IGNORED

jumper posts for 1150 RT 2004

meago68

I have no idea where the jumpstart posts are. I have found the shinny one. IS this the negative? if so where is the positive. I read the thread about bringing road assistance and that was my story in 2005 to the tee. Help please. My battery is not completely dead. IT cranks a couple of times and then dies

Suited up yesterday to take a ride to get some work supplies.

Fired it up and headed down the driveway.

Once out I hit the kill to go shut the gate. Back on and click click... no start.

I guess I'm not going anywhere. Pushed it back up the driveway and took off my gear. No riding today.

So yeah it needs a charge. Seats off and remove all the top most screws on the right side bodywork including the 3 by the foot peg and under around dash /mirror.

That give just enough leeway to pop up the plastic to get at the positive pole

then I hooked up the alligator clips to the pos neg of bat with battery tender.

When on the side of the road you can use a nice broad flat head screwdriver with the jump clamped to it to get to the pos.

I charged the bat over night to full charge and I went out today... all day.

I'm looking to get a new bat as it is time.

I have found the shinny one. IS this the negative? if so where is the positive.
By "shinny one" are you referring to this one under the seat?

18260849-M.jpg

If so, that is the positive. The negative is down low on the left side cylinder head, near the starter.

You 1150 guys are lucky! I have to dig under all the plastic to get to this on the 1100 thus my post above....

Tony, go to your dealer and for a few greenbacks (are the new ones still green?).... you can buy the positive post and install it in the 1100

After I had a battery go south on me, I purchased a new gel battery and a tender to go with it. While making a plug to go into the side of the bike (sorry, don't know the proper name), I made another one with large lugs onto which I could connect jumper cables. Much easier than trying to get to the battery or an auxillary jump start post.

Don_Eilenberger
The positive terminal is located on the right rear of the battery. It's covered by a rubber boot (removed in the attached picture).
Interesting - on my '04 RS - the post (same one, same cover) is located right on the starter cover - it connects directly to the starter positive post. Even easier to get to - no need to remove anything except the rubber cover..

It consists of PN 3, 4, 5 and 6 in: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...hg=12&fg=15

Would seem simple to retrofit to ANY oilhead..

Interesting - on my '04 RS
Yeah, on an RT you can't get to the starter with the tupperware on, so they put the post under the seat.

As mentioned any R11XXxx can be retrofitted with the positive post.

Last year at the Bike Show in Chicago, A&S Cycle had a booth that was selling them, it was only $25.00 I don't know if there is another US distributor, but I think that there has to be some one that carries them.

• 1 month later...

+1 on this system. I installed one when I put the battery in this spring. Already had to use it as battery would not hold a charge. Really nice to pop off the seat and hook up the jumpers.

Don

Suited up yesterday to take a ride....

click click...

no start.....

I guess I'm not going anywhere.....

I'm looking to get a new bat as it is time.

Has the previous owner of said bike offered to step up to the plate on this issue confused.gif

lurker.giflurker.gif

Very cool on the BS10 part! Might put that on a wish list in the future... For anyone not wanting to spend the $25 or whatever on the OEM post (although that's probably the way to go, but I'm cheap... grin.gif), you can also make your own for about $0.00, +/-. I took a short piece of 3/8" copper tubing and hammered it flat. Took the left side tupperware off and the battery out, and played with bending it until it comes out under the seat in essentially the same location as the post on the '04 RT. Drill it, clamp it on the battery + post. Took some heat shrink and good electirical tape (Scotch 33) and wrapped it up so there's little chance of a short on anything. Took a wirenut and slid over the end just in case I ever have to use it, I can trim the heat shrink back, jump it/someone else, and then cap the 'post' with the wirenut. Sounds rigged, but it turned out nice. And did I mention cheap? One time removing the tupperware to jump ol' Silver was all I needed.

I did something similar. Made it easier to connect the existing cables with the added benefit of reaching the posts by removing the seat.

ea25cbac.jpg

I did something similar. Made it easier to connect the existing cables with the added benefit of reaching the posts by removing the seat.

That's nice.... BUT it looks like your positive 'post' is *really* close to the battery cage. Is that just the photo? If memory serves, that frame is metal..I'd just be a little concerned, but it may be the photo. Nice job though, very clean! thumbsup.gif

.... BUT it looks like your positive 'post' is *really* close to the battery cage

Funny you should point that out. I noticed that too...in the picture...after it was posted. Thanks for pointing that out -- worth a second look.

"Upon further review...."it was the angle of the shot. The flattened pipe is outward and upward from the cage. Even if it bent back against the battery, it wouldn't touch. Things could jostle around in there though and I really should insulate one or the other "...the play stands." thumbsup.gif

harleyjohn45

there is an accessory plug on the dash of my r1100rt. it is always hot, so i bought a 5.00 male plug and a 4.95 harbor freight battery maintainer. after each ride i just plug it in. my bike is always ready to go. i suspect you could charge another bike battery using this plug with a jumper wire with the male plug on each end.

Archived