IGNORED

Dual Sporting

Richard_D

I just picked up an XR650L . What tires do you dual sport riders prefer? I'm new to this kind of riding and not sure how much street or dirt I'll be on. Thanks.

I just picked up an XR650L . What tires do you dual sport riders prefer? I'm new to this kind of riding and not sure how much street or dirt I'll be on. Thanks.

There's lots of good choices. If you think you'll be favoring the 'dirt side", then the continental TKC-80 is good. I run them in summer on my GS. In winter, when I'm more on pavement, I use Michelin Anakee's. The Michelin's give me about 7k miles, the Conti's only about 3.5k.

Go over to the Adventure Rider's Forum and check around there for more specifics about tires for your 650.

I think I've narrowed it down to the most agressive dirt D.O.T tire or strictly a dirt tire like my favorite S12's. Florida has alot of deep sand and I'd just slow down on the street. I think it's between the Dunlop 606, Pirelli MT21 or Kenda trackmaster K760. Does anyone know if the D.O.T. tires would last longer than the strictly dirt S12's from Michellin or is it just hype. The knobs don't look too much different. I read everything ADVrider has but just wanted the opinions from the old reliable group I'm used to hearing from. P.S. Thanks Tim, I think I'll move up to the AA class just from what you said. grin.gif

Richard, you don't want S12 tires on the bike if it's going to be on much pavement at all. That's way too aggressive for a bike that'll see mild dirty but mainly pavement. grin.gif

That's way too aggressive for a bike that'll see mild dirty but mainly pavement. grin.gif

Oh, you bad boy. grin.gif A birthday boy at that. wave.gif

Richard, I'll have to plug the Pirelli MT21. It's an excellent DOT legal sand and mud tire which does "OK" on the road (none of the knobbies are very good on the road with the exception of the TKC80). If you are planning on mostly dirt, it's definately worth looking at.

As for the Anakee? It's a nice road tire which can work on dry dirt roads, but is absolutely helpless in the mud.

As for the Anakee? It's a nice road tire which can work on dry dirt roads, but is absolutely helpless in the mud.

Sounds like a technique issue to me. smile.gif

Sounds like a technique issue to me. smile.gif

Well, none that I would admit to. blush.gif

wink.gif

I just switched from the TKC80s to the Metz Karoos on my KLR because SWMotoTire was out of TKS80s. BIG mistake!! Although they seem ok on the dirt, the just beat me to death on the road. The TKC80s are very quiet and handle well on the road and seem as good as any D.O.T. in the dirt. Most "dual sport" riders typically say 50/50 but in fact if they kept track of where they rode, it would be closer to 70/30 road. It may be 50/50 in time, but not in miles. IMHO,

jlt

If you do decide to go with a very dirt oriented tire like the MT21 or D606, I can say that the D606 last probably ten times better than the MT21. I don't know why, but it does.

I have worn out a new MT21 rear in one weekend to the point that it was time to throw it away. OTOH, I've seen D606's last through 2K mile DS trips and still look pretty good.

=> I am not going to ever buy an MT21 again.

--

Mikko

Archived