IGNORED

Another question regarding lowering an R1200RT

ChrisRappl

Does anyone know the linkage rate on an R1200RT? If not, can anyone who has lowered their suspension tell me how much shorter a shock they installed and how much it lowered the seat height? I am also interested in how much needs to be taken off of the side and centerstands. Thanks in advance for any help.

Does anyone know the linkage rate on an R1200RT? If not, can anyone who has lowered their suspension tell me how much shorter a shock they installed and how much it lowered the seat height? I am also interested in how much needs to be taken off of the side and centerstands. Thanks in advance for any help.

when we have had shocks built to lower the bikes we just old the builder how much we needed the bike lowered

the last wset was built by wilbers Klaus was very good to deal with and did a fine job, someplace i might have the different in length of the shocks for that set, but they were for a R1200GS the RT we did last i did not keep the measurements

I'm sure Klaus could tell you, butlike i siad we needed the bike lowered I told him it needed to be 2" and it was just about at 2"

the sidestand you will not cut 2" ytou won;t even cut the center stand a full 2" I might have those measurements but unless you are working with the same side stand and center stand and heights it will do you no good,

just remember when you go to mark them to measure the distance 90 degree with the bike standing upright put the mark on the sidestand with it extended the distance you lower the bike, i actually cut 1/4" ;ess on the GS and the bike sitts a tad more upright

Thanks for the reply. My first choice is to try to modify the existing WP ESA shock(s). I am talking with Traxxion Suspension outside of Atlanta about shortening the existing shock(s) and they asked if I could find out the linkage rate. They are not sure if the WP ESA shocks can be disassembled for modification and have asked me to send them a shock for inspection. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a set of standard takeoffs so that I can send mine in and still be able to ride the bike. Probably would be easier to find an ESA takeoff, but, I don't think that there are any available. My concerns with replacing the stock shocks with aftermarket is that I would give up the nicely integrated ESA control and I have heard that some of the aftermarket shocks don't allow for easy change of preload from solo to 2-up riding. I might be wrong on this, but aren't some setup with a fixed spring rate based upon the rider's weight. If so, how do you compensate for a passenger and additional load? One good thing that should come of this is that if they find that they can be disassembled and modified, then they should also be rebuildable. Maybe someone already knows if they are, but, I have not read anything definitive regarding this.

One good thing that should come of this is that if they find that they can be disassembled and modified, then they should also be rebuildable. Maybe someone already knows if they are, but, I have not read anything definitive regarding this.

Chris, I had a quote from these people in the UK for a strip-down and refurbishment of my ESA shocks.

One good thing that should come of this is that if they find that they can be disassembled and modified, then they should also be rebuildable. Maybe someone already knows if they are, but, I have not read anything definitive regarding this.

Chris, I had a quote from these people in the UK for a strip-down and refurbishment of my ESA shocks.

Whoops - forgot the link - and to mention that I live in the UK.

http://www.wpsuspension.co.uk/

John,

That's good news. My discussions with WP has not been productive. What they have communicated with me is that they will not modify or rebuild the ESA shock. They are under contract to provide these to BMW. I can only guess that BMW made it part of the contract that WP is not allowed to do anything to the ESA shocks except provide them to BMW. They do state the following "WP Suspension does indeed build them, and it's our policy

that every damper is rebuildable/servicable".

Attached below is the thread of e-mails to date with the factory.

Chris,

Since BMW has the rights and it's legally a BMW product, we are simply not able and/or allowed to modify the products. So unfortunately we cannot help you.

Sorry.

Regards,

J. Troost

WP Customer Service

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----

> Van: Chris Rappl [mailto:chrisrappl@nc.rr.com]

> Verzonden: woensdag 13 december 2006 22:51

> Aan: troost john

> Onderwerp: Re: Message from www.wpsuspension.com

>

>

> John,

>

> I'm not concerned about wear or replacement. I'm

> interested in knowing

> if the suspension can be modified to lower my ride height by

> 2" or more. If

> this is something that you can do for me, please let me know

> how to proceed.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Chris Rappl

>

>

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: "troost john" <john.troost@wpsuspension.com>

> To: <chris@rapplselectric.com>

> Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:00 AM

> Subject: RE: Message from www.wpsuspension.com

>

>

>

> MR Rappl,

>

> WP Suspension does indeed build them, and it's our policy

> that every damper

> is rebuildable/servicable.

> However: the dampers are an OEM product. This means that the

> dampers are the

> full responsability of BMW Motorcycles and are made to the

> specs that BMW

> wants therm to be.

> If you need anything done to the dampers, it has to be done by BMW,

> otherwise you will loose the guarantee on your damper.

> Therefore questions about wear and replacement can also only

> be done by BMW

> Motorcycles, since WP is not directly responsible for these dampers.

>

> regards,

>

> WP Customer Service

>

>

> > Name: Chris

> > Surname: Rappl

> >

> > Make: BMW

> > Type: R1200RT

> > Year: 2006

> > Message: I have the factory ESA system which I believe is

> > your product. I need to lower my ride height by 2" if

> > possible. Can the ESA shocks be modified at the factory?

> > submit: Send

> >

> >

>

>

It is indeed a very silly argument.

WP sell EXACTLY THE SAME DAMPERS as an after-market add-on for the R1200GS. I am sure that WP would have no problem in rebuilding those.

So are there any product liability issues in WP rebuilding a BMW shock? or even if Brembo rebuily my brake calipers?

Well I thought that I had a shop that was willing and able to help lower the factory ESA suspension until I received this E-mail:

Chris,

I talked to our lead tech about your situation, and he really doesn’t like rebuilding the WP shocks. They are very difficult to put together correctly, and the seals and such have to be ordered from WP. I am sorry but I don’t think we are going to be able to help you with lowering your bike.

Thanks,

Dan

Soooooo,

Can anyone recommend a suspension shop with both WP and BMW experience that isn't afraid to tackle this project?

Thanks

Archived