the radials were not out yet. I would estimate that the mileage of the bias-belted ones was 10 to 20% higher than radials, but the ride is more harsh. Now I prefer the radials.

Charles,

Like Paul, I installed a K1200RS rear wheel on my '96 R1100RT so I could use the Bias ply ME-880's. I love 'em.

I've even done track days with these tires and they stick great.

The radials also start out with a bitt less tread (6.5mm) where the Bias Ply ones start at 9mm of tread depth.

Mick

Archived