IGNORED

Tires for 5 - 7K trip to Torrey?

Endobob

OK I know tires, mileage, etc have been discussed many times before, however, any of you KRS/GT riders have any thoughts on a set of tires that might get me from DC to Torrey and back in May? I figure it will be about 5.000 miles out and back plus another 1500 or so during our 4 days in and around Torrey. It would be nice to make the trip on a single set of tires. I don't want to find myself without rubber as many of you know happened to me at El Paseo III. dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Just about any of the lauded sport touring tires will make that trip with no problems.

I would consider stopping in someplace like Salt Lake City or Denver, depending on routing and having new tires fitted there. That way you'll have nice fresh rubber for Torrey and won't have to go to the bother of changing tires when you get back.

Any sport touring tire will get you from DC to Torrey and back. There is one caveat however, it depends on how hard you ride Sweeper Madness. One of the finest 42 miles I have ridden at a stepped up pace let's just say. I will let you be the judge of that ride/route.

Just in case, Bob and I will ride together to Torrey and I stop for no worn tires. If he wears out his tires he is on his own! grin.gif

That is COLD! And to think in another post I called you my favorite "mentors" grin.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Bob, I wore out a set of Metzler M-1s on the S bike going to the Un... had to replace them 1/2 way back... Utah roads, soft compounds, 100 degree weather, and 100+ for 100 miles and they were gooo....I made it another 700 miles to Austin.. they had a tire waiting on me...

Just mounted Michelin Pilot Roads on the GT....I will mount new ones on the S the week before Torrey....I eat

Z-6s in 5-6000 miles....

Bob, I wore out a set of Metzler M-1s on the S bike going to the Un... had to replace them 1/2 way back... Utah roads, soft compounds, 100 degree weather, and 100+ for 100 miles and they were gooo....I made it another 700 miles to Austin.. they had a tire waiting on me...

Just mounted Michelin Pilot Roads on the GT....I will mount new ones on the S the week before Torrey....I eat

Z-6s in 5-6000 miles....

Calvin - I have never gotten more than 6K on Metz 4's or 6's. I have a set of Pilot Roads on my KRS now (4K) and suspect they will not do much more than 6K. I'll put a new set on before leaving for Torrey, however, after aggressive riding while in Torrey will likely need to stop for tires on the way back. As you may have noted above my riding partner (Old Fart) may not have much patience for any "Tire delays". grin.gif

Just in case, Bob and I will ride together to Torrey and I stop for no worn tires. If he wears out his tires he is on his own! grin.gif

That is COLD! And to think in another post I called you my favorite "mentors" grin.gif

Take it as part of my "mentoring" smile.gif

Paul

I definitely want YOU as my wing man. NOT!!

Hey Bob you can always bunjee a set of tires on the back of your bike if you are worried about it. You may look like Jethro on the way over but what the hell. At least you will have fresh rubber.

Paul

I definitely want YOU as my wing man. NOT!!

I'm sorry if I come across a bit rough, and it was partially tongue in cheek. But having to stop for new tires on a 7,000 mile trip is lack of preparation or wrong choice of tires. Having a worn out tire when traveling means change of routing and loosing most of a day. I would have no problem of stopping and/or doing anything needed if it is a damaged tire or any other unforseeable problem.
Calvin  (no socks)

Doc, send a new pair out to Killer's place... UPS. If you need to change before you leave for home, we will have a tech day in the parking lot of the Chuck Wagon! After hours of course... not to interfere with the riding! That is a plan...

Bob, I've ridden with you,better take 2 sets grin.gifgrin.gif

When I did Torrey two years ago I had to stop at Salt Lake for hoops but we did about 8500 miles then.

I'd recommend riding out to Denver or even Grand Junction, get a fresh set and ride. The chip and stone roads aka Rt 12 will eat tires fast and if you want to keep your wing man in sight you best have fresh stuff thumbsup.gif

If you plan on getting a set on the road be sure to call and set it up. both bmw Denver and Lakewood havegotten me in and out in under two hours. Paul can take a nap.

As a high jack of sorts, my tire supplier told me that prices have shot up on rubber so I can expect a $50.00 increase on a pair next time around eek.gifeek.gif Buying tires on the road can be more expensive too. Hey life is short buy and be safe and happy. wave.gifwave.gif

If the tires you have will get you out there....

just buy a new bike out there and skip the tire change. wave.gif

Oh wait, that won't work either.

Paul won't want to ride w/a new bike during break-in. grin.gif

If the tires you have will get you out there....

just buy a new bike out there and skip the tire change. wave.gif

Let's take it easy on Paul. He is the best mentor/riding partner I have ever had the pleasure to share time with!

Calvins idea of a "Tire Changing Tech Evening" at the Chuck Wagon sounds like a good idea for those of us that have a couple of thousand mile commute one way. thumbsup.gif

And a 600 mile service the next morning! smile.gif
Doc, send a new pair out to Killer's place... UPS. If you need to change before you leave for home, we will have a tech day in the parking lot of the Chuck Wagon! After hours of course... not to interfere with the riding! That is a plan...

+1

I've been saying this for awhile now and Bob won't mind storing them for ya. As a matter of fact, I suggested that a few members all throw down twenty bucks each to have a set of spares their at all times. Unfortunately, it never got done.

Go ahead and ask Russell how much fun it was riding over to Colo. & back on Sat. because he went up there on questionable tires one year.

I too made the mistake one year and rode up there without a fresh set of rubber. Fortunately I was in St. George when I discovered that the steel cords were exposed and was able to get back to Gleno's without a problem.

Never again will I go up there without a new set of tires, those roads are like one big belt sander.

Hi,

If you don't have the (180)bigger rear tire,then Metzler 880's are the distance champs.

Can routinely get 10-12k+ out of a set,even on the slab.

Not the best handling tire,but still competent.

JR356

05 R12GS

98 K12RS

Not sure the 880s are available in 02 K12RS size. I recommend Avon ST, Michelin Pilot Roads, or Mezzler Z6.

These Pre-05 K12's get the least miles per tire of any BMW that I know of, so better tune out those "R" guys for this post. Especially the older guys residing in Maryland...

Whatever tire set you use I predict it will be bald on the front tire on the left-ish side with slight cupping, and barely passable and flat on the rear tire when you roll back into DC. You can ride it like that as long as you take it a little easier.

My impression of these tires, and I have used all 3 on a K12RS, is:

Avon - great value, weak in wet/cold weather, long(est?) range

Pilot Road - good value, good handling, wears a ridge in the front tire that changes the feel after 4k miles or so

Z6 - priciest of the 3 usually, best handling in Torrey, worn out but ridable by DC return.

YMMV

Archived