IGNORED

Tents?? Camp Gear??

Firefight911

Here's my ultralight camping gear. It packs real small, weighs next to nothing, is good for short/long trips and is very reliable.

Golite Jam = 21 oz

Nice looking setup.

Why the Jam pack while on the bike? Just curious.

For 2-3 days hikes away from my bike. Most of my camping is not motorcycle camping.

I had used this AFC tent about 50/60 nights. Last morning of a trip, pouring down rain, it stayed where it's pictured with a note,"FREE" attached to it! I didn't like it that well and it did not owe me anything. Last seen in Newaygo, MI.

818896-AFCtent0004.jpg.1363a7cdffadc47a2c7d153ba9daea71.jpg

At 180 I shouldn't have had a problem then with mine - just 5 days of use and it's abrading the fabric through in the sling where it rubs against the frame and end pieces that don't always lock in place leaving me falling over. I wouldn't spend the $ on it again.

Jim

It sounds you are not assembling correctly or maybe there is a defect. They do have a warranty. I can put my fist between the frame and fabric back and not have either touch my hand. Don't know what to tell you except contact GCI and get it replaced under warranty. Hope this helps.
Hey Greg.

What would you say are the packing dimensions of that chair? It looks great.

I don't know the dimensions in inches, but it packs to about the size of a large stick of salami, maybe 4"X16".
Firefight911

Well, things are REALLY starting to come together!!

Kermit Chair - Check!!

Jet Boil Complete Cook System - Check!!

REI Half Dome 2 HC Tent w/ foot print - Check!!

One of the best things with this was that I just got my REI member rebate AND they are doing a 20% off one item sale right now!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Tent listed for $169 plus $25 for the foot print. Less $40 for my rebate and $36 for the tent discount made a very enjoyable day at REI!!!!

Thanks for all the tips so far!!

Keep them coming regarding all the other stuff.

Is it time for the UN yet?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Kermit Chair - Check!!

One of the best things with this was that I just got my REI member rebate AND they are doing a 20% off one item sale right now!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Tent listed for $169 plus $25 for the foot print. Less $40 for my rebate and $36 for the tent discount made a very enjoyable day at REI!!!!

Is it time for the UN yet?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

i've looking seriously at the rei half dome. were you able to see it set up? i like everything about it.

Firefight911

i've looking seriously at the rei half dome. were you able to see it set up? i like everything about it.

It was set up as a display and we had the sales dude come over and show us everything.

Tear down and set back up in less than 5 minutes. Shock cord poles, color coded rain fly so you don't put it on backwards, double door, double vestibule, tub design, yada, yada.

Very impressive. Packs up very small as well. Footprint is made for the tent and attaches to the pol legs.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Tried out the jet boil last night as well. Wow!!! I've never boiled water that fast!!

Super easy set up and take down. Very compact.

(Excitement ensues!!!!!!!!!) tongue.gifwink.gifcool.gif

hear you on the Kermit, great chair, but very pricey. I came across one of these sling chairs for around $30 from GCI Outdooors and have found it fits the bill for travel perfectly and is very comfortable, easy to set up too. The chair fits in a very small nylon case that is included. And, with a 275# load limit, I have room to grow into it. grin.gif

I found this chair at Campmor.com for $19.95 plus shipping. thumbsup.gif

Firefight911

As this still falls under camp gear, I won't start a new thread.

It appears that Thermarest appears to have the lion's share of the market for a barrier between the ground and the sleeping bag.

So, which one? Why? How do I know which pad to get for me? Are there other options available?

Looks like I am mostly set except for pad and sleeping bag.

I am getting awesome info on this subject from everyone!!!! Thanks for all of it and keep it coming? thumbsup.gifwave.gif

It appears that Thermarest appears to have the lion's share of the market for a barrier between the ground and the sleeping bag.

I've a long & lite purple thermarest. Generally it allows for sound sleeping with deep dreams. Though last May I overnited at Eisenhour (sp ?) state park in eastern kansas; got there at dark and didn't hear the first train til midnite; then every thirty minutes their sounds penetrated my eureka. No thermarest dreams or sleep that nite.

Wooster w/purple thermarest & pillow

bakerzdosen
So, which one? Why? How do I know which pad to get for me? Are there other options available?
Go back and read my first post in this thread. Nothing's changed.

Go over to REI (again) and notice how small the prolite3's are when packed. Then try one on the ground. If that doesn't work, try a 4.

I use Thermarest Camp Rest,(probably what's called the Base Camp today), that I purchased in 1994 as a pair. Never had any problems, no leaks, and still look great. Size 25"x77"x2". They have the Staytek surface on one side. All my sleeping bags by Slumberjack. I have a pair of Everest Elite +15 rectangle bags that I like to use for the wife and myself as they zip together. They pack fairly small and keep us warm. Filled with Dupont Micro-loft. I use an Odyessey +10 mummy bag for myself that packs real small and is warm. It's filled with Dupont Thermolite Extreme. I have an Everest Elite Explorer -30 that is for extreme cold, filled with Polarguard HV. It requires some room to pack. We carry Thermarest Deluxe Pillows. They pack small too!

Crazy_Canuck

I just purchased a Swiss Gear self inflating pad at my local Sams club for $24. The jury is still out on this though because I never tried a Thermorest. The price was right. I have seen Thermorests sold at Costco previous years past.

For all you camping fans, there is this site called Steep and Cheap that has awesome deals in the 50% to 70% range everyday. They list only one item until it sells off and then a new item pops up. Awesome deals! It's addictive! And if you like something, don't delay because it can sell out within a few minutes. The site is a microsite of BackCountry. I have no affiliation with them other than being a very addicted customer.

bakerzdosen
For all you camping fans, there is this site called Steep and Cheap that has awesome deals in the 50% to 70% range everyday.
SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop telling other people about it... (unless they're gonna come in and buy up the lousy stuff so we can get to the good stuff. smile.gif )

(<------Addicted too - just bought 5 things in the last week).

For all you camping fans, there is this site called Steep and Cheap that has awesome deals in the 50% to 70% range everyday.
SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop telling other people about it... (unless they're gonna come in and buy up the lousy stuff so we can get to the good stuff. smile.gif )

(<------Addicted too - just bought 5 things in the last week).

Dang! I bought 3 last week. You win. clap.gif

Kermit Chair - Check!!

Great choices ... especially with the REI discount / membership!

Firefight911

OK, we can now check off a sleep pad off the list of need to get items!!

Went to my favorite store tonight - REI. Checked everything out and decided upon the REI brand Camp Bed 2.5

Here it is: Camp Bed 2.5

The REI model was cheaper, came with a bag, and a repair kit as opposed to the Thermarest brand where they start more expensive and then you have to add in the extras, etc.

Now, help me out with sleeping bags.

I understand the meaning behind +0, +35, +15, etc. but what does this mean to the sleeping camper in the tent?

How do you know which is the right one? Concerns? Etc., etc., etc.

As always, thanks for the education and help!!! thumbsup.gifwave.gif

http://extremz.com/main/archive/snow/sbagratefeb96.htm

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/gear/knowhow/bag_temp.htm

Good luck....I would say if you are typically warm blooded (I am almost always warmer than most folks in cold conditions) go for one rated around freezing unless you have some serious cold weather camping in mind, and if you are typically cold get one rated for 20 degrees (or less). I prefer to be cold and put on some additional clothing myself....

Before you decide on a bag you need to look at how you sleep, how much weight and bulk your willing to put up with and the temps in which you're going to use it. A 20deg bag is going to be a lot bigger and heavier than a 45deg bag, and if you're only going to ever camp when it's 50deg or warmer, you'll be sweating like crazy in a 20deg bag. Also, the colder rated bags are generally going to be a snugger fit than a warmer bag. If you are comfortable sleeping on your back in a confining mummy bag then you can get a 20deg bag which is as small or smaller than a 35deg rectangular bag. If on the other hand you typically toss and turn and move around alot, you might be more comfortable in a rectangular bag. Personally, I would suggest you start looking at 35 or 45deg bags, they will probably be warm enough for you down to about freezing in a tent and if you get cold you can add clothes. If you up zip them some, you can likely be comfortable into the 60's or 70's. Above that you're probably on top of most any bag. Why not rent some and try them out in the back yard in the temps you expect to be camping?

Before you decide on a bag you need to look at how you sleep, how much weight and bulk your willing to put up with and the temps in which you're going to use it. ...

All good tips. One more consideration: do you want to get two bags that can zip together. Having HOT Jamie in there with you probably means you don't have to worry about getting cold wink.gifgrin.gif

Firefight911
One more consideration: do you want to get two bags that can zip together. Having HOT Jamie in there with you probably means you don't have to worry about getting cold wink.gifgrin.gif

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

grin.gifthumbsup.gif

And now a follow up!!

I got a sleeping bag.

Went with the REI Polar Long +20.

Here it is: Polar Pod +20 Long

So, with this now taken care of CAN WE PLEASE LEAVE FOR THE UNRALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing I need now is the all important coffee press but I got that one taken care of!!!!!

mOUNTAIN hARDWEAR...haven't been disappointed - bought 2 of 'em..one for me - one for when Moose & I head out...

High end without the price -

Google "Rockcreek Outfitters" outta Tennessee -- great folks and prices now would be good.. (better in January but still good now) -

Get a sleeping bag or two and some Thermarests while you are there too..!

Try Cabelas for cheap nice sleeping bags..

Crazy_Canuck

This post got me all excited about getting my camping gear together.

Tent - Check

Matress pad - Check

Sleeping bag - Check

Waterproof bags - Check

Kermit chair - Check

Stove - ?

Needed a little single burner stove and then I remembered that I had one in my backpack (from years ago before being married) so I went into the shed and presto there it was 20 years later. It is a SVEA 123, the design is about 100 years old but it is very reliable even at extreme altidudes and cold weather. It started right up after sitting 20 years WOW clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

It was looking a little worse for wear but it started

Sveaold.JPG

I took a little Brasso polish and now it looks like this.

Svea.JPG

Stove - Check

Has anyone heard of this stove?

Crazy_Canuck
Canuckster...

the stove might be a french made "GAZ"?? I think they only ran on white gas.

MB>

Nope it was made in Sweden (stamped in into the brass) cool.gif

Anyway, be careful with that OLD stove...if it has any old "o"rings that need replacement, now would be a good time to check.

I made the mistake of using my old ( mountain research)stove last year without a tune up...it had sat for 6 years..

BIG mistake! Biggest flame up I'd ever seen, and I just about couldn't control it...luckily I had a stick big enough to shove it towards the firepit..water wouldn't have helped..

( Phil, this is where you turn your head in disgust..)

MB>

Hi,

Yup,Svea 123.

One of the all time classics.

Looks like you already cleaned and inspected the working bits too!

It will probably outlast even the stoves that folks are buying today!

JR356

The most important thing is what do you want to do with the tent. I love my EMS Eclipse because it is fast to set up and break down and packs to less than the length of my other bags. I camp alone so the two person, more like one and a half of me, gives me room for stuff.

You may want to go to big box mart and buy a cheapo tent to see what works and doesnt work for you. You may find you hate it then your out very little money

As an update on L.L. Bean, they have started listing the other tents they carry other than their own brand. They also sell North Face, MSR, and Sierra Designs tents.

pic of Hillary tent with windows in all sides attached.

834115-scan0006.jpg.e647b519601d72423a07af74a5a51143.jpg

Archived